I feel so stupid

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
I was in a panic I went out to the barn to check the horses before going to bed

and our new colt born 1:00 this morning was sleeping and went in to check him

and I could not wake him up I picked him up and his head fell over the opposite way

I came running in the house (not easy when your getting older LOL)

called my husband got the vets emergency number and by the time i got back to the barn

my husband had woke him which he said wasn't easy and he was up nursing and just fine

in fact after nursing he was jumping around the stall

The vet laughed at me thank goodness I didn't wake him.

I had no idea they could sleep so sound, vet said they will surprise you how hard it can be

to wake them sometimes.

Man he scared me his eye was open a sliver I thought he was dying.

Lesson learned at least I didn't wake everyone in the middle of the night

Well don;t feel bad...you're sure not the only one that thought a sleeping foal was dead or on death's door. I freaked one time too, when a foal was born unexpectedly out in the pature. I swooped him up in my arms and ran to the barn with him, and mama following, and I was sure I had killed him as he was as limp as a noodle! As it turned out, he must have just fainted...scared because of the way I grabbed him and ran! I truely believe that this is nature's way of letting them die without feeling pain if a predator was to take them. At least that is what I tell myself.
default_yes.gif
:

Oh TOO funny LOL. So pleased there was such a happy ending
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: (that's the kind of thing I'd do)

I know just how you felt. Five years ago, when our first newborn foal was two days old, I went out to the barn to show my sister-in-law the new foal, I could not wake her up. I kept talking to her, shook her and even yelled but she wouldn't budge. I was sure she had died or was close to it. I even lifted her up - nothing. Finally, just when I was about to call the vet the little stinker woke up an looked at me like "what is wrong with you lady?" Way too scary....

I know just how you felt. Five years ago, when our first newborn foal was two days old, I went out to the barn to show my sister-in-law the new foal, I could not wake her up. I kept talking to her, shook her and even yelled but she wouldn't budge. I was sure she had died or was close to it. I even lifted her up - nothing. Finally, just when I was about to call the vet the little stinker woke up an looked at me like "what is wrong with you lady?" Way too scary....
don't relax too much. I had a foal that did exactly that last season. I carried a perfectly healthy foal and mom into the Stable, settled him down and went to make mom some feed. While she was feeding, I took the opportunity to "mother-up" the foal. I went over to where he was sitting and he was basically dead!!. Apparently, he was deprived of oxygen thru a VERY fast delivery and he spent the next 24 hours periodically falling into a 'death-sleep' . I have never been ssooo haappy that I bought that Foal-resuscitator...every Breeder should have one!!!! Luckily, this turned out OK with 24 hours of hard, stressful work, with a fabulous little horse named "Trooper", cos he fought like one!!!
default_yes.gif
:

I've not done that with a foal--and now I know to not panic right away, but when we first had minis 11 years ago, an older mare was laying in the lot on her side. She was very pregnant and the two legs on top were up in the air and she looked dead. I yelled to her from outside the pen and no response. Then I went into the pen and yelled at her from right next to her. Still no response. Now I am nearly in tears and decide to move her front leg. She jumped up, I jumped back and fell on my backside and she gave me the dirtiest look for interrupting her nap. I have learned not to panic when I look in the lot since then.
default_yes.gif
:

I have done that with a puppy I was so scared

I am glad all is well. One time I was showing a little filly to a potential buyer and she would nto move. My heart was pounding. I jumped in my golf cart didnt say a word and left the buyer in the field. By the time I got to the gate I turned around and the buyer was petting and kissing her all over. I went back and apolgized for act like a nut
default_wub.png
:

She scared me to pieces. Now looking back I dont even know where I was going in the golf cart???

LOL, hey, better safe than sorry!! Dont know that I've ever had one sleep that soundly- he must have had a hard day, LOL Glad everything is ok!

Latest posts

Back