I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
I have been resisting puppy lust for the LONGEST time! I have talked to dog breeders across the nation, and almost bought a couple of pups, but resisted because of shipping, or price, or the fact that my dryer and stove have a suicide pact!

But, it finally got me! Last Thursday we went and picked up a 9 week old Australian Shepard puppy!!! He's a red merle, and sweet as can be. Of course, I've had VERY little sleep since then!!
default_wacko.png
: It was a bit of a rocky start, but he's fitting in very nicely. He seems to be a mellow pup...he's sleeping on the couch with Kris right now.

He's bigger than what I had in mind, but I don't care! He's sweet as the dickens and is so smart! I'll take him to horse shows with me this year...he's still going to learn to ride in the cart!

If anyone can help me post a picture, I would appreciate it...I'm horridly inept about that!

Kim R

Congratulations on your new puppy! :aktion033: He sounds adorable!
default_smile.png

Congratulations! I love the merles.

We have a full size Aussie and a mini Aussie. We've been shopping for another mini Aussie, but haven't found the right one yet - at least that isn't on the other side of the USA!

Will you be posting photos? Name?

I'm REALLY bad at pictures, so can someone help me with them? The pup's name is Loki...and he's doing very well with his housebreaking at the moment!!! No accidents....yet!

Kim R.

Since you bought an Australian Shepard puppy and everyone is waiting for pictures. I thought I'd share pics of my black-tri Aussie.

Bridgette just turned 10 years old on Jan 17, these pictures were taken summer 2004.

bridgette2004.jpg

Bridgette-Aug2004.jpg

And here's her puppy pic (only one I have on the computer, I didn't have a digital when she was a pup).

Bridgette.jpg

Thanks Tammy!!! Kyle took those the first evening we had him...they're kind of dark, but you can see his adorable little face...Loki is getting more and more comfortable...he's even trying to get our older dog, Ash, to play....Ash is not amused! He's gone nose to nose with the cats, and wisely backed down...thought I did let him bark at a cat to keep her away from his food. He even went into the pasture with me today...and the horses were fascinated!!! YaYa wanted to take him out though!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: I'm looking forward to him growing up...he's more mellow than I thought he would be...but maybe he's just getting used to us first!!!

Kim R.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is cute......I found with my aussie that it took a full month before his true personality kicked in and he felt settled. I am guessing with a young pup it will take that long plus he is going to go through some of the developmental stages at the same time......around 10-12 weeks they tend to go through the meek or afraid of new things stage...the best way to go through that is with puppy kindergarten classes to keep the socializing going........watch him close so the horses don't scare him........my guy readily took to NOT chasing horses as I didn't allow it and I kept him out of harms way so he didn't feel the need to get one because it "started it" I have a mare who does try to take on new dogs and would stomp them if I didn't intervene in the first few meetings :bgrin :bgrin so are you going to do herding trials with him? or stock trials? they abound in our area and we have both top aussie trialers and one of the premier BC trainer/trialer/breeders located right here in the emmett valley...( she sold a BC for 10,000 :new_shocked: )

congrats on your new addition. Runamuks advice is very good! My biggest advice is to NOT let them try to chase or herd horses right from the get go. Is your pup from working lines or show lines? what's the pedigree on your new boy (always intrested in pedigrees..love researching them) that could make a large differnce to start with but i think even working lines will try to chase/herd if given the chance. Aussies need LOTS of socialization so please don't skip it and think they'll be just fine... I can't say how frustrated i get when i hear of aussies that weren't and end up in shelters or bad situations because of someones ignorance.

Since someone else was showing photo's of theirs..here's a few of mine (all working farm dogs).

14_web_page2.JPG

Boinky my stud dog

14_Rheba_seven.JPG

rheba my bitch

http://www.mybuilderadvantage.com/user_fil...and%20sheep.JPG

Quiggly, who is a daughter to the above to dogs and has been shown once but will be shown again this winter some. Truly lovely girl and hopefully will be my versatility dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rory...I am starting to work with a trainer in a couple of weeks, we'll start with puppy classes, and then may go into some agility. I talked to Suzanne about his scardy cat behavior...and I think he's coming out of it a little. It will be interesting to see what kind of dog he turns into. Right now, he's really mellow...content to sleep at our feet, or on the couch. But then again, he was delightfully chewing on Kris' toes too!
default_rolleyes.gif
: I keep him separated by the horses...I have several who will stomp him!

Boinky, you have the PRETTIEST DOGS!!! I don't know his pedigree. He isn't registered. His parents are working dogs that live on a ranch...they don't bother with papers there. He'll be neutered, so papers aren't a big deal to me...my plan is that he will go lots of places. I plan on having him socialized well enough to go to shows with me.

Kim R.

The scardey cat is a development stage it kicks in between 9 and 12 weeks and then again near 7 months to a year.....different dogs and different breeds go through this in all manners.......the trick is to make socializing fun through this period without it becoming too much pressure....this is why so many breeders either place pups in their new homes at 8 weeks or after the fraidy cats it usually isn't long lasting if you can balance socializing and security.......

The worst thing that can happen I live with every day........our poodle was tormented by neighbor kids during the second scardey stage which often is when they can become overly defensive.......so I didn't catch on until it was too late and our poodle will eat people coming onto our property.....it is a real pain in the butt...and it is our fault we didn't realize what was going on and by the time we went into remedial training he was set on defend......he is fine away like at gundog trials and out hunting but he is wretched at home......

the biggest thing is to make all scarey encounters fun and keep him feeling secure so he can investigate .....watch it with real loud noises and scoldings these aussies don't take much in the way of a firm tone to think they are in big trouble.....some are more hard headed but for the most part a disapproving "bad dog" will have them apologizing profusely :bgrin

I caught him with my slipper today...he didn't destroy it, he just untied it...I verbally told him "Bad dog"...but he may be getting over the scardy thing...at least he's more confident around here. He was chasing Ash outside, trying to get him to play! Ash was not amused!!! :lol:

Kim R.

Beautiful puppy! Does he have blue eyes? Our first aussie came from a breeder in Idaho, I did get her from a pet store, I know , I know not where you are surpose to buy from. But she was an awesome dog, with a non aussie like temperment for the most part. She did like to chase a few of the cats though. But she is no longer with us, and was just wondering if yours might be related to her. So, I was wondering do you remember who you bought your pup from I believe the lady that bred ours was Terry something, I did talk to her a few times. Was trying to get her stock dog registeration papers, but never did happen.

Oh by the way we just had a litter of Aussie pups , I can't figure out how to post them on here, but you can view them on my website at
http://mistyacresfarm.bravehost.com/My Webpageaussiepups.html

Good luck with your pup.

The breeder was a horse trainer named Dell. Loki has one blue eye, the other one is kind of a hazel color. I don't know if it will turn brown or not. He is getting sweeter and braver every day! He's doing very well with house breaking...and he actually tried to chase a cat today!!! (I stopped him, of course!) I think he's fascinated with the manx because the cat has a tail just like Loki!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Kim R

Glad he is feeling at home.. I would and very soon get your hot fence back up as he WILL jump easily over your fencing and in with your horses We had an aussie who would scale a 6 ft cement block wall just for the challenge of getting over it she would then go lay on the front porch lol

Glad he is feeling at home.. I would and very soon get your hot fence back up as he WILL jump easily over your fencing and in with your horses We had an aussie who would scale a 6 ft cement block wall just for the challenge of getting over it she would then go lay on the front porch lol
They are definitely pretty good climbers. My girl is getting a little too old now, but my husband's heeler likes to sit on top of the round bale hay stacks and survey his domain; Bridgette will still climb the stacks when she feels up to it.

Back