Need Puppy Help!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boinky

Reaction score
Ok so i rescued a little stray puppy that was running around the neighborhood. I'm not sure if someone dumped him (which seems common around here or uncared for dogs in general) or if he ran away. Find it hard to believe he ran away because he seems to stick to me like velcro. my neighbor called and said he was in her garage and asked if i'd come take a look at him (we are both suckers for mercy cases). I get there and he's this little cream colored long haired thing i would guess not more than 13 weeks IF that..but he is COVERED in burrs (the sharp hard ouchy kind) from head to toe.. I started picking them out by hand but it would have taken days and poor little guy i don't know how he could move let alone lay down or anything comfortably. I finally made the decision to just take scissors and start cutting his hair off (i could get under the burrs with the scissors). My guess is he has some chow in him but only because he has that really broad convexed snout. He has long fluffy cream hair. cute as can be though.

anyhow we found him yesterday afternoon just before dark. took me a couple hours just to cut out all the burrs. My neighbor couldnt' keep him at her house for various reasons so i offered to bring him home where he could be in a warm house ina puppy crate. anyhow he's so wiped out.. he was very lethargic last night but looked healthy otherwise. not real thin or anything. Toe nails i noticed are nice and short unlike most pups that grow real long and sharp if not trimmed....which leads me to believe he must have been trimmed some in his short life. My neighbor fed him some of her dog food when he was there then I fed him some of mine last night and today and gave him a dose of Poly Vit al baby vitimins (which was what i was told to put in the puppy formula recipee so i know it's safe for dogs). Figured he could use the boost of vitimins probably. I gave him a bath as soon as I got home using suave shampoo, he wasn't filthy but wasn't real clean either..plus i had sprayed oil hair spray stuff in him to see if i could pull the burrs out easier so he was greecy and gross.

This evening when i picked him up to take him out to potty he has scabby sores under his armpits and some minor ones on his belly/crotch region. i've never had/seen mange and i'm praying it's not something contageous like that since i have EIGHT other dogs...i'm a little nervous about that!!! would be my just deserts for doing something nice i figure...just my luck!! He's not chewing madly ...and i know he hasn't chewed/licked most of the day..he mostly sleeps and he's only been out of my sight for a few hours at most today.

Again it looks a bit scabbed and almost pussy oozy under/around..... I researched mange a bit... if anything it sounds more like the non-contageous type but even then it doesn't sound super like mange.... anyone else have any idea's of what it might be or even things to research??? I wonder if it's not an allergy to one of the two foods, the shampoo and/or spray or whatever. Help?!?!?

Edited to add: I Know he didn't have the sores last night as i cut allt he hair all over his body including his legs ect just last night..... I'm almost sure that he didnt' have it this morning either..but i didnt' actually LOOK there.. whatever it is has come on in a very short time within 24 hours but most likely a lot less time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey!

If he had lots of burrs and has been walking around, getting damp possibly ect ect. It is very possible that it could be a skin infection. We see alot of puppies come in with a skin infection at some point during thier puppy-hood. We call it puppy pyoderma. It could just be a more severe infection due to being outside, Im just thinking this due to the locations (armpits, groin) where alot of moisture can get trapped, especially if there is matted, burred up hair! For tonight you could wash with hibitane soap and put some polysporin on it. But I would take him to a vet soon just in case it is something else or if it needs antibiotics to clear it up!

Thanks for taking this little guy in!!
default_wub.png

ETA: It could be a reaction to the shampoo too.

Last edited by a moderator:
umm not sure what kind of soap that is..lol probably dont' have it!! not even sure i have any polysporin either..LOL need to dig through my million and one first aid kits (my mom is a OR nurse and gets all kinds of good "stuff " free that they just throw away) to see if i have any polysporin or anything. I thought about giving him a bit of benedrly but i was just geting ready to go look it up online and see if it was safe for dogs. He's not licking it a lot but i've been watching him and it seems to be kinda interrupting his sleep it makes him twitch a little and wake up and he'll lick it a little. Poor lil guy is all i can say. I do NOT plan to keep him..this is just a temporary "foster" type deal until we can find him someplace else more permanent..hopefully not more than a week or so..i have too many dogs as it is..but i couldn't leave him out in the cold even with all his hair..then of course when i cut it off that would have just been aweful!! as for antibiotics if i knew which one to give him i probably already have them..

Hummm I coudlnt' find any in the few kits i looked through last night..lol might have to call her and aks her to mail me some sometime when there is some available!!

Latest posts

Back