I am taking my Stallion to a 4th of July Parade 2morrow

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Minis

Reaction score
I am taking my 4 year Stallion to a 4th of July parade tomorrow. He whinnies alot around horses but all in all is pretty good. I dont know if he has ever been in the middle of town before. Are there any tricks I can do to keep him calm and not mare crazy??? I heard about the vicks in the nose, should I try that??

Thanks in advance for your advice ! :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:

Get there early and walk him around all the things he may be afaid of before the

parade starts. Its easier to hang on to him then than when there are a million kids

on the side . Ours have always surprised us at how well they accepted all the hustle

and bustle and noise. They were not too crazy about the fire truck sirens!! But did not

go crazy. Have fun. Be sure to take pics !! We want to see!! Maryann

Last edited by a moderator:
We do parades too. We try and stay as far back from sirens as possible. Also, we try and take the horses "to town" on a weekend before the parade and walk them around getting them familiar with things in the town. People coming up to them, street noises, cars being closer than normal to them, etc.

One thing that surprised us is the plate glass windows. Most horses have never seen their refection so clearly. My horses thought it was another horse and freaked them out. Then we took them closer and they could not smell another horse and calmed down. But that was something I had never thought about before.....

Other than keep a good hold on your horse - Go enjoy and have a great time. We will be parading down the middle of the street with 3 horses this year (if it doesn't storm!)

I don't know if you usually use a chain or not but it might be a good idea to have one just in case you need it, sometimes it only takes a minute with a chain to get them focused back on you then if you wish you can always take it off. Have Fun!
default_yes.gif
:

Ash :saludando:

Vicks near the nose and cotton in the ears.

Ditto!

And have a "header" person walking along side -- just incase.

Other than that........plenty of water for both you and your horse, a camera, and have fun!

MA

We've never had trouble at parades. The horses seem to thoroughly enjoy them. We will be taking 4 horses and carts to a parade tomorrow.

Have fun.

Stephanie

Yes, please take pictures for those of us who can't make it to any parades this year. :lol: :lol:

I am an 'inmate' in a nursing home right now recovering from knee replacement surgery so no parades and no fireworks other than what is on tv. :saludando:

Latest posts

Back