First experience with a wildly aggressive little stud horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have one more. Lol. This is Rocky talking to my Annabelle. You can see my little ole Peanut in the back ground.

image.jpg

You have been given some great advice here Kim
default_smile.png

Give him time , the things that Enlighten his senses will gradually disappear and he will be more of the gelding and less of the stallion , that he is so used to being
default_smile.png

Keep us posted on his progress , hes a lovely looking boy. cant believe how Annabelle has grown so quickly
default_smile.png

Glad he is coming round- I would say he just needed time, but judging by the pictures he is also going to need some discipline! I have five stallions at the moment and none of them is lonely, I can assure you, it is purely down to management. None of them behaves, has ever behaved, or would DREAM of behaving like your little man, either! Three are in together, one is next door to the "ladies in waiting" one is just a colt, and currently stalled next door to his "sister" and learning some manners for the coming season and one is up the road on his own at the moment and has the biggest human fan club- I wondered why his waistline was not decreasing!!! As others have said it is just how they are managed but there is no reason for it, none at all.

I am so glad to hear that stallions can be together! Makes my heart happy! Rocky is getting lots of love and attention. She started disciplining him from the minute he got there!

As for yours and his waistline lol , I have 4 that get treats from the 2 runners that run by our house. One has a dog that runs with her that absolutely loves my little horses. She asked permission to give them a carrot when she runs. Did not know if they were on a special diet. They need to be, but they aren't too fat nor do I show. Just pets.

They get lots of attention from passerbys. We live on corner and bridge was washed out during flood so they are famous now. I laughed at a truck that has found us yesterday. As they were passing going very slow, a little girl was yelling out the window, "hello ponies, hello ponies". They got to the corner and she yelled at one that did not look up at her " ponie, do you hear me, I am talking to you! Hello ponie! Listen to me!"

Short story. We had a Thoroughbred stud at my grandfathers that was 12 years old. He had been alone in a pasture for nearly 8 years. He was fairly good with people he liked but awful with people he didn't like. Grandfather got sick. Aunt wanted the horse put down. Everyone said he'd never be a good horse. I disagreed. Got him cut. Seemed like he was worse for about a month. Then, slowly, he got a little better. I put him in with a gelding. 6 months later I let him run with just mares. A year after that I turned him out with a mixed herd. None of these transitions were easy per-say but they were not dangerous either. He first needed to learn how to be with another horse. 4 years stalled alone at a track then 8 years alone in a pasture is not normal. Then he had to learn about horse pecking order. Now he's being ridden in mixed groups. It took some time but he came around on his own. He's a big freaking puppy dog now.

Moral of the story. I think the progress you are seeing show's you are doing the right things.

I know that round penning is has fans for and against it. However, it is one of the tools I used with the above stallion to gain respect. I didn't use it to punish him but to show him that when I ask for something I mean it.

Oh MajorClementine, I am so glad that you took time with that horse. It is such a sad story with an awesome ending! I am so glad that he is happy now! We are not going to give up on Rocky either.

At one point I had 15 stallions here, and although they were separated with their mares for breeding season, I ran almost all of them in a bachelor herd after the breeding season had passed. The majority of them came from other places, and I heard horror stories about several of them, but each fall, I put a large "round bale" of hay in a "new" pasture where no one had "territorial rights" from earlier in the season, and then moved in each stallion one by one with me walking them in the "new" paddock to be there to discourage any bad behavior or "sassy" boy behavior. After all were together for a day or so, and eating well and behaving, I moved them to the larger wintering pasture area, and they got along just fine.

I did keep a couple of my "senior" old Falabella gentlemen with their "mares" over the winter, as the Falabella gents like to be with their girls, and they were well mannered with the girls and new foals.

Keep working with him, and I think you'll be very happy with the outcome. Thanks for sharing the progress with us!

I am totally with Mona. This is and was an unruly horse. My stallions are as gentle as any mares or geldings on the farm. They are good with kids. Always need cautions if mares in heat close by. While gelding may tone down a stallion, in my opinion not enough to make it a kid friendly/trustworthy horse for kids or adults who want nice pets. Given the situation there, I say it is not worth trying to take a wait and see and hope approach.

I haven't read all the comments but I ask, does this little fellow have room to RUN.

I know of a stallion who had spent his entire life stabled,yarded and shown and was a complete nut case. After despairing for a while the new owners let him loose in a huge paddock and he ran until he couldn't run any more. After that he was a real little love.

Latest posts

Back