I am so Weak!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess

Reaction score
*pics added on second page*

Well I did something I swore up and down I would never do. I now own a Quarter Horse. I've always been an english rider Saddle Seat, Jumping and Dressage are my thing but earlier this year a friend who is a strictly western rider convinced me to fill in for someone who was sick at a team penning-sorting event I went to with her to watch. Well by the end of the day I was hooked. It was so much fun and those guys are crazy. My kind of crew. I had NO thoughts of getting another horse. I had actually just cut down from four to two. Went to the tack shop yesterday and was talking to the woman who owns it and she has a horse boarded at her place that is a bucker not bad but too much to handle for his sensitive teenage rider. When he gets her off she puts him back in the barn in tears. Well I love a horse with some pee and vinager in it so I said I'd go look at him. He's almost black with white hind socks, a star, and his whole muzzle is white like he dipped it in milk. Saddled him up got on prepared for the bucking and sure enough after five minutes it started but not bad. Other then that it's obvious that at some point someone put quite a bit of training into him. Once he realized I wasn't going off he rode like a dream. Acts like he had some reining training, as he'll do sliding stops and spins on a dime. I fell in love and that was the end of my will power so I now own two breeds I swore I'd never own and love them both. The other one is my killer Appaloosa who was headed to slaughter if I didn't buy him because of his dangerous behavior for an english junkie I'm sure aquiring the wrong breeds. I'm going to start working Jacob on cattle in a few weeks with help from the trainer where the team penning was held. Rob Butts owns a team penning place about 2 miles from my house and he's been after me to ride with them. Now I can. I wouldn't doubt that he's been around cattle before as he came from somewhere out west. He's branded but I can't really read it with his woolies on. I think it's a 51 or an SJ. How do I find out where he came from once I can tell what his brand actually is? I'm really fighting the urge to clip where it is so I can tell what it is. Also what are the in fashion colors for a very dark horse as we may do some local pleasure shows this summer. Pics tomorrow I took some tonight but they didn't come out well to dark so all you can really see are his white markings and his outline. My boyfriend might kill me when he gets home from work tonight and finds out I bought another horse and now need all the gear to go with it. Watch out ebay here I come. Oh what kind of saddle do I need is there an all purpose type western saddle one that would be fine for local shows, trail rides and the team penning? What is a good brand of western saddle? Is it better to get a new one or a used one? I'm sure I'll have a few more questions about what I'll need and what the best brands are as I want to get the right equipment and not end up with a crappy saddle. So much for repeating over and over that I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER HORSE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!

Sonny's a dark bay with chrome and his show pads were all beige based. One has marune & black stripping though it and the other one has dark green and black stripping on it and then there is one that is beige based with navy blue stripping.

My favorite show saddle is my light oil pleasure saddle by Crates that I will never part with and another one that I had made by Teddy McClennon (McClennon's) that is also light oil. I have another one by American USA that is not bad that I can hack with, but not nearly the quality of the others.

My chaps were beige or black or navy and hats matched.

We chased a few cows too in our day just cutting the fool, but I reighned (terribly) mostly on Dan's mare, Katie. She was a lighter bay but wore the same basic colors. Use a whole lot of leg protection or you'll wreck him real quick.

Good luck! and for pete's sakes, be careful with the cowboying
default_yes.gif
:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: Pictures, I wanna see pictures!!!

Congrats on your new guy. Hope your boyfriend didn't kill you last night when he found out. :bgrin

Alicia

p.s. whatever happned to your little mink fella? Is he still doing well?

Hehehe, I love it when an english rider comes over to the dark side. :bgrin It is fun though isn't it? I did some team penning last year with my QH Daisy but we didn't have the luxury of the real deal so we used goats. Talk about funny and they weren't the least bit cooperative. I think we spent more time laughing at each other than trying to be serious about it. This year it's going to be horse soccer. I can hardly wait!

I can't recommend a specific brand because it's such an individual thing. It depends on your and your horse's anatomy that makes the best fit. I was fortunate enough to find a newer Circle Y on EBay that was in great shape and the right fit but only because I've had the same one in the past and knew after a lot of trial and error that one works best for me. I prefer a roping saddle, in style and balance, even though I don't rope but it's the most comfortable type I've found for my butt and my horse's back.

It goes without being said but if you can, try to borrow or ride in as many types as you can before making a commitment. Anything decent is going to cost you a lot but it's well worth it when you have the right one.

Well I did something I swore up and down I would never do. I now own a Quarter Horse. I've always been an english rider Saddle Seat, Jumping and Dressage are my thing but earlier this year a friend who is a strictly western rider convinced me to fill in for someone who was sick at a team penning-sorting event I went to with her to watch. Well by the end of the day I was hooked. It was so much fun and those guys are crazy. My kind of crew. ...

Oh what kind of saddle do I need is there an all purpose type western saddle one that would be fine for local shows, trail rides and the team penning? What is a good brand of western saddle? Is it better to get a new one or a used one? I'm sure I'll have a few more questions about what I'll need and what the best brands are as I want to get the right equipment and not end up with a crappy saddle. So much for repeating over and over that I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER HORSE.

If he is registered, just follow back the list of owners, and that should help you find out all the particulars about him. If not, I don't know enough about brands to help you. He sounds beautiful, and like you will have a lot of fun with him.

too fun!! :aktion033: :aktion033: like i always say, hey, what's ONE more ?!?!? (could that be why we have 27 on our proprty doyou think???)
default_wacko.png
:

A QH convert, yeah! :aktion033: Congrats on the new boy, he sounds like a nice looking fellow!

Hehehe, I love it when an english rider comes over to the dark side.
:bgrin LOL I'm a mostly western rider from way back, so I do too. Congrats, sounds like fun. I'm envious - would love a new one to ride but not in the cards right now. Have 3, one geriatric QH and two APHA that need to find jobs. For color in the showring, look at Hobby Horses website/catalog - they have a good color wheel for reference to what is good with horse colors. www.hobbyhorseinc.com I believe.Jan

Congratulations!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Here I wanted to sell two and get a Morgan filly and now I have 2 new Morgan fillies...hubby was showing a lot more interest in the girls with the Morgan additions... he was asking who was who... he knows Mercy has the pink blanket and Freedom looks like Mercy...he and Neffie had a scratch session...and he started talking about finding a bigger farm and a better house that is configured for a family... :new_shocked:

Don't know what is in the water here but he better keep drinking it!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

235621741.jpg

235625725.jpg

235632099.jpg

235632086.jpg

Here he is with my five year old daughter Rachel. He's about 15.2 - 15.3 hands tall. Rachel is 3' 11" and about 60 pounds she's big in both size and maturity and handles him like an old pro. I would've had pics up sooner but photobucket has been a huge PITA the last couple days. I'd post a video but have no clue where to even start and I totally give up on photobucket it hates me. If someone wants to post a video for me or tell me how to go about it without using photobucket I'd be glad to. I am so in love with this naughty boy. The one thing I'm trying to undo is the fact that he's been trained to shake. He sticks out his hoof every time you give him a treat. It's cute but can be dangerous as he doesn't just hold it up he waves it too. Sorry the pics aren't very good but these came off my cell phone. Thank you all for the kind words and info. I'm quite happy about joining the dark side LOL. Oh the mink(Jasper) is still around comes and goes but is our version of a cat. He follows the plumbing into the house when he's in need of attention. We go days with out seeing him to the point where I think he's gone for good and then he'll scare the crap out of us by showing up in our bedroom or the bathroom. I love that little begger. He still lets me pet him. Hmm goats huh? I have three goats I wonder if I can practice on them? Hopefully your goats are smarter then mine. They'd just stand there and let the horses run them over.......Gotta love those goats.......Oh one other question I don't have his papers so should I have him tested for HYPP? Hmm I think that's what it's called if I remember right or is it not really a big deal. I was told he has quite a bit of Impressive blood in him but to my knowledge (which is VERY limited with QH bloodlines)so don't most QH's. Is it something to be concerned with or do I just not really worry about it?

:aktion033: Yay! Pictures! he is so cute, thanks for sharing. I love his white nose.....too cute! If it were ME, I would definatley get him tested for HYPP. It can be dangerous, if you are riding him and he has a "spell". I would rather be informed than not. Glad to hear the little mink is still doing well, too funny he keeps showing up. He must have a sense of humor, to scare the heck out of you time after time. Little brat!

Alicia

Latest posts

Back