I am FREAKED OUT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
In late July I got a call from a lady close to my home that is a small time mini breeder,

she asked me if I wanted to buy this 4 year old 28" mare that she had picked up a couple of months earlier at an auction. I was told she was purchased at auction very heavy in foal and VERY timid and scared of people. When the foal was born it had it's nostrils fused shut and had a very severe monkey jaw. Foal died an hour after it was born.

The reason she said she was calling me she said was because she knew I had another 28" mini and a small mini donkey and she wanted this mare to go to a home with no kids and where she would NOT be bred ever again. I do not breed my animals EVER. I said I will talk to my husband and get back to you.

It took me almost 2 weeks to get back to her to tell her I would be happy to take the little mare at which time I was told she had bred her for a 3 day period and she may be in foal. She said BONUS if she is you get a free foal. I am not a confrontational person so I did not bother to ask WHY she bred her after saying she never wanted her bred again. I just took her hoping that she was not in foal. Well a blood test confirmed she is in foal for a July baby.

I have since checked with my vet who says the previous foals problems were probably congenital BUT on whose side Sire or Dam ?? So far her pregnancy seems to be progressing normally but I am really worried about the baby and her size etc.

I have foaled out one miniature several years ago but that mare was 36" and then I have assisted many large horses.

Please give me any helpful info that you may have that you think I should know.

I have watched the red bag delivery and read much on delivery I have watched many foaling video's. I don't know if I will be getting a camera or not but if not I will be sleeping in the barn with her when the time comes close. I am already getting my foaling kit ready.

I would appreciate any advice, tips or anything else you want to give me ... my vet is over 10 minutes away so I have to be prepared for everything as he likely would not get here in time.

Thanks

In late July I got a call from a lady close to my home that is a small time mini breeder,she asked me if I wanted to buy this 4 year old 28" mare that she had picked up a couple of months earlier at an auction. I was told she was purchased at auction very heavy in foal and VERY timid and scared of people. When the foal was born it had it's nostrils fused shut and had a very severe monkey jaw. Foal died an hour after it was born.

The reason she said she was calling me she said was because she knew I had another 28" mini and a small mini donkey and she wanted this mare to go to a home with no kids and where she would NOT be bred ever again. I do not breed my animals EVER. I said I will talk to my husband and get back to you.

It took me almost 2 weeks to get back to her to tell her I would be happy to take the little mare at which time I was told she had bred her for a 3 day period and she may be in foal. She said BONUS if she is you get a free foal. I am not a confrontational person so I did not bother to ask WHY she bred her after saying she never wanted her bred again. I just took her hoping that she was not in foal. Well a blood test confirmed she is in foal for a July baby.

I have since checked with my vet who says the previous foals problems were probably congenital BUT on whose side Sire or Dam ?? So far her pregnancy seems to be progressing normally but I am really worried about the baby and her size etc.

I have foaled out one miniature several years ago but that mare was 36" and then I have assisted many large horses.

Please give me any helpful info that you may have that you think I should know.

I have watched the red bag delivery and read much on delivery I have watched many foaling video's. I don't know if I will be getting a camera or not but if not I will be sleeping in the barn with her when the time comes close. I am already getting my foaling kit ready.

I would appreciate any advice, tips or anything else you want to give me ... my vet is over 10 minutes away so I have to be prepared for everything as he likely would not get here in time.

Thanks

I cannot offer a lot of advise but just wanted to say "things happen for a reason." This mare is obviously in the hands of someone who wants to take care of it. Not to say that the previous owners did not care but at least you are inquiring and resourceful. The fact that you are laying out a plan speaks volumes. Will be sending up prayers for a normal foal.
default_pray.gif

Thanks Vickie, I absolutley care .. Apparently she foaled out okay (normally) last time

except the baby was deformed. I just fret as she is so little. She is a very healthy mare and she is well taken care of I guess I am just being a worried Mom
default_rolleyes.gif

I just really worry about her losing another baby and what that might do to her

mentally. She is very maternal with my 1.5 yr old filly. I am sure as her pregnancy

progresses I will have more specific questions for the mini experts here.

Latest posts

Back