Hunter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis_4ever<3

Reaction score
my horse is good at jumping :bgrin and we have this show comming up !!! and she hasn't done too well in hunter lightly :no: what are some tips for at the show ???? for hunter and jumper???

how do i make her go faster???
default_unsure.png
:

-Cara

Hunter isn't about speed but about style.....low and slow....it is a style in hunter.................talk to ruffntuff she has alot of hunter background

You also can canter in hunter. Some horses won't jump if they go too slow. In Open Hunter Under at AMHR Nationals, the win went to a horse that cantered. In Open Hunter Over, the win went to a horse that trotted. Figure out what pace suits your horse best and go with that.

yes, as was mentioned, you do not want speed but rather style and manners. A horse that moves smoothly and maintains a single gait will place better than one that rushes.

Practice running with your horse and teach them to read your body language as far as changing direction (smoothness of turns and direction changes).

Also practice many types of jumps and focus on the manners and a quiet way of going.

I know we just started in Hunter this year, but our big one has been "getting over" himself in the ring b/c he's been a halter horse, he thinks it's time to be spunky in the ring so I MAY change to Jumper as my gelding matures since I didn't want to push him too hard his first year jumping (he's just 3), but rather focus on learning and conditioning up. Just offering some things I've observed.

One of the top Hunters in our region is a trotter. He trots fairly quickly, but he keeps the same exact pace and clears each fence neatly, with exactly the right room to spare (i.e. not overjumping or underjumping the fences), and he moves smoothly off his handler as in when she moves her lead hand over, he begins to turn/bend. It's great to watch, and obviously has taken them a long time to get perfect, but it's the epitome of what the rule book describes.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

Too make your horse go faster in JUMPER take a whip with you. Not judged on how well your horse performs really. Just make it clear the first round, and the finalle just go fast. Honestly, the judges don't even need to be there lol.

Don't take the whip with you in HUNTER. It's against the rules. Like eveyone has said, it is judged on style of the horse, and also IMO you
default_yes.gif
:

Be careful using the whip in jumper. You want your horse to enjoy jumping and not be distracted by the whip. If you are going to use a whip, never hit your horse as he is approaching take-off. You could make him loose his balance.

Latest posts

Back