How's the Weather ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willow Flats is she a Miniature or Standard? She's very lovely! 😍

If I'd answered this thread 2 weeks ago until yesterday I'd have been echoing most of the above: hot, hot, humid + hot, humid + dangerously hot.

My neighbor works construction. He came home early 4 times in 9 work days with cramps and dehydrated. It's been worrisome trying to get a 23 year old to respect what Mother Nature can do.

So far this hurricane season we've had remnants from one storm do major damage to counties in Western NC. Remnants of Ida just grazed our flanks near that same area but blew by quickly. That last system pushed more sticky icky weather our way through yesterday.

Today though is a glorious fall-is-coming-soon day! It was in the 90's like the last few weeks have been yet without the stifling humidity so it felt much cooler. 🙃 And tonight...blessed cool air!! Chilly cool air. Like...I need a blanket and sockies cool air!!!🤗🥰 I'm hoping this front will stay seated here long enough to direct Hurricane Larry on a path to the middle Atlantic away from land. Southern Mexico, Central America, the Gulf of Mexico states, the Mississippi Valley and the Norteast U.S. have already been smacked around pretty thoroughly by this hurricane season. The scary part is that we're just entering the busiest months.😳

My heart breaks when I look at the live satellite views of the west coast. Northern California, Nevada and Idaho are all places I've lived in and loved. To see the smoke plumes rising so high from the Tahoe area and blanketing Nevada...like I said, it's heartbreaking. I don't know how anyone or anything breathes in it. Unlike hurricanes you can't predict where fires will go. Embers can fly who knows how many miles in an ash plume and start fires far away. They spread faster than anyone who's never been in one can comprehend.😶😔

I pray about the entire climate situation daily. I pray for the people who live where whatever major weather event is ongoing. I pray for the service people who are fighting it. I pray and pray and pray.

I just hope these extremes events aren't the new normal. 😕 If so, I'd better pray REALLY hard for our children and grandchildren. They've some tough living to do.

Thank you Silver! She is a miniature schnauzer. And thank you for your prayers for the west! It's crazy how it can be so parched out here with all the fires while there are people being swept away in flood waters in Tennessee, so heart breaking.. Lots of prayers needed! ❤

How is everyone going with the weather ? Im hoping it has cooled down & fires have been contained ?

It is finally starting to dry out here , the spring grass is growing and the horses are shedding like crazy :) We are getting temps in the high teens , lots of foggy mornings over the last week.

Minimor, hope you were able to source more hay :)

We are still having heat and had a warning last week that there would be a storm passing through with dry strike lightning but it actually came with rain! It was so loud and intense that it kept my new puppy up all night, but I took her outside to do her business and was never so happy to stand in the rain!!! And that one event did help with the fires. 😊

We are still having heat and had a warning last week that there would be a storm passing through with dry strike lightning but it actually came with rain! It was so loud and intense that it kept my new puppy up all night, but I took her outside to do her business and was never so happy to stand in the rain!!! And that one event did help with the fires. 😊
That is super Willow Flats , I know how long you have been waiting for rain :)

We had a really nice cool day but the temps are going up again. All the stores are full of Fall merchandise but we are still in summer mode.
I was looking at the weather stats for our area and our growing season is 11 months, aprox 329 days long!

Yes! Some of the stores around here already have Christmas stuff out and they started putting that out last month😝 Ridiculous!

95 is the high here for today, where did the fall weather go?

HersheyMint, I like those kinds of temperatures! I could care less about daytime highs as long as the night temps are 65° F and below.😁

Ryan, since you're coming into Spring (officially starts on Tuesday, yes?) do you have any mares in foal this year? Garden plans roughed out yet?

Here in NC we're still having most days with humidity 80% or better. Atlantic storms seem to push it all up to us. On the "I love Autumn 🍂 " side of things, we have been blessed with some alternating weeks of cool night temps.

I'll try to update the gardening thread with pictures of my very modest decorative squash harvest.🤗

Willow flats we are experiencing the complete opposite. It started to warm up for a few days, now its freezing and raining again :(

Julie, My veggie Gardens are currently under construction ( preparing them for planting in the next month or so) :)

It is raining! Really coming down at the moment. We have been in such a terrible drought so this is most welcome. We have more forecasted for this week too! We have recently been notified that they are putting a plan into place to start charging us to use our well water. Really hoping things will turn around for us. We don't normally get any significant rain in October so I'm hoping it's a good sign!

It is raining! Really coming down at the moment. We have been in such a terrible drought so this is most welcome. We have more forecasted for this week too! We have recently been notified that they are putting a plan into place to start charging us to use our well water. Really hoping things will turn around for us. We don't normally get any significant rain in October so I'm hoping it's a good sign!
So how is that even possible? Is your well not on your property? Do you not have rights to water in your deed? I'm asking because I've got "see if I can add a well" on the to-do list for my tiny property.

Between outages during hurricanes and the state of the world right now, I'd like to be assured of a consistent water supply.

Our well is on our own land in California. I'm not sure what other counties here are doing but since we have had such a terrible drought they first notified the properties all around us that they were doing a ground water study. Now they said they would be charging a fee for using our own water from our own wells. (Sighting irrigation properties.) The notice did not say whether it would be a fee per size of acreage or if they planned to install meters or what. The mailed notice had a date on it (which had passed!) for a meeting you could attend to find out more information. I e-mailed the county to get some information but no reply.

That is total BS if you ask me!! You have to pay thousands of dollars to have a water well installed on your property because the county doesn’t provide water and now you have to pay to use it… that just can’t be right… am I reading that correctly?!! Such BS!! 😡

Well we got rain! We set a record set for the all time rainiest day in the history of our county. We had 5.44 inches which beat the past record which had stood since the year 1880 and was 5.28 inches. In the last 141 years no other day even breached 4 inches. It rained more yesterday on one day than it did during the entirety of any October on record except for 1962. We are all marveling at this. My pasture and training area is flooded but that's ok. Our home, the round pen and dry lot are fine.

Latest posts

Back