How's the Weather ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Johnson

Reaction score
There was a thread a while back someone had started about extreme weather they were experiencing. It was quite a good thread as many commented on it.

As our weather seasons are completely the opposite , I thought this would be good to see how your seasons compared to the last.

We have just finished one of the coolest summers in over 40 years. It was very nice compared to the last few years and the terrible bush fires that tore through parts of Australia. It has also been very much the same for autumn here, its been very mild compared to the last few. I have a feeling its going to be a very cold wet winter here :)

How's the weather where you are ?

Some windy days, then a gorgeous day, then big build ups with threat of severe weather. East of me last night there was a terrible hail storm. 70 mph wind with stones the size of baseballs. The spring has been pretty cool so far.
Look at this hail stone that fell near San Antonio, TX last night. I wouldn't have wanted to be where it fell!!san antonio hail.jpg

We had very little rain this winter. The lakes are low and it is already warm here; in the high 80's. We have some wind or a breeze still on most days and my allergies have never been so bad.
The woman with the cattle behind me had to start flooding her fields in April this year! Usually it's "April showers bring May flowers."

We had a great winter(after 4 really cold ones), up close to freezing most days and not super cold at night. Feb. let us have it, very cold and snowy but spring started early at the beginning of March with some really warm sunny weather. The grass greened up and started growing and all the leaves opened a month early. April hasn't been so great so far, it's gotten colder and wetter with some snow, high winds and below freezing nights. I'm hoping May warms up and we get some more sun.

Our weather here in Northern lower Michigan has been pretty close to Taz's description. Local cherry and other crops may have suffered some initial damage to buds as everything bloomed earlier than usual and then froze. I have had a little blanket on Jasper, which will probably coming off later today (yay!). The nights have been pretty cold yet but we may be on the upswing? I spent part of a winter in Australia and I was cold (even though I come from a colder climate), but the couple I stayed with only had a couple of space heaters, which really didn't cut it. I felt very damp. They made fun of me and asked why I was cold. Well, for one, we heat our homes a lot more I think. (I was in Melbourne).

Central Oregon was actually slightly milder last winter. We only had a couple weeks of single digit temps F. Everyone kept expecting a second cold spell. Spring so far has been mild. I pay attention to the birds and they all started migrating in a few weeks early.

I somehow put I am from Texas even though I am from NC 🤷🏼‍♀️. We got out of the wettest winter we’ve had in a long time. Unless you have an indoor arena the horses wasn’t able to be worked so the thoroughbreds being throughbreds started loosing their brains from being out of work. I don’t think I have ever seen so much rain. Now it is being normal NC and last week it was in the 40 degree days and this week it is in the 80 degree days. NC weather changes about like a mares mood 😆.

Our weather here in Northern lower Michigan has been pretty close to Taz's description. Local cherry and other crops may have suffered some initial damage to buds as everything bloomed earlier than usual and then froze. I have had a little blanket on Jasper, which will probably coming off later today (yay!). The nights have been pretty cold yet but we may be on the upswing? I spent part of a winter in Australia and I was cold (even though I come from a colder climate), but the couple I stayed with only had a couple of space heaters, which really didn't cut it. I felt very damp. They made fun of me and asked why I was cold. Well, for one, we heat our homes a lot more I think. (I was in Melbourne).

Where bouts in Melbourne were you Pitter Patter ? I live south of Melb and agree with you , its very cold in winter.

Its been raining for the last few days here and a top of 13 degrees Celsius. We have some sunshine for the next few days then its predicted to rain for the next week :(

It's been a little cooler this Spring and not much sun. Lots of overcast days. Winter had a little less snow than usual and again, not much sun. It seems like I'm living endless grey days. New England usually has more variety.

Similar to Cayuse many gray days in MN this year but recent weeks more blue skies and sunny, albeit breezy but mild - around 50 degrees on average during the day.

So glad to be above freezing and no snow! 😊

We have had a very cool spring. It hit 90 one day, but then dropped down into the 50's. I thought we were finished with heavy coats! I think the jet stream is still bringing cold air down for a few more days. The roses and peonies love it. Lettuce is happy.

It will be interesting to see how your spring and summer fairs. I have a feeling we are about to get the extreme cold winter you had this year !

Here in MB it's been a cool spring, with lots of wind. Unfortunately it is also very dry--probably the driest spring any of us have seen. We had almost no snow all winter ter, and we were dry last fall going into winter. We have extreme fire risk -- fire bans in most municipalities, no back country travel. This will be our 4th year of drought, which means 4th year of high hay prices. We will be lucky if there is any hay at all this summer because a cold, dry spring does not make the grass grow.

Here in MB it's been a cool spring, with lots of wind. Unfortunately it is also very dry--probably the driest spring any of us have seen. We had almost no snow all winter ter, and we were dry last fall going into winter. We have extreme fire risk -- fire bans in most municipalities, no back country travel. This will be our 4th year of drought, which means 4th year of high hay prices. We will be lucky if there is any hay at all this summer because a cold, dry spring does not make the grass grow.
Oh, wow, that is too bad. We have been in that situation before. Hard to endure. I really dread seeing that "red flag warning" on our weather news. We are having enough rain for the crops and pasture, but not enough to fill ponds. One of ours is dry. The other is very low.

We are in a bad drought too, turned warm quickly with lots of wind.. Everything is dry and brown. My neighbor had to flood her fields sooner and also more frequently for her cattle. I didn't have to worry about the green grass for turn out very long this spring! That's the only upside.

We've had 5 bad hay years in a row here. Either too wet or no rain. It looked like it might be a good spring but then got cold and wet and everything stopped growing. It's warmed up and gotten sunny now but too dry, the hay isn't growing and no ones even got anything planted yet.

We've had 5 bad hay years in a row here. Either too wet or no rain. It looked like it might be a good spring but then got cold and wet and everything stopped growing. It's warmed up and gotten sunny now but too dry, the hay isn't growing and no ones even got anything planted yet.

Yeah, same in my area.
Although it looks like this year is a bit better than last year. Last year was a disaster for farmers here. SO dry, long weeks with no rain and July temperatures in May ! And people were fighting for the hay because farmers produced only 1/3 than what they can usually produce in a summer. Prices just zoomed out of control. :(

We have had some terrible weather over the last fortnight. We had storms come thru, that Ive never witnessed anything like before. I was lucky where I am but many people are still without power and this was nearly two weeks ago. Its done nothing but rain over the last few days and we are predicted to get alot more over the coming days.

How is everyone coping with getting hay ?

Latest posts

Back