How's the Weather ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw Department of Transportation sand trucks today, ready for winter storms. Drained my hoses, loaded the chicken house with straw, and we got firewood onto the porch. Even remembered to bring the snow shovel from the barn. Not sure if snow is expected, but bitter cold is.
Brushed Billy tonight and dang it he had five or six ticks. Two I was able to extinguish, but the others had just done their dirty work and were unfound. I try to let him out into the larger pasture to graze and socialize, but it isn't working. Back to the small pasture for him. They make a large wound on him, the dirty rotten boogers.
It's also interesting to work on his trust. I let down the wire "gate" of the electric fence so we can pass through. No way is he stepping over that invisible line. I persevere, and finally he lets me lead him, arm around his neck, through that perilous opening.

We had 16" of snow then a warmup, rain, and refreeze. I thought I had broken up the icy spots and slush in the paddocks well enough and our big horses were fine, but little Marty didn't weigh enough to break through the crust on the snow. I looked out the window after my husband let them out and he was stranded on an icy spot, poor baby! Luckily we have a small pen that still had fluffier snow so he spent the day there after I helped him off the ice.

Brave Billy! Your arm around his neck reassures him, or he’s thinking “you first”!;)

Unbelievable that you still have ticks! They are awful. That thought will help keep me warm in a short while when I go out into our Arctic air! 😂

-42 this morning. F or C, that's pretty much the same. The donkey is blanketed. Everyone has shelter and is free fed hay and bedded in straw right now. We have no barn to bring them in. Busses are cancelled. Thankfully the pipes and drains in my house (a great big mobile) are all doing well! It's going to be like this through the weekend and then will get better. Thankfully my furnace is still working away, almost constantly. Everything is just hunkered down for the duration.

-42 this morning. F or C, that's pretty much the same. The donkey is blanketed. Everyone has shelter and is free fed hay and bedded in straw right now. We have no barn to bring them in. Busses are cancelled. Thankfully the pipes and drains in my house (a great big mobile) are all doing well! It's going to be like this through the weekend and then will get better. Thankfully my furnace is still working away, almost constantly. Everything is just hunkered down for the duration.
I just got cold shivers reading this 🥶

Holy crap! -42!!!! And I am complaning about 35 degrees 🤣🤣

It will warm up to 62 today and the low temperatures night is 16! Then we don’t get above freezing for the next 3 days, boooooo!

50% chance of snow Sunday night 🤞🏼 would like to get out my sled once this season, this might be my only chance.

At daylight this morning it was 11 degrees f. ThE high today is su to be 15, with a low tonight of 9. It’s not supposed to get above freezing for 4 days. 1 day above freezing then below freezing again. I guess though it is January after all.

It looks like most of us have very cold temps for our areas.
This weekend has been below zero and that will continue for awhile. This morning we are -12 and feels like -30, yes indeed it does! 🥶 😂

Just came in from filling bird feeders and feeding horses. Everyone is chipper, I’m trying for chipper. 😁 I will say that is much easier sitting here with toast and a cup of hot coffee! 😂

Well, we managed through that extreme cold this weekend. I think a nighttime low got pretty close to -50. Phillippe got blanketed, the horses were fed double and everyone got through ok! This morning it was only -37, bloody balmy compared!

I do understand that as our weather systems are often similar, but I am so happy to declare you the winner in extreme temperatures! 😂

Those temps are not really funny and our temperature this morning at -12 is downright warm.

Take care and I hope your weather moderates!

@MaryFlora that's not a win to celebrate but I'm so glad it's over. This morning it was only -15 C and my frozen water line thawed in the night sometime - yes I have heat tape on it. Just part of what makes Canadians hardy, I suppose. Today we have light snowfall. It's lovely to see. Winter seems back on its regularly scheduled programming now.

Still "wood stove" weather here. We had one pretty day and, of course, I had appointments and errands that day! Did get in a quick walk with Billy before dusky.
Not a good selfie, but here are Billy and me this morning. I was hoping to have a frosty drive this afternoon, but now predictions are sleet. He is feeling pretty frisky in this cold weather so it probably would have been an interesting drive!

Attachments

• billy selfie.jpg
    billy selfie.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 0
It's been minus single digits C here the last two days. That's nice because somehow I got a frozen drain pipe from my main bathroom. Fortunately my ensuite drain is well insulated and heat taped! Hopefully it continues to warm enough that the frozen spot resolves quickly!

Latest posts

Back