How to stop colt from biting?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iabecca

Reaction score
Hi....my little colt, who is 3 weeks old, wants to keep biting my clothes or shoes....what is the best way to teach him not to bite? He doesn't have any teeth yet but I want to stop his biting before he gets his teeth!! I have to really watch him around my Grandkids. He is a sweetheart tho....
default_wub.png

Thanks for any advice you have to share!

Becky

What ever method you use, remember the Five Second Rule.......after 5 seconds, he won't understand the reaction to his biting.

My favorite reaction is to annoy them with kisses on the nose. Or, I take my hand and rub rub rub their nose.

When they get older I get more aggressive with yelling, "QUIT!" and either stomp my foot or giving a hand smack. One thing we NEVER do is smack the face. The face is OFF LIMITS.

My 3 week old colt is doing the same but I personally don't worry about it, they are like kids when they cut teeth, everything goes in there mouth, lol he will grow out of it and if not I will give a quick sharp NO but not until he is at least a few months old.

Horses are a species which are born with fully developed brains... So they aren't really "babies" like the human species is familiar with, so we tend to let them get away with misbehavior.

It is NOT acceptable to bite a human, EVER, and this needs to be made clear to the little guy. Be immediate and firm. He will not fear you for it. Right now he's learning his social graces and testing his boundaries, so you need to be consistent and clear on your expectations.

Andrea

I so agree with disny horse. This is not allowed at any time, give a yell, whatever you decide, either NO or STop, and make yourself really big and scary. This behavior will escalate if not corrected.

I have been flicking the end of his nose with my finger and saying No when he bites....not real hard but hard enough that I get his attention. I do agree that this behavior needs to be stopped before it gets out of hand. This is my first foal so I just wanted to see what you experienced horse owners had to say......................Thank You!!!!
default_thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back