How to make

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
Who knows how to make hunter braids or whatever you callem.

Obviously its for a hunter class, and I need to practice it before next weekend.

Is it better to use thread/yarn or rubber bands?

Thanks for any help!

Most shows I went to this year did a running french braid down the neck, which is pretty simple and easy to take out if your doing other classes as well.

I've seen the hunter braids done two different ways. One way the braids make little balls and the other way they have little buttons on top of the braid(that's how I did my QH for Hunter under saddle)

Here's a picture guide to the way to make the little balls:

http://www.multiline.com.au/~clapton/plaiting.html

I can't find a site that shows how to do the little buttons or top knots but this is what they look like:

http://topknothorsebraids.blogspot.com/200...aid-horses.html

Hope this helps. If you do the hunter braids I find it easier to use yarn or quilting thread than rubber bands on the minis because their manes are so coarse.

I personally have never seen anyone do the little balls at a mini show. (it's really time consuming and you would have to take them for your other classes(ex: halter and driving)) I always do a nice tight french braid down the mane and a french braid in the tail.

For the tail:

Using the hairs underneath the tailhead, french braid about 6-10 inches down the tail, or whatever looks best and then simply braid the excess hair down and tuck the end up underneath the top braided section leaving about 4 inches of simple braid exposed. To keep it tucked up, I put 2 rubber binders in, 1 at the very end of the french braid, and the other about 1 inch from the "fold" of the simple braid.

Here is a pic I pulled off the net of the tail:

50243464.JPG

button or hunter braids i don't see as being an option really for mini's unless your willing to shorten and pull your horses mane. I was a professional braider several years ago and the mane has to be aroudn 4" long and thinner than many mini's have. Mini's typically show with long manes so unless you were willing to shorten they will not come out looking very nice. A running braid or macreme would be the two best options for a long maned horse.

Back