How old is your oldest appliance?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weebiscuit

Reaction score
Mine is a wall oven that is 33 years old. It has never needed a repair, and looks really great! Of course, I'm not really a person who spends a lot of time cooking, so maybe that's help preserve it! Haha! It's still got the old dials on it, and to set the timer I have to turn a dial, which only goes up to 60 minutes, and then a nasty-sounding buzzer goes off.

Well, I've decided I am going to replace it. We have been getting a lot of construction done here (new attached garage... we never had a garage before), completely gutted and remodeled family room, and newly tiled master bathroom with walk-in tiled shower). I figured I might as well get it replaced, because once I do I think I can live out my approaching elderly years and not worry about anything breaking down till after I'm dead.

Any suggestions? I am SO out of touch with new ovens and what they should do and all of that. The only thing I know for sure is that I need a 28" wall oven which is self cleaning. Beyond that, I wouldn't even know what they offer these days or what would make life easier, or what is absolutely "necessary" in a new oven. Any suggestions?

Well, ths wasn't really an "appliance"...but since I move too often to have any appliances (other than a microwave) that I keep moving with me I will use this as my example. lol

I bought a 19" TV with my own money (first real purchase I ever made as a "working girl" (not THAT kind...lol) in 1981...turn dials for changing channels and no remote. I had that TV until 2010 and we were getting ready to move across country...when I took it to Good will. It was still working just fine. Funny thing is, even when I had newer TVs (for different rooms) with remotes, half the time I would get up and change the channel because it was just habit to do it....lol! Now, of course I don't...
default_wink.png

BTW, to answer your other question...I have no idea what to "look for" in an oven...lmao
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours would be right up there with yours, Sandy......My in-laws gave us an upright freezer in 1979 as a housewarming gift for our first house. It's humming away in our garage as I type.
default_smile.png

We have had several venerable appliances/electronics...

Our Goldstar television was new in 1984...I remind Keith that I've had it longer than I've had him!

Our microwave was a wedding present in 1989 -- still works perfectly.

My Braun coffeemaker finally went to that great filter in the sky after 21 years of VERY heavy use.

Oh, yes...even though we haven't had it for all of its life, we have a gorgeous 50s vintage oven/range -- the big, rounded, classic look, with bakelite trim. It's older than I am!

My refrigerator is 30 and has never missed a beat. Just a little old Kelvinator. My first fridge, very modest and certainly nothing fancy.

When I moved I considered not bringing it with me because I thought the move would finish it off. The removalists said ''take it....they don't make them like that any more''.

Last year the inside light blew.......thought that might be the beginning of the end.......but no.

I won't replace it until it dies.

Well I've replaced almost every thing, with the exception of my chest freezer, and like your oven is 33 years old and still going strong. I hoped I havn't jinkzed myself by typing this.

Well, ths wasn't really an "appliance"...but since I move too often to have any appliances (other than a microwave) that I keep moving with me I will use this as my example. lol

I bought a 19" TV with my own money (first real purchase I ever made as a "working girl" (not THAT kind...lol) in 1981...turn dials for changing channels and no remote.
Well, a TV is sort of like an appliance! That's a long time for a tv to still be working! And I so remember those days before remote controls! We'd always argue over who had to get up and change the channels! I'm personally of the opinion that the invention of remotes was a GOOD thing!

*until you lose them, of course, and have to suddenly figure out how to manually change channels and turn the tv on and off*

Ours would be right up there with yours, Sandy......My in-laws gave us an upright freezer in 1979 as a housewarming gift for our first house. It's humming away in our garage as I type.
default_smile.png
WOW! That is reallly impressive! My oven is just as old, but it's not constantly running! Heck, as much as I cook it gets turned on maybe once every two weeks, but you freezer has been running non-stop since 1979? Just incredible!

BTW... you *do* know that these days they have much more energy efficient models out, don't you? ROFL!!!

I'm not sure how old it is, but my husband had a old brown fridge when we got married 9 years ago (his mom had got it second hand like 8 years before that), we still have it and it keeps beer and vet meds great out in the mudroom. Its at least a mid 80s model if not older.

Latest posts

Back