I need to unload... stressed to the max!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weebiscuit

Reaction score
I don't unload my personal problems on the internet, but at this point, I guess I just need a few shoulders to cry on. Things are piling up and maybe it will just be a little cathartic to unload.

First... my husband's brother, Mike, is 64 years old, and in January he was diagnosed with an extremely rare (3,000 people a year) blood cancer called amyloidosis, which is always fatal. In February he went to Mayo in Rochester, MN, for treatment. Mayo told him that no one has ever survived this disease, but they wanted to try, none-the-less. He was in Mayo for a month. First, they started harvesting his red blood cells. Then they harvested the stem cells. After that, they gave him massive doses of chemo, on a daily basis, which killed off every blood cell in his body, and then began feeding his enriched stem cells back into him.

During that month, my husband had to go three hours away to where Mike lived, and care for his 95 year old father. Mike and his wife have a small house built right onto their home, in which their father lives. He has a lot of dementia, but is very laid back and sweet. We hire daily help to come in for Grandpa, but someone needs to be there during the night, so my husband went. BIL came home from Mayo and every three months he goes back for three days. He keeps hoping he will be the ONE person to beat this, and he is part of a study and experiment with this stem cell thing to treat it. However, he's not been feeling well lately. He left for Mayo yesterday so my husband will be gone this week.

Husband's father is sort of getting to the point that when Mike is home his dad is becoming too much for him. Mike doesn't have the strength to get up all night and check on his dad. So, we are all facing the possibility of putting this dear, sweet man into a nursing home. Grandma died a year ago.

Now.. my father. He lives in Florida, and is as nasty as a viper. My brother lives there and takes care of what needs to be done. Dad went into Assisted Living a year ago. My mom died two years ago. Dad broke a hip in early July, went into surgery and rehab, and returned to Asst. Living on Saturday, only to fall again, and then have the staff at the Asst. Living center tell my brother that he is belligerent, uncooperative, strikes out at staff, and needs to go to a nursing home. He also has periods of dementia that leave him out of touch with reality, but then becomes cognizant and knows everything. So, brother is trying to find nursing care for him. We also need to find a home for his Shih'tzu.

On top of this we had construction start here. We built this house 32 years ago and never had a garage... because during construction my husband's job was cut to part time and I had just gotten out of college and didn't have a job. Once we were both working we were raising kids and just now got around to having a two-car attached garage built. We are on a hillside, so it was a major undertaking. The excavation was unbelievable! Because of the garage roof, we also had to have an upstairs patio door removed. It was in my dining room. I didn't want to lose all that light, so we had a window cut in a bit farther down the wall. A BIG mess!

But I also wanted the entire family room gutted, with new walls, all new wood trim, and new carpeting. So, we were basically living without the family room for the last three weeks. Everything upstairs is shoved into the middle of the living room while they are working on the wall and new window. Everything downstairs had to be moved out of the family room and into the two bedrooms so the family room could be redone and carpeted. this is a huge room... about 28' by 30', so it was quite a project. Carpeting went into the family room today, so tonight my daughter-in-law and I had to move all the furniture back into the carpeted area, and then remove three beds and all the furniture, armoire, gun cabinet, and clean out the closets in the bedrooms so they can be carpeted tomorrow. I have stuff stacked in the entry way which also has to come out tomorrow so they can tile it.

Right now the garage is done except the doors aren't on it yet. And, the entry door from the garage into my mud room isn't hung. There's just a piece of styrofoam insulation propped up against that door, and it will be that way for another two days. I'm worried that a raccoon, skunk, or possum will get into the house!

Upstairs, the china cabinet, TV, and most everything else is all sitting in the middle of the room. It's an absolute wreck around here. I'm trying to deal with contractors building the garage and siding the house, plus the carpeting people, plus the electrician who is doing some re-wiring and all the garage wiring, and between the illiness of BIL, problems with FIL, and with my own father, and doing all the barn chores in between, and having my husband gone, I'm totally stressed out!

Then on top of all that, my car broke down on Sunday. We were going to buy a new one this fall, anyway, as it's 14 years old, but with all the construction expense we decided to wait till next year to save money, but who knows how much it's going to cost to fix it? It began overheating to the max and lost engine power and I had it towed yesterday morning.

And then I just found out tonight that my beloved daughter-in-law, (they live just across our hay field), possibly has yet another tumor. She's only 37 years old, and this time the tumor is either on her ovaries or uterus. Not sure yet. Five years ago she had a brain tumor, sitting right about her pituitary gland. The surgeon went in above her front, upper teeth, and removed it and she had a long recovery but did recover! Eight years ago she had an 8" long tumor removed from her lower intestine. And now this.

And I'm also dealing with my most favorite of my three dogs, who came down with yet another yeast infection last week. He's on an internal medication, and it makes him not want to eat. If we cut the dose, his itching gets to the point where he;s scratching himself raw. I hear him scratching all night long. I have him on Benadryl but it doesn't seem to help. I also keep rubbing Gold Bond anti-itch lotion on his chest where he's scratching his hair off. I absolutely have to get him into the vet, but can't possibly do it till Thursday.

I went to the doctor last week because my knee keeps going out and I wake up at night with a lot of pain in it, and was told I need a replacement. there's NO WAY I'm going to get that knee replaced at this point. I want to wait at least another five years.

Well anyway, sorry for the long post. Right now I'm going to make myself a big lime margarita and find the biggest oinkin' piece of dark chocolate I have and curl up on the bed with a few dogs, a crossword puzzle, and my snub-nose .38 revolver and hope tomorrow looks a bit brighter.

Hang in there.This too will pass and you will be all right.You have a ton on you right now, but it will get better little by little.Just wanted to say that I went to your web site and WOW WOW WOW!!!What incredible photos and a beautiful place to live.Don't know where you are located but those views are amazing.Hang in there and pray hard.Every day there will be progress even if just a little.I will be praying for you from here.

Thank you Bevann! We live in southwest Wisconsin. It's the only area of the state that wasn't flattened by the glaciers when then began melting and moving southward, so it's extremely hilly here. It is a beautiful area to live in!

You have a lot on your plate right now and my best advice is to take it hour by hour and then day by day. It's very overwhelming when you start to try and wrap your head around so many issues/problems. Also, when your house is under construction and everything is not where it should be, the mass chaos is very frustrating to live with day to day which in turn makes all of your stresses magnified. You sure are going through a lot right now and my heart goes out to you.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You will get a LOT of sympathy from me. I'm about to explode here myself.

I totally understand your life. I took care of my mom and my aunt who were both ill and had alzheimers in my home with my babies all at the same time. So I had actually 4 babies all at once. All I can say about that was that was more than hard on me physically and mentally. Its very difficult but just remember at all times your dad is not responsible for his acting out. He's probably on a lot of meds also that is making things even worse for him. He doesn't like his situation any more than anyone else. I will tell you that if you muddle through one day at a time and do your best, you will have no regrets later one because you knew you did the right thing.

I'm presently researching nursing homes myself and getting quite an education aon that. I have found that even though the State regulates them to a point, many are privately owned and they can basically do and charge whatever they want to.

You have a lot of bad illness in your family right now and you can help them by being as supportive as possible. Be the rock they can lean on and keep in close touch with them and just give love.

Construction is a pain and a messy one at that. We're remodeling too. Just keep telling yourself that someday it will all be done and you will love the new improvments. Until then, feel free to go in the yard and SCREAM about once a day and cry when you need to. Meanwhile its really good to talk to your friends and keep them close. Sounds impossible right now, but things will all find a way of working themselves out eventually. Really big hugs. (((((( ))))))

I know how the house stuff goes. We had to replace our entire outter basement wall. We have family helping us every other weekend so its a long process but almost done. We also had to replace a window and two patio doors, and there was a few weeks we only had a tarp for a door and basement wall. No critters but a few frogs, and a stray cat came in. We dont have the money for contractors so have been having family help, which hasnt been very reliable. Plus we me fat and barely able to wobble these days, and my partner with a hernia its been a task. we still have all the siding to get back on the house and one door to replace. Next year we have to replace another outside wall, all because the idiot that built the place didnt attach the deck right.

Winter seems to be fast approaching which worries me with the amount of work left to do.

Hang in there, you will enjoy it when its all said and done. OUr place looks like a dump, as will all this house stuff all the outside work that needed to be done this summer didnt happen, and my fall clean up hasnt even started yet. Which stresses me more then the house as I hate the place looking like it does.

It sounds like life to me! This too will pass, I've been in your shoes, trying to juggle old folks and little kids, things breaking down, no money, it's just life, hang in there, times will surly get better, if you can find the strength to survive. A lot of us have been in your shoes, and I've learned from those experiences that it will improve. Good luck to you and if you need to vent, go for it, we will understand and support you.

Well, today I did break down and cry. Last night my daughter-in-law and I removed everything from the two guest bedrooms so they could come back and finished carpeting today and then tile the new entryway. My husband was gone taking care of his dad, so my 19 year old grandson and his girlfriend said they'd come over this afternoon and help clean everything up and put the bedroom furniture back so that when my husband came home tonight we'd finally be able to relax in the newly remodeled family room. I was supposed to call the carpet man last night if we were able to remove the furniture from the bedrooms so they could carpet today, and stupid me... I forgot to call him.

When 11 Am rolled around and he still wasn't here I called him and he said, "You didn't call me last night, so I figured you didn't get the furniture out and I sent the guys to another job. We'll have to come Thursday afternoon, but it will be late in the afternoon.

So there I was, staring at everything crammed in the family room, and the electrician was supposed to come today to put all the new ceiling lights in and there was no way he'd have room to do it so I had to cancel him. There were carpenters in the upstairs, putting sheetrock on the wall that the patio door was removed from. There were men working outside doing the siding. I got on my four wheeler and took the dogs into the woods and just bawled. Just so angry with myself for not calling the carpet man to say it was OK for today!

Oh well, most of the construction is almost over. Now I'm waiting for the bills to start rolling in, and worried sick about that, too, LOL! But I keep telling myself that once this is all done, the only thing left to do is the master bathroom, where I want a tiled shower and walls, and then everything in the house will have been completely redone within the last five years. Plus new vinyl siding, and I won't have to spend another cent on it as long as I live!

Still waiting to hear about my car, though. Have no idea what's wrong with it or how much that will cost us. Then, my husband was on his way home from the southern part of the state today and the air conditioner quit working on his truck! It's just always something!

Bless your heart. It always seems that everyting happens at once, but just remember "if God brings you to it, God will bring you through it".

Sorry this is happening to you. I have had the worst 2 months of my life myself. A tornado devastated the town I live in, my mom passed away suddenly and horribly then my husband had brain surgery 3 weeks after that. It was and still is at points so hard. I spent my summer totally depressed and lost and really just going through the motions to get things done.

I will say to write everything down even if it's buying sugar. It's very easy to forget anything and frustrating as well. It may sound so simple and whatever right now as I did to. But things could always be worse. Cry if you need to stomp your feet if you need to and if your having a bad day just accept it and I guarantee you day will get better. I keep going back to the fact that during all this I was blessed with a healthy beautiful filly that takes away all the hurt and stress.

Keep you chin up things will get better. Sending hugs your way.

Back