How much rice bran to feed mini mae who is pregnant and due within 2 weeks that is losing weight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joann

Reaction score
How much rice bran is feed to mini mare who looks like losing weight and is due to foal in 2 weeks?

She looks terrible!! been giving corn oil with grain 2 x a day and just started mareplus last week. I need advice!! Planning to switch to a senior feed once foal is here.

What type of hay are your feeding? How old is she? Has she had her teeth done? Has she been wormed? Does she have any sort of infection or injury? All of these can impact the "bloom" on a horse.

Hi Joann Can you tell me what it is that you are feeding her now, and how much you are feeding her each time please? Does she have access to grass and hay? If hay how much? What size is she? weight estimate?

If you use Rice Bran make sure it says "fortified"...it needs to be stabilized too but it's most important that it's fortified.

Are you asking about dry or oil?

I'd say a average size adult A size Miniature Horse would get 1/4 lb a day of dry rice bran added to their food.. and not all at once either, add in in several meals.

If it's rice bran oil, for weight gain for a average size adult A size Miniature Horse, you'll give about 1 oz.

P.S. I'm curious...if you don't mind me asking, why are you waiting until the foal is born to switch to the senior feed?

Last edited by a moderator:
To keep it simple, I would probably just start adding senior feed now, add it on top of her current feed.

I feed my lactating mares senior, I just add it to their regular maintenance ration; if any are losing weight before foaling, I add it sooner, otherwise I just top up their regular diet with senior feed. I don't even switch, just add it on top of their regular diet.

Most of my mares get about 1/2# of their regular ration daily, to that I've added 1 cup of senior to their evening meal (might have to up that a little bit, but the grazing seems to be doing the most for the lactating mares). They all share hard feed in the morning, where they are getting a mix of alfalfa pellets, timothy pellets and a complete pellet; they'll share this nicely (the senior is molasses coated, and not all need it, so I only use it in their evening meal where they are in separate stalls for dinner).

no infection or injuy. she has 2 cups 2x a day of blue seal mane menu sweet. she gets mare plus 2x a day and 1/8 cup corn oil 2 x a day . she has hay about 3 flakes giving a day. She is 17 years old . 31 inches tall. around 250 ilbs. we just got her in August and looked fine. but had been on pasture at the previous owners. I called previous owners and they had not done her teeth in 3 years. but no one will come out until after foal born. I was waiting to switch to senior cuz i worried about adding so many new things to her diet like oil mareplus and now rice bran. we wormed her a month ago.

Rice bran is dry and what does 1/4 lb equal in cups 4 oz? thanks for all the help.

What do u reommend for a senior? triple crown,equne senior by purina?

Since, you already feed a Blue Seal feed, I'd be inclined to feed the Blue Seal senior; however, my top choice is Triple Crown brand.

I try to keep it simple, so if my regular feed doesn't do it, I add senior for normal horses, if it's a sensitive horse I might just add hay pellets (if it's a horse that I might worry about too much sugar/starch; another reason to pick Triple Crown, their senior has the lowest sugar/starch level on the market in senior).

Myhusband just went to get Triple crown since it is available at same place get our blue seal feed. Also since we need to dip our foals navel I had him pu betadine. I used to use iodine but cant seem to buy it here any more. Will betadine be ok to use.

You can sure tell it has been awhile since we had a foal. Last time was in 2011!! have been searching this forum for info to refresh my memory!!!

1/4 cup would be about 1 1/2 oz. You are wise to be leery of completely changing her diet. I'll second what Chanda said about adding the new to the old, that's the way to do it. Doing it that way if you want to completely switch her feed you just increase and decrease until you get her to 100% of the new feed. Betadine is fine.

I'm thinking at her weight she would need to be fed about 2 pounds a day plus free choice hay but just start out with what the bag recommends.

Are you noticing a problem that would indicate she needs her teeth done?..like quidding. noticing hay and/or feed in her water bucket, bad breath, dropping a lot of feed while eating?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the advice. What a difference in just 2 weeks. She is doing and looking much better. She is getting triple crowm senior just alittle on topf regualar grain, mare plus, rice bran and corn oil. And once has her foal which I hope is soon, will have teeth floated. Thanks

Very well could be. Since she is getting close to her due date have you noticed any changes in her?

Latest posts

Back