how many dogs do you have

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runamuk

Reaction score
After Stephs post (which the numbers didn't shock me
biggrin.gif
but I do understand getting overwhelmed) and all the new puppy acquisitions lately I am curious how many dogs people have........

Technically we are supposed to stop at 5 without a kennel license unless they are LGD or working cattle/sheep dogs.......

currently we have 4

12 year old borzoi (rescue) nona

12 year old chow chow (retirement home) tug

4-5 year old german sheperd (saved from death row) max

4-5 year old standard poodle (don't know what I was thinking
rolleyes.gif
but he likes hunting) gunn

and fingers crossed we will be getting a chow chow puppy around xmas (her name will be Shiva)

We have a total of three. Neutered Male Springer Spanial Excellent pheasant dog. Spayed Beagle, Crackerjack rabbit hound and my wife has a tiny little thing thats part Yorkie and part Gerbil.

Presently I have 2 new puppies but I the most I have ever in the past at one time was 3. I think the number of dogs a person should have would depend on how many they can care for. Some people have no problem working with many dogs and can afford the medical bills and have the room for them. I don't think I could have more than 2 at a time because of my health now it's hard to take care of them. I think if you are on a limited budget you shouldn't have more than 2-3 because it's not really fair to the animal and what if you had a major Vet emergency- would you be able to provide in a responsible way for the animals? Even the smallest dog needs to be worked with and taught discipline so how much time you have is another big consideration.

We currently own three.....all are either mid to large size. And that is plenty for US. That just seems to be the number we constantly have...... and it works for us. Other people may be fine with spreading their love and attention out over more.

It's sort of like the horses. We have 80+ (which is too many to give individual attention to on a daily basis.) But we are cutting down. I would love to have just 25 horses and THAT is too many for some folks too! So who am I to judge????

MA

Well i to think it depends on your situation the type of dogs as well as there personalities. I am lucky enough to work from home so I can spend time with my dogs in fact other then when I am at shows they are around me all day long so it works for us.
smile.gif

We have three:

Purebred Cocker Spaniel ( pretty close to a rescue ), he's about eight, he's our house dog - "Sammie."

Beagle, terrier, poodle mix, he's about eight and is an outside dog - "Salem."

Lab, shepard and? He is about five and is an outside dog, rooms with Salem - "Hunter."

The two outside doglets are roomys in a kennel, but are out every day. The little guy Salem runs free all day long and stays home. The big guy we let run each day, but only when we are outdoors to keep an eye on him. The house dog is tied up when we let him out - he would surlely run off and get lost!

Oh - I would love to see justaboutgeese "yorky/gerbil!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two dogs...a spayed Female Border Collie and a Neutered Male German Shorthair Pointer. Both are great dogs!
smile.gif

We have only one dog, a female sheltie thing (she is too large it seems). She is my first dog (about 10 years old) and a loyal guardian and herding dog
wub.gif

We just hit critical mass tonite.

We have 8 dogs, 5 Pembroke Welsh Corgis, one cock-a-chow, one alien dog from outer space, and outside one Anatolian.

Tonite a friend's guide dog arrived to stay hopefully for very short while. The friend is in intensive care on a ventilator, had a colonoscopy gone bad, they perf'd his bowel, had surgery, then crashed saturday. Poor Malone is so stressed out. He is used to being the only dog, very quiet life, just his extremely inactive person and himself. What a shock for him!

Here is hoping his person gets out of the hospital fast!
unsure.gif

I only have one right now, a purebred, 8 year-old Sheltie, Malcolm. I would love to have one more but it wouldn't work out right now.

We have 2 dogs. Tippy is a 10 year old Sheltie/Skipperkee mix and Zoe is going to be 3 in November and she's a Husky/Malmute mix with some springer spaniel thrown in there. She only weighs 35 pounds and has short hair. Tippy was a rescue and Zoe we got from some friends who had a litter. We got her 3 months after my son was born and in the middle of winter. It was interesting.

Christy

tiny little thing thats part Yorkie and part Gerbil
OK, now I have to wipe the spray of soda off my computer!!!! Too funny!!!!!!

I have to agree with Lisa. I think how many you have depends on what you can afford to take care of. If you can't feed them or provide proper vet care, you have too many.

We only have 2;

13 yr old GSP - Citori

11 yr old Black bluetick Coonhound - Seneca

We have been given a Rottweiler pup and a JRT but the hounddog took offense to them and we had to find replacement homes. She is a VERY jealous dog. They both went to wonderful, loving homes.

When I was growing up, we had up to 6 dogs at once. If I could, I'd have them all
rolleyes.gif
Hubby says I can never work at a pound or for animal control.
unsure.gif
We are in the market for a JRT though for hubby (and maybe another for me)

[SIZE=14pt]Three here!
yes.gif
All neurtered girls and all rescued from the pound!
[/SIZE]

One 14, one 12, and our newest is 7 or 8!

We love them all!

Bill

Hey lisa you forgot to give numbers......names and types......come on play
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

We just hit critical mass tonite.We have 8 dogs, 5 Pembroke Welsh Corgis, one cock-a-chow, one alien dog from outer space, and outside one Anatolian.
yep sounds like critical mass...but what exactly is an alien dog from outer space....this I have got to see
biggrin.gif

my wife has a tiny little thing thats part Yorkie and part Gerbil.
too funny ....genetically impossible ...but still funny
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I find it funny that I am not really what I call a dog person (hence my love for chow chows
wink.gif
) yet I don't mind fostering a few and have always had a minimum of 3 dogs since I was about 19.........usually we have 4-5 and rarely have they been small always big breeds........

We are owned by 4 dogs now. Dylan a 7 year old GSD, Cinch a 3 year old GSD, Diva a 5 month old Doxie, and now a week old nameless puppy

Well two weeks ago we had nine...but today we are back to three...

1 extra large purebred chahuahua...think he grew out of the registry
biggrin.gif
2 years

1 long tailed purbread cockerspanial about 8, rescued female

1 accidental husker (that is a husky cocker cross
smile.gif
) 3 years old. female

Ok we have 17 right now.

6 Old English Sheepdogs--Riley, Suzie, Madison, Mackenzie, Maverick, and Winn

4 Pugs (plus a litter of three puppies) Tonka, Heidi, Ebony, and Honey Bunn

2 Great Pyrs--Ceasor and Shy-Anne

1 Shih Tzu--Baxter

2 Yorkie Poos--Shadow and Baylee

1 Maltese--Summer

1 GSD--Jynxe

We raise Pugs and Old English Sheepdogs.

I don't have a lot of money, but worked for a vet for 12 years prior to my transplant surgery. I never got paid holidays, or any benefits, but he provides all my dog and cat health care at NO CHARGE and also provides some Hills Science Diet at no charge either. It's been two years since I had to retire and he still does it for me. I just love this guy!

Two is a good number for us. I procrastinated for 4 years before we finally added the second one this past June. A 6 month, old 65 pound Cane Corso which is a Mastiff breed and a 4 year old, 80 pound Boxer that Dad says is built like a Sherman tank!!

I find that I can give loads of love and attention to both dogs and have plenty of hugs and kisses to go around for them, I'd say that would be my personal limit.

We have two dogs; my husband and I each brought a dog into our marriage.
wink.gif
He has a 5-6 year old Red Heeler working cattle dog (intact male - not my choice) and I have a 9 year old purebred, not registered Black-Tri Australian Shepard (spayed). One per person is what I like, so they can get the attention they need. My Bridgette is my shadow and I wouldn't have it any other way.

We only have three right now--

2 6/7 yr old Great Danes, Blondie(she REALLY is a blondie!) and Stoli. Blondie is a great hunter--she loves going after the ground squirrels in back. Stoli is a 'people dog'--follows you everywhere.

and one 5 yr old Eng/Jap Mastiff, Hercules. He is very, very sweet. He also won't start fights(low man on the totem pole and doesn't mind), but if he sees one he'll jump in for the fun of it.
rolleyes.gif

We used to be up to 7/8 dogs, but they all eventually died, mostly of old age...

I want to get another Dobie though--we've always had Dobies and they are my favorite dog. But we'll wait until one comes to us--thats how all our dogs came.

Latest posts

Back