Easy Homemade Dog Toy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
We recently bought about 50 small Easter stuffed animals at Walmart for our little dogs (three shih-tzus and one 3/4 shih-tzu / 1/4 toy poodle) . The toys are made for little kids, but our little dogs won't mind. We do this every year after Easter when they are on sale (like 40¢ for some of them), and dole them out periodically. This year, the ones we got do not squeak or play music and our dogs kept trying to find the music or squeak boxes.

So, I made them "ghetto / redneck squeaker toys", and they're in hog heaven! We ordered a bag of squeakers from Amazon. There are lots of sizes and amounts to choose from. We got 30 2" squeakers for > $10, including shipping. I had some cotton batting and who doesn't have old socks? I just wrapped squeakers "burrito style" and stuffed one onto a sock and tied a tight knot in the sock to keep it in place. You can add another squeaker and repeat if you wish. Our dogs like these as much as any store bought toy and the "tail" of leftover sock is good for tug of war as well.

I'm going to my parents' this morning with a big bag of Walmart Easter stuffed animals and some ghetto / redneck sock toys for their Cavachons ❤

I'm glad that I am not the only one who does this. My beagle, Bert got a rabbit for Christmas with 36 squeakers in it all stitched in like a quilt. It took him all of 30 seconds to annihilate it, so I saved them in the junk drawer. Hubby and I will tease him, we sit on opposite ends of the living room and take turns squeaking the toys driving the dog nuts. I stuff those squeakers into everything, old socks, gloves, you name it, put a squeakie in it, he'll play with it.

My parents' little dogs (Cavachons) and big dogs (bearded collies) loved the ghetto / redneck squeaker toys! We took Wesley, our 3/4 shih-tzu / 1/4 poodle with us to visit. All 9# of Wesley swears he only brought those toys and the bag of Walmart Easter stuffed toys for show & tell and never, ever to actually give away :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back