For the love of dogs.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
I couldn't post at first.. too painful but now I think I am ready to share.

Some of you might remember me telling stories about my dogs. Last year I realized that all my dogs were old. It snuck up on us. I did the math and realized that I had 6 dogs over the age of 11. wow. Where did the time go?

I treated myself to a boston puppy on mothers day last year and added dog number 7, knowing that at any time I could start losing dogs. Some folks thought I needed to have my head examined getting another dog, but somehow I knew.

Never did I imagine it would happen so soon and pretty much all at once...

I have lost 3 dogs in 4 months. Ah the pain of loss. Things happen in threes, right? sob.

Knick Knack went first. 15 years old, been a cardiac patient for 6 years... she stopped eating. It was time. She was a powderpuff Chinese crested and she weighed 6 lbs, she loved everybody.

Then Lokey began to fail. He too was 15 another Chinese crested, black and white with the most amazing hair coat. He had the same father as Knick Knack. He became a cardiac patient the same year she did. He was born one day apart from Knick Knack. He only loved me in my family of 5. It is an amazing experience being the beloved owner of a one person dog. He would do a stand for exam in the obedience ring and allow a stranger to touch him because I asked him too. When we left the ring he would roll in my coat for 5 minutes to remove the scent of the person who had touched him. He was my shadow. He earned me my one and only high in trial at the Chinese crested specialty on valentines day. I will miss him forever.

Then came Gabrielle. My beloved collie. She was 11. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor 2 years ago. She had good times and bad times but for 2 years, the good outweighed the bad, until last week... She had the best week of her last two years the week before we had to put her to sleep.

She was my go everywhere dog. She enjoyed trick or treating and was the "kid in the dog suit" every Halloween when I took my kids around the neighborhood. She went on every dog walk, every event allowing dogs, horse shows, dog shows art shows... She loved everybody on earth. She was one of the most beautiful dogs I had ever seen. She was a gift dog. I will miss her forever.

100_2080.jpg

scan (2).jpg

I got the sympathy card today in the mail for Gabrielle. made me cry all over again. Such a big hole these three have left in my heart. I am so lucky to have had them in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sad to loose members of your family Shorthorsemom. Sending you hugs
default_smile.png

I hope all those wonderful memories you have of them continue to bring a smile to your face each time you remember them,

May they rest peacefully ...

Sooooo, Here I am with 3 old dogs and one young dog... and what do I do????? I start surfing the rescue associations. Crying and looking and I felt drawn to a rescue 55 minutes away. I picked out about 15 dogs off their website to look at and made an appointment and asked my best friend to drive me there. I spent all afternoon looking at dogs and with heavy heart was disappointed that I had not yet found my heart dog. I said "I felt so compelled to come here" and I haven't found my dog yet.

I talked to the director of the rescue who had come to chat with me since I was the last person still looking at dogs.

I said " I would like to see all the dogs that are the favorites of your volunteers. I had looked at hairy Disney type small female dogs all day. He asked what I wanted and I said "any dog from small to medium and I don't care what hair type or breed. Youngish.

He had 5 people start bringing me dogs. The first was too shy, the second was too big and then out comes a hound mix. I had walked by him in the kennel and never gave him a second glance. I was not looking for a hound.

Anyway.. I was instantly drawn to this dog. With quite a few people in the exercise yard he came to me. He brought me a ball. He played ball and I said to my friend. "I think I just found my dog". I went for a hairy small female dog and selected a mixed breed male hound. It was love on sight.

A week later he came home with me. He is 6 months old housebroken and walks nice on a leash and is a great obedience potential boy and he LOVES me, best part of his description.

He is amazing and the funny thing is that he came in my house and my dogs instantly loved him. My matriarch female Tibetan spaniel Bonnie loved him on sight.

Anyway, here is hoping to heal my broken heart just a tad. My collie would have loved this guy I wish she could have met him...

My kids and husband think Riley is awesome.

wish me luck.

the adventure begins.

IMG_1654.JPG

DSCF7793-5x5.jpg_medium.jpg

Your dogs that have passed on were fortunate to have such a great mom, and this new guy is going to find out he is also.

P.S. I think it is true that we cannot help who we fall in love with.
default_wub.png
I think Riley took one look at you and started humming "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" in his little doggy mind.

Thanks Ryan...

You bet Vickie.. A few weeks ago before all this started my little boston decided my son belonged to her. She sleeps with him and she doesn't want any lap but his when he is home. Kids said... now you have a walking dog mommy, Riley will do walks with you!.

This fall is the first time I ever missed the "whisker walk" at our local feed store because I didn't have a healthy dog to walk with and also the first Halloween in 10 years I won't have Gabrielle to walk around with.

Riley is now becoming my walking dog and we are already enjoying long walks on the farm. My basset hound used to be my farm walking dog but recently I noticed he isn't up to anything more than a short walk... sigh. Took him for a walk a few weeks ago and thought I was going to have to carry him home and he had trouble making 4 steps for several days.

The dogs acted like they had met Riley before. No barking, no tude and my Tibetan spaniel greeted him at the door like she was glad he was home.

Funny how things work out. The little white dog in the photos is my last crested. My collie loved herding him and they were best friends.

Thought you would enjoy these photos too.

100_2089 (3).jpg

100_2061 (2).jpg

I'm so sorry for your losses! I know how much it hurts because to people like us, dogs are family! Two of our dogs are now elderly shih tzus, and it hurts just thinking about them not being here. We lost our blue Merle collie, Kelsey, about 18mos ago, and still miss her. My first shih tzu, Winston, 6 years ago and there's not a day that goes by when I don't miss BIM even tho I have Watson who's even closer to me than Winston (something I would have never even thought was possible). A new puppy to dote on, spoil and cry into is the best way to start healing. They give you something to feel happy about and dote on. My thoughts are with you, and there are so many good people who understand this pain. I think Riley is going to be great for you and your family
default_wub.png

I can understand that. Getting out Boston puppy this year was partly due to one of our dogs being up there in age and not wanting to have the younger one be alone should she take a turn.

Oh lucky lucky Riley! What a sad reason to begin looking for a new addition, I am so sorry you had to say good bye to 3 of your well loved dogs. I can only imagine the pain and shock of loosing 3 so close together. I hope having Riley helps ease that pain and help you remember them with a smile instead of a tear. ((((Hugs)))) to you and all your bunch who must miss them too.

I understand every bit of what you went through... It's happened to us as well...yep, we lost three all within 6 months

and they too were close in age.

I also believe that our pets will choose their people. May you have many many wonderful years with your new fur-friend.

Thank you miniv and so sorry for your losses too. My collie I lost was a gift from a friend to ease my sorrow of losing my Doberman and German shepherd 2 weeks apart 11 years ago. It is so tough with multiple losses in short periods of time.

thank you all for your well wishes.

It can be very rewarding to adopt a dog from a rescue. Since the AKC started allowing mixed breeds to compete in obedience I hope this in turn makes more people look toward shelters and adoption centers for their forever dogs. I highly respect those who dedicatedly breed quality pure bred dogs as well, but I also think it is very cool for AKC to allow mixed breeds to compete in obedience.

So sorry for your loses. I can not fathom losing so many within a short period of time. Hugs.

When I lost Brutus, my black lab, 5 years ago I was heartbroken, he was a week shy of 13. We anticipated his passing for a while so go another dog about 6 months prior, Brutus hated that new dog (the rat terrier in my avatar). I didn't get Tanga, the rat terrier, for me but for Radar, the black and white mix in my avatar. At least that's the excuse I made. Now Radar is 17. We are getting close I fear, physically he is not bad but the mental side of him has gone down hill fast, the physical is not far behind. We have talked about getting another dog for Tanga, he's never been alone, but I am so afraid Radar will not like a new dog around, just like Brutus didn't. I feel so guilty for doing that to Brutus. We will probably wait until Radar is gone before getting Tanga (and us) another buddy. It will be a rescue like the they've always been.

Congrats on your new additions!

I should have added a KUDDO to you and to you Sonya....for adopting from rescues.

I'm also a supporter of ADOPTING and we also foster both dogs and cats for our local shelters.

Right now we have a "fospice" Pomeranian (22 yrs old) and just began fostering an orphan kitten.

PLUS we have two minis who are unofficial rescues....but that's another story.
default_smile.png

Having adopted a number of adult dogs, we used to say we were running a doggie retirement home. We had two such clusters of losses -- first when we lost Hillary (Westie mix), Sophie (Poodle/Maltese cross) and Ella (Pyrenees/Retriever cross), and more recently when we lost Teddie (Yorkie) and Shadow (Toy Poodle). Just this past year we lost our senior cats, Willoughby and Santana Even though they all lived a fairly long lives, each was a traumatic loss. Despite having them with us for only a short time, we will always provide a home for elder dogs who need us.

I love that despite your sorrow, you were moved to adopt Riley. We all know that we never replace those who are lost -- love is multiplied, not divided. Bringing another into your home is the best way to honor those who came before.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Your new one is awful cute! He looks like he is going to be lots of fun. He has a twinkle in his eyes!

Thank you all so much for your kind words. Susanne, you really touched my heart with your support of our adoption of Riley, your words really moved me to tears.

I took Riley to my vet today and the entire staff came out and gave him cookies and greeted him and welcomed him. My vet said " I know now why you were moved to adopt him" as he greeted everybody there like a long lost friend.

I told her that I couldn't explain it but it felt like I already knew him when I met him.

Bless all of you for helping me heal some from the pain by sharing my story here. I still cry every day and especially when I check this thread, but it is a good cry missing three good dogs I was blessed to have in my life.

I too have a soft spot for older dogs and have adopted quite a few in my lifetime, sprinkled in with some puppies just to keep me extra humble.

Latest posts

Back