dog food

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
What kind of dog food do you feed? I am looking for a new food, and realize I will probably need two as we have a 6 month old puppy and a 2 year old overweight pug. They are both on Hills Ideal Balance currently. The pug does fine but would like something more for weight loss, the puppy is a scrawny little thing. He isnt skinny but is getting almost a cup a feeding (2x) and is shinny but skinny and has gas that could kill a person. Not sure at exact weight but at 4 months at his vet appointment he was 12 pounds. The pug is about 26 pounds. Prefer grain free.

I feed Blue Buffalo grain free turkey & potatoe sensitive digestion to my 2 labs. Pricey, but I'm happy with the results. They keep a nice weight, nice coat and no gas

I also feed Blue. I have a rescue with food allgeries and he does really well on their fish and potato food

I feed Natural Balance, also grain free. The flavor is salmon and sweet potatoe, my dogs love it. The fish makes their breath stink, but their coats are really nice.

I use Taste of the Wild Salmon.Pricey but you don't have to feed as much as cheaper feed.They make several flavors-all grain free.

I will have to look into all of those. The puppy will run out of food before our pug as I just bought a new huge bag for her and our other dog who has since passed. Maybe I will start with the puppy first and see how it goes. He is hard to switch over then the pug as he tends to have more belly upsets than her.

I also feed Blue. I have a rescue with food allgeries and he does really well on their fish and potato food
Not to steal the thread but is that Lancelot in your Avatar New Mini ? I just love him. Is he still full of spunk? My friend had him over the winter, awhile back, she was considering buying him but changed her mind. I wanted him in the worst way but had to keep repeating to myself. "No more minis, no more minis you only have 1 bum and three horses now". Lol

My little indoor guys get Taste of Wild Wetlands Formula With Roasted Fowl. As mentioned, no grain and it doesn't take much.

Yes That is Lance. He is still full of spunk and is a wonderful guy to drive. He is a joy to be around.

I'm so glad he went to a good home! Ok I'm done hogging Ashley's thread. Sorry Ashley, back on topic, when I put Hershey

On the blue buffalo, I had just got him, he came with the food he was on but was having diarrhea everywhere and all

Kinds of stomach upsets. He was 2 at the time. I know you should always do a gradual food switch but I didn't. I figured

He was already having major problems as it was.

It worked like a charm and I haven't looked back.

Alison

I used Blue Buffalo for a good while, but the price just kept climbing, and my little house dogs didn't like/wouldn't eat the 'flavor bits'...those little black pieces...thereby wasting/not utilizing, a good part of that pricey food. I now feed the two OLD tiny dogs, and the senior Dobie, a mix of Costco's 'Mature Dog' and 'Taste of the Wild',usually the Bison or Lamb-based varieties. The tinies also get some canned '4 Health' and a bit of 'Caesar' mixed in. They all seem happy and eat well.( I have a 17 YO Maltese, a 15 YO Chi, along w/ the 9-10? YO Dobie, who was given me because she wasn't happy in a city back yard, was barking, didn't get the 'be-with-my-human' time she yearned for. She is a contented dog here, where she gets to be inside whenever she pleases, and sleeps alongside the bed...suits ALL of us!)

We feed Blue Diamond dry dog food which is a no grain. It's available at Feed stores.

They make small breed, senior, large breed varieties.

I've seen Taste of the Wild at the feed stores too and have considered trying it.

Have you tried adding probios? Or a teaspoon of pumpkin, or both.... or pumpkin and plain yogurt added to the food.

Sometimes it isn't only the food causing the problem but the bones and treats and chewable treats too. I have heard of folks feeding high quality food, but not checking the ingredient list of the treats. Just a thought, you probably already thought of that.

The pumpkin has helped my whole doggie household make firm poop, eliminate gas, and the fiber is good for them

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogless right now-but I fed Blue Wilderness Chicken. Wondered if anyone has fed Nature's Variety in any of the types: Instinct, Prairie or Raw? And how do some of you feel about the raw (quality) diets??

They do not get much for treats. What we do have now was for the old dog who needed them in order to take her various medications when she had them. Other then the random treat they get compressed raw hide bones, and again this is only to keep the puppy from chewing everything else up that he can get his mouth on. I did start the process of switching his food and he seems to be doing much better on that. No lose poop and very very little gas. He used to have so much gas I am pretty sure the room was green.

Back