How long after vulva turns RED

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunappy

Reaction score
I have been on mare stare for 3 weeks now. she has had signs then not. 2 times her vulva had what appeared to be broken vessles and looked streaky red, then back to pink. But yesterday there is no doubt it went from pink to Flaming RED. She has dropped 2 weeks ago, relaxed long vulva, mushy butt, cranky, night sweats all last week, milk is amber and salty, little sticky, no big hot bag though. she is not a maden mare. I live 5 miles from our farm as our house is not built yet and we rent. so we spend all day there and run down every 2 hours through the night. my husband and i are beat, we thought forsure she would go by now, but nothing. we have no date only april sometime. But her vulva is really red, all of it, not steaky this time. thanks nikki

Although it is different for each mare, mine turned a deep purple inside, and then within 2 to 6 hours, they foaled. One of mine turned a deeper pink and then stayed that way for a week and I gave up hope. Then she went to that dark purple/pink color and within a few hours she went. Good luck! What a nightmare doing the mare stare from that far away! I feel for you. It shouldn't be long now!

I agree, usually within hours. DONT leave her- here comes a new baby!! :aktion033:

IM so confused. my mare once again has changed back to a light pink vulva. If my husband didnt see it yesterday bright red also, I would think I was losing my mind. Is this common for a mare to turn red then turn back to pink??? thanks nikki

I just read in "The complete book of foaling" that a red vulva is not a good sign impending parturition or on coming labor. It can turn red for lots of reasons. I myself have never found it to be a good sign. I do look but it is red as offen as it is not even when the mare is in full labor.

I think if we check our mares all year round you would find it going for pink to red alot.

I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!

My maiden mare is at day 326 and she gives me every sign and then nothing!!!

I am beat and frustrated and my hubby who is non-horsey just thinks I have gone completely mad!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope your mare foals really soon......

I know this doesn't help but I think the only sign I now believe is water breaking and seeing a nose appear, all the books say what to look for when foaling is imminent but unless imminent is 2 weeks my mare is fooling me
default_wink.png
:

I hope you have a healthy foal soon!!!!

Not a sign I have ever noticed or one that we would go by. There are a lot of more imminent signs in my humble opinion & we have been breeding horses for nearly 50 years.

This "sign" for foaling is also being discussed on another thread. And I agree that it is NOT a sign to depend on.

There is a list of other things to watch for in a mare that should also be considered. Plus, not every mare will show you some or all of those Red Flags!

MA

Three days for my mare, but I was paying more attention to other signs and just happend to notice the color change too.

Latest posts

Back