How is Crystal looking?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
I have owned Crystal almost a month now and I am new to minis so let me know please how you think shes doing. When I got her she was a bit on the fat side, but possibly pregnant. I have been feeding her half a flake of hay twice a day. Anyone think she looks worse? Better? Losing weight? Looking more or less pregnant? I do know she needs her feet done, working on getting one out. But Im in a rural area, and getting one out has been a problem. Ugh.

Today, excuse the dirt on her butt lol. It just rained and she rolled.
default_smile.png

2lcrc00.jpg

When I got her

bgwsvc.jpg

Few other pics from tody

29m910p.jpg

jfferm.jpg

She looks fine. I don't think a total of one flake a day is enough for her to eat. To diet a mini it's best to do it slowly and not quickly
default_smile.png

Do you know for sure she's not pregnant? If she is bred a diet isn't a good thing in my view.

She looks fine. I don't think a total of one flake a day is enough for her to eat. To diet a mini it's best to do it slowly and not quickly
default_smile.png

Do you know for sure she's not pregnant? If she is bred a diet isn't a good thing in my view.
I was not dieting her. I was told that is the normal amount to feed a mini. These are good sized flakes that feed my adult full sized quarter horses two flakes a day. What would you suggest she get?

Depends on what they weight, what type it is etc
default_smile.png
Mine don't have grass so they get 2-3 flakes each so they always have something to nibble on. It's grass hay.

You're doing well with your pretty girl
default_smile.png

I was not dieting her. I was told that is the normal amount to feed a mini. These are good sized flakes that feed my adult full sized quarter horses two flakes a day. What would you suggest she get?
How big of a mini is she? At least her height. What else is she getting, or is the hay her whole diet? what type of hay?

Whether or not a flake of hay might be enough, depends on the size of the mini and the size of the flake. My little 31" stallion can probably get by on one flake of hay a day and leave some in his feeder; whereas my 38" mares easily eat 1-2 flakes per meal. [i have smaller square bales my FIL puts up, the bales are only about 40#; 4 mares share about 1/3 a bale per meal.

I feed alfalfa. We guess her to weight about 300 lbs. Shes 33.5 inchs. The flake I give her there is often a little left over so I dont think shes underfeed. I know there is no way shed be able to eat 2-3 flakes a day of hay. Hmm... I will watch her weigh, but she doesnt appear to be losing a bunch of weight. I think her belly has grown. LOL

Thank you. I addore her and wanna do right by her.

There big bales with big flakes. The bales are like 140 lbs a bale.

As long as she seems to have a little hay left over or has not long finished it up before you feed her again, I would say that you have the amount just about right. But from your pictures she does look as though she could use a little more weight on her back (mind you I didn't think she looked that much overweight when you got her!). Does she get free choice minerals/vitamins available, or you could try feeding her a balancer to be sure she is getting all her 'essentials'?

As for her being in foal - she could be from the look of her tummy, but then of course she has also had many foals in the past, so could be just showing a typical 'brood mare' tummy! Can you get some WeeFoal test strips to try as this would give you the answer.
default_yes.gif

Dont forget that plenty of exercise is essential for pregnant mares, so think about spreading her hay around her paddock area so she naturally moves around while nibbling, plus take her out for walking exercise whenever you can. (sorry not too sure how much space she has available to her or what sort of 'lifestyle' she leads.

But she is looking good and is a lucky girl to have found you!
default_yes.gif

Alfalfa should give her plenty of protein. It's hard to know how to answer without knowing all the info
default_smile.png

Can you mix a little grass hay in with the alfalfa?

She's a lucky girl
default_yes.gif

She's a very pretty girl! You're doing such a good job being a horse mom. :)

I feed mostly alfalfa hay too. No pasture. I also feed mine a pelleted horse feed. You should check into using a ration balancer.

As long as she seems to have a little hay left over or has not long finished it up before you feed her again, I would say that you have the amount just about right. But from your pictures she does look as though she could use a little more weight on her back (mind you I didn't think she looked that much overweight when you got her!). Does she get free choice minerals/vitamins available, or you could try feeding her a balancer to be sure she is getting all her 'essentials'?

As for her being in foal - she could be from the look of her tummy, but then of course she has also had many foals in the past, so could be just showing a typical 'brood mare' tummy! Can you get some WeeFoal test strips to try as this would give you the answer.
default_yes.gif

Dont forget that plenty of exercise is essential for pregnant mares, so think about spreading her hay around her paddock area so she naturally moves around while nibbling, plus take her out for walking exercise whenever you can. (sorry not too sure how much space she has available to her or what sort of 'lifestyle' she leads.

But she is looking good and is a lucky girl to have found you!
default_yes.gif
She had a mineral block in there but other then that she gets just alfalfa. Do you think she needs more then that?

As far as the wee foal I read by a few different people to get the 120, and if she is pregnant by the last ladies stallion she is not that fr along yet. So I was gonna wait a bit longer to do that. I dont know how it work though, do you get one strip at a time?

Excerise shes in a 24 x 12 stall, then she goes out either on 3.3 acres to run, or in a large arena or a few hours every other day at most, sometimes everyday. Plus we take her for small walks. I need to get her hooves trimmed so we dont walk her to much.

Thank you, my kids say Im as overprotective with my animals as I am with them worrying about all this. LOL

Alfalfa should give her plenty of protein. It's hard to know how to answer without knowing all the info
default_smile.png

Can you mix a little grass hay in with the alfalfa?

She's a lucky girl
default_yes.gif
Yep I can. So like feed her how much? If shes got food on the ground most times when I feed her again wouldnt the grass just go to waste though since most horses seem to prefer alfalafa?

Thank you. I feel lucky to have her
default_smile.png

She's a very pretty girl! You're doing such a good job being a horse mom. :)

I feed mostly alfalfa hay too. No pasture. I also feed mine a pelleted horse feed. You should check into using a ration balancer.
Thank you. You all are so nice.

Ill look into it.
default_smile.png
Dont know what that is.
default_smile.png

A ration balancer is a vitamin and mineral supplement with protien, of varying levels based on brand, that fills in the gaps when feeding a forage based diet. It is a small concentrated amount that is fed, as to not add a large amount of extra calories or starches to the diet, looks like horse feed.

What I meant was, I would mix the grass hay with the alfalfa (together) & feed that. She would nibbles out the alfalfa first then have grass hay to munch on afterwards. Good idea with the balancer Michelle
default_smile.png

Where are you located ? We have big bales here in southern CA... A flake is far, far heavier than flakes in the Midwest that come off a two wire bale.

I prefer grass hay with a little alfalfa (maybe 50/50). It's somewhat important to weigh their hay... So a scale is pretty darn useful .

She's a pretty girl. You'll get lots of ideas here. I'm also a straight alfalfa feeder, and think it's the best for them. If she's leaving some than she's probably doing just fine. A ration balancer might be a good idea, though.

Latest posts

Back