How Has You Foaling Season Been So Far? Unassisted Deliveries or Problems?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy B

Reaction score
Last year so many of our members had problems and losses with their foaling and I thought it would be good to see how everyone does this year and if it goes any better.

For me we had one mini mare abort a pinto colt. She was about 2 months early. She had a pretty severe colic two days before she aborted and the cord appeared extremely twisted.

Since then we had one Quarter Horse mare foal a gorgeous buckskin filly.

We are still expecting 5 mini mares to foal and have two of those in being watched as of yesterday. They are just a few days over 300 and one is bagging up and the other has not started yet.

Mine is not going well so far. One mare aborted early Feb and another had a bad dystocia 2 weeks ago. But, it will get better! One mare under camera now and another close behind.

We have not started yet! I'm watching 3 mares. I hope they hurry up because I have more coming due in April!

One mare aborted in late January, at approximately 240 days - no known reason and the mare bounched back quickly, thank goodness. We're watching the remaining five now. Three of them were hand bred - we know their due dates so we can plan accordingly. But two were purchased 'pasture bred' June 1 through Sept. 1 without much additional info on them, so we're watching them like hawks!

Last edited by a moderator:
One fantastic colt, nearly 3 weeks old and waiting on 2 more , fingers crossed all goes well..good luck everyone
default_pray.gif

one awesome filly, no problems and waiting on 4 but have no idea when came to us pastured with stallion

Seems like I am hearing about a lot of aborted foals this year. My only bred mare aborted three weeks ago at 270 days.

one mare aborted due to twisted cord and another aborted for no apparent reason, so waiting not very patiently for a healthy baby as I am a little down from the losses

No problem here--one mare bred and she delivered a healthy foal, unassisted, on Feb. 18th.

It has been a good year--filly back in January/unassisted and colt in February that was delivered easily.

We lost a really TINY full sister to Fan Man yesterday. Her dam had no bag and was in labor when I checked at 7 a.m. Red bag. Head and both legs turned back. Got out fairly quickly but unable to resusitate. Black pinto and smaller than Fan Man was.

We lost a really TINY full sister to Fan Man yesterday. Her dam had no bag and was in labor when I checked at 7 a.m. Red bag. Head and both legs turned back. Got out fairly quickly but unable to resusitate. Black pinto and smaller than Fan Man was.

Oh man I am sorry, is mom doing okay? You were lucky to get that bad of a dystocia corrected and out.

Ill answer when the foals are all born , dont want to tempt fate

Back