How far along is a mare to see alote of movement

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
I just bought a mare yesturday.She is not a mini But the question could be used for mini mares also. She does not look heavy in foal.But looks dropped but not wide.I was told Feb/March due.I stabled her last night.And the foal was really moving and you could see that it was a good size in her.As it just wasn`t the legs moving. I am worried that she is far along and just under weith abite.I would post apic or 2.But not sure if aloud she this question is in the Miniature Horse forum.So my question is.Can foals really move alote when they are 1/2 term?

Appymini,

When my paint mare was about 5 months she was huge, so much of a belly I thought twins! I didnt see the foal move per say such as kicking, but I could tell at different times that it switched positions.I will pm you some pics of her if you would like. If your seeing movement like that I would think its possible she is right on target for about 8 months.I would love to see her.
default_smile.png

Our first mini mare we got was in foal. The only way you could tell she was in foal was the foal movement (which was a lot). She was not under weight. She just had a large foal with very little amneotic fluid. She foaled, with assistance, 4 weeks after we got her. I have seen a big mare that was grosely under weight and due to foal and that is not something you really want to see. The mare died and they were able to save the foal. IMO if you can not see the backbone she most likely is not under weight. You can PM me with pics.

My friend just got a mare. She's suppose to be due in March (but they are guessing late Feb). That baby moves like crazy! I watched the baby kick mommy a ton in just a few minutes. So I think it may just be normal for some mares. I didn't see movement on my mini mare for quite some time.

Could she be farther along than you think?

Here's what WE have experienced with our mares ---

At 5 months gestation we feel a "flutter".

At 6 months we begin to feel a tiny kick once in awhile.

At 7 months there are definite kicks.

Over the final 2 months of pregnancy we can actually SEE movements and kicks.

I agree with Minv. I have two mares that are due in March 2009, both in the first two weeks probably. I can feel definite strong kicks when I hold my hand near their udders, but I cannot SEE movement yet,. I find it will be a month or more before I will be able to see strong movement without touching them. I think it was around 270 days pregnant when I noticed the movement in my last years mare.

Latest posts

Back