How do you add the "horsey touch" to your farm?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VerticallyChallenged

Reaction score
I saw the concrete mini post and that pic of the farm sign with the two horse statues...very cute! It is time to replace our mailbox and I have bought one, painted it, and am waiting to find some horse decals to decorate it with. Someone else on here posted photos awhile back on her new beautiful barn being built, and the white gates she built while waiting...those pics were GREAT!

I thought it would be fun to share ideas of what you have done to decorate your farm? I also plan to put a hitching rail in near the barn one of these days....and would LOVE to have a silhouette mural painted on my garage door! I know someone who does that...and just been waiting for the funds!

We have white posts on our driveway entrance area with an iron horse head on it...

And when we had the cement poured for our front porch, my hubby took an old shoe from one of my horses and imprinted the shoe into the concrete before it dried. We have gotten lots of compliments on those!

Please share! Pics too, if ya have 'em! I think it's so fun to see what people come up with!

Angie

I have a cement horse that was given to me a long while back by a good friend. My hubby painted it to look like Twister, my silver white stallion (soon to be gelding) and one of my favorites horses....

I put it under my "Shadybrook" sign..will try to find a picture and post it later. I do also have a rocking horse that I am waiting for someone to fix up for me...want a pole put down the center and have it in the middle of my little field that faces the road...thought that would be a little 'cute' touch...
default_wink.png
:

I don't have a lot of horsey stuff inside my house because not everyone shares my enthusiam and it's their house too! I do have some portraits that were made for me however and some statues etc. that I do display.

So most of my horsey stuff is outside in yard art forms here and there and of course inside the barn is loaded.

If you go to my Diary of a Barn page, you'll see my mailbox, front and back entranceway, gates, and some things in the yard all horsey decorated.

Here is the front of the barn where I have iron posts and cast horse heads (same as the back entranceway) and hanging baskets from them. Sometimes the baskets are fake, other times the flowers are real. Depends on the season. In the winter, I change out the flower baskets to solar lights hanging from the horse heads.

BarnMay07.jpg

Here is part of the back entranceway

Hard to see but on the mail box is one of Sonny's horse shoes and a wooden horsey cutout

castironhorseheads.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 rooms in my house that are totally decorated with horse items. Can't look anywhere without seeing some horse decor. Stuffed horses, figurines, lamps, vases and lots and lots of pictures of my own horses. I also turned one of the bedrooms into my own personal horse sanctuary. All kinds of horse decor items and lots of pics of my own horses including a 20" by 30" poster of each of my 3 horses. Love these!! My barn is also decorated inside and out with horse decor. All kinds of plaques and horse sayings inside the barn and horse signs on the outside. My yard is also full of horse yard art. With me, it's an obsession!!
default_yes.gif
:

Marty! THat's it! It was YOU who I was referring to! You are pretty inspiring!

I hang baskets from my horse heads too...I just love that. I LOVE the solar light idea in the wintertime!! Do they have hanging ones? I just bought some solar lights yesterday for our walkway....I really like them.

My house isn't overly horsey decorated for the same reason someone posted above.... although my office downstairs is covered top to bottom. It's "my space" so that's ok! But I really would love some ideas to add that "horsey touch" outside....give our place that welcoming feeling I see everywhere else...but just don't feel here!

Angie

Guilty as charged.

Ok here's some things I have that may inspire you:

Top pic is gates to my barnyard. It's in very bad need of a white washing and painting, sorry.

We have not been attentive to the yard this year at all and things aren't looking very nice

at the moment, but will get to it asap. The gate has wooden horsey cutouts that I screwed into each side.

On the gate post is a horsey flag

I also have a smaller horsey flag too not pictured.

You can't see it, but I also have a horsey bell there on the other side

Below, left is old wagon wheels with the solar lanturn hanging off cast iron horse heads that slip down onto posts and screw in. I get them here at the flea markets every year. About $20. each for this smaller size. $45.00 for larger ones. Then I fixed them to chain link posts that I got from Lowe's and painted them black to match. The lanturns did come with the things that

you stick into the ground, but I prefered to hang them. They have little hooks on them so

easy to do. That needs painting too! I'm a bum.

Bottom left is my gas tank disguise.....the horse there was purchased at Tractor Supply

about $40.00. You would be surprised at how many people were calling when I had him in front of the house saying I had a horse loose. I finally had to move him to the back.

Then, horsey weather vane. I used to sell the weather vanes and horsey

bells so if you need any of those, I might still have one set aside someplace.

Decoyard1.jpg

Next are some of my pasture gates. All my gates have something on them such as

more wooden horsey cut outs or horse shoes that belonged to horses that I used to own

that have passed on.

Then for some dumb reason there is another picture here that has nothing to do with anything horsey. It's Jerry's grape vine thingy and I shoved my bird house bench there to make me a little sitting place. I had flowers all over it but killed them all. Forgot to water. That's Amy in there too.

One more idea that I did was to paint the porch swing, porch rocker, and picnic table and then I did a horse stencil on them. I got the stencil at Walmart.

Decoyard2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Marty!

I went into town yesterday and looked at hanging solar lights.... I didn't buy any, but just checking prices and seeing what's out there! Just based on your photos, I love your farm! I actually have been looking into getting a horse weathervane, been checking them out on Ebay anyway. I have also been looking for those wood/iron park benches with horses on them. I have seen other peoples' but never seen them for sale around here. Have seen them in catalogs for quite a lot.... but am going to keep looking!

The horseshoe thing on our front porch...I probably would not do that again. It looked GREAT for a few years, but now the concrete is starting to break up around them...ugh. The concrete is 6 years old? Oh well!

Thanks for sharing your pics!!

Angie

My husband thinks that 6 minis and 3 full-size horses are enough "horsey" decorations for the place. However, my computer room is loaded with horse pictures, a few Breyers, horse stationary, horse letter openers, etc.

I'm boring... inside, I have tons of horse things for decoration, but outside, the only horsey things are the horses, the horse trailers, and the barns... Not very much decorated for horses, just our bushes, flowers, etc., but no real signs of horsey-ness other than the real things
default_smile.png

Angie, my farm is small and very modest and I improvise a lot.

The only reason we even have a farm sign is in case I have a customer for a horse or an emergency, a ambulance or anything can find this place at night.

I just saw some solar lights like mine on sale at the dollar store marked down in half, about $10.00 for 2.

They also have an inexpensive version of the park benches and you can easily stencil a horse on it.

I improvise a whole lot.
default_wacko.png
:

Back