How can u tell if a miniature is show quality?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaturehorselover

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 10 year old double registered miniature mare who sire is Fallen Ash farms Blue interlude and dam is Vermilyea farms legacy Jubilee. She was about to be sent to slaughter but was rescued. She definitely needs to get her teeth floated as they are all crooked does that effect the show quality? And also what does it take for her to be show quality? She has been shown as a yearling but that was 9 years ago

DSC09175.JPG

DSC09187.JPG

DSC09179.JPG

DSC09182.JPG

"Show quality" is a spectrum, and not a yes-or-no decision. It depends on how competitive you want to be and what you want to show in.

And even a horse that's conformationally amazing wont be fit for showing if its untrained, underweight, or poorly groomed and cared for.

As to the teeth... A photo would help. They shouldn't have an overbite or underbite.

While from these pictures, I don't think you have a halter horse, I do think she could very well be a champion in the performance arena. Not all horses have to show halter so see what her apptitude is with obstacle, driving, hunter, jumper, showmanship. She could excel in any of those. Show quality depends on what part of showing you want to do.

she jumps,loves obstacles she is so pretty when she is shaved o_O almost blue roan her mom Vermilyea Farms Legacy jubilee and her dad is Fallen Ash farms blue interlude i also attached pictures of Gem as a yearling

Tracey with Gem 2004.jpg

I agree with MiniMomNC. Showing isn't just halter. There are other show divisions that your horse may excel in. Have fun showing your mini! She is cute!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Performance is definitely your way to go if she has a good mind and athletic ability. Remember she may not be in A1 shape now, but fitness level is something you can control, unlike conformation, type, etc.

A "show quality" horse has a lot of meanings! There's show quality for u13, youth, amateurs who do everything themselves, amatuers who pay a pro the big bucks the switch hands on the lead as they go in the ring, pros, somebody who just wants to have fun and not be embarassad, and those who want to win everything. Ask anyone of those people, you will get a different answer on what show quality is. Have fun with your made! Find what's she's good at, you enjoy, and roll with it!

Back