Appy or gray?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaturehorselover

Reaction score
Hi there, most of u guys know Gem already.. but who ever who doesen`t will get to know her. She is double registered AMHA and AMHR. She is roughly 33 inches registered name is Wagner Blue J legacy Gem (sire Fallen Ash farms blue interlude and dam Vermilyea farms legacy Jubilee) i was looking in her papers and it says she is a blue roan -_- she is solid gray with a few black/ blue spots can this mean she is a appy? Also im planing on showing her as she was in shows before but what is a good confirmation on a miniature and what do judges look for in jumping and agility? thanks

382480_479304892159190_593435433_n.jpg

404442_414432668646413_494396784_n.jpg

942596_459824097440603_1939118397_n.jpg

480469_413995318690148_2006286210_n.jpg

483432_413995035356843_1373775958_n.jpg

Your horse's pedigree could be linked to FWF Little Blue Boy, if so, it is grey. I have a horse dna tested that he is a black roan, but he appears completely white (grey). The grey gene has masked his original color. Could be what has occurred to yours.

IM001358.JPG

It is linked to FWF Little Blue boy
default_smile.png
she is his grand daughter. She was and is black under her fur but she is gray

Could be she was registered before she turned gray and genetically she is roan. Our gray mare is genetically a silver bay and frame overo. She has pink skin where the pinto pattern is/was white but dark skin everywhere else. Our mare also has what I think is called a "bloody shoulder" spot but it is on her side. She also has a lot of mottled skin but there are NO apps in her pedigree unless the pedigree is wrong (always a possibility before DNA was required).

Look on our website (link below) in the 4-H section and there is some information on conformation and also on hunter and jumper classes and how they are judged. Hunter is usually judged on formand consistency while jumper is usually judged just on faults (e.g. knockdowns or refusals) although in AMHR ties are broken by time. There is also information on other classes that applies not just to 4-H.

also is it necessary to clip ur horse? My mini looks purple after her clipping lol her dad is a gray so is her grandfather. Her mom is a brown and white paint bit registered as a chestnut

Last edited by a moderator:
My little gray horse above has a LOT of mottled skin, visable when wet or close clipped, but he has no app in his pedigree that I have confidence in its integrity.. If you are careful not to clip her too closely, use a 10 blade, she will not look so 'purple' as you said. If she has shed out to a natural coat, you could also just tidy up her head and legs and leave the body alone. She is a doll.

she barely has any fur so i think she will be good. Also do i need to shave her feathers? And i shaved her head in the spring completely bald and her neck now its re-grown so i think it should be good i will get pictures of her today she is dirty tough :p

Yes, please do remove leg feathers, legs should appear very clean cut...If she is in summer coat some brisk rubbing should most likely spiff her up. Be sure to clean up her jaw line so she does not have any hint of what I call a 'beard' on my guys.

Flea bitten grey... is what I am seeing.

Dyfra is flea bitten too. Born Red dun, has grayed out. Then very slowly, she has gotten more flea bitten every year. She has flea bites on her face too.

551613_4156775084048_828006525_n.jpg

Many people mistake one of the earlier stages of gray as roan or appy when it is in fact not. Your horse may have been registered during this stage. Grays are pretty cool with the way they are ever changing. I think my husband's is going to end up being a fleabitten gray, but in the current stage he is mostly white with a few light gray dapples still on his stomach but a few flea bites are showing up on his head and neck now. Different horse each year so far. At one point he looked like a varnish appy though he had no appy genes in him.

Dyfra has been very slowly getting flea bites every year, the last 10 years... started very faint... and currently looking like this..... LOL

Back