Horse show help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srminiatures

Reaction score
I was wondering what is the best stuff to wear to show In driving, halter, showmanship, jumping, & liberty? I have shown some but really wan to up my game come spring so would like to know what is best to wear in the different events?

For all events I would recommend a rail shirt or jacket ( if you don't know what this is just look on google images)

Personally I find vests a bit dated looking, but that's my opinion. If you are showing at a rated show in country or single pleasure driving some people do wear an evening gown type dress. If you decide to do this make sure it comes to your ankles and that there won't be any wardrobe malfunction. For liberty people tend to be more relaxed since it is at the end or late at night, but normal show attire is fine.

For showmanship you can wear a jacket or rail shirt, some people have the whole color coordinating outfit-- top, pants and boots.

Have a good fitting hat, tailored pants, belt, and boots ( a must for all outfits).

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you're especially fond of it, don't feel that you have to go with a Western style -- there is no English or Western in minis.

(Edited to say -- EXCEPT in Western Country Pleasure Driving, of course!)

Erica Killion, one of the most successful amateurs in AMHR, typically wears nice blazers in bright colors. As for driving classes, I would look at what the professional trainers and handlers wear; it's usually showy yet tasteful, with hardly an evening gown or prom dress to be seen. Syndi Kanzler is a great example.

Ok thank you so much =) Im really wanting next year to get my farm name out there but I don't want to look like a fool showing in the wrong outfit....

Thank you so much =) and no I don't know what a rail shirt is but I will look that up....
Here is a general idea of the cut/style, it doesn't have to be that design.

Another idea is to look through the AMHA and AMHR magazines (posted on their websites so you can read for free).

images.jpeg

For halter showing many exhibitors wear a blazer or jacket of some sort, with slacks or colored jeans. Boots are not required--a nice pair of shoes is fine; there are many people showing in shoes.

The nice thing about showing Miniatures--unlike some/many of the big horse breeds--you do not have to spend a small fortune on a good show outfit. There is no need to spend hundreds of dollars on a rail shirt or brand name show jacket. Many Mini exhibitors find their jackets at thrift stores or on the sale rack at one of the regular stores at their local mall. In the Mini ring you will not be counted down because you didn't spend hundreds of dollars on your outfit.

Latest posts

Back