horse safety

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelveoaks

Reaction score
:new_shocked: i have notice a lot of kids when showing wrap the lead around their hands, Horse safety 101 is you NEVER wrap a lead around your hands.

why is this right for the minis or is it

thanks

twelveoaks

Well, this is my first time with a mini, but having had horses in the past, I would certainly tell anyone not to wrap a lead around their hand. It's a bad habit to get into, and if you forgot yourself, you could accidentally do it with a larger horse. And, as mentioned before, the little guys can surprise you as to how strong they are, particularly if a young child were leading them. That would be the equivalent of an adult holding an full-size horse. I don't know anything about showing minis, but surely this isn't actively allowed by the judges, etc.?! :no: I mean no offense, obviously. As I said, I know nothing about the show world. Any horse I've ever had, or been involved with, has been strictly for pleasure. But, from the time I was a small child, (and there are pictures of me in the saddle. long before I could walk :bgrin ), safety was always drummed into my head, including not wrapping a lead around one's hand.

i think you must be referring to the halter show ring. I have done this myself and watched many many trainers and amatuers do it. But if you watch its only done for that couple minutes you are showing your horse for the judge. If you notice none of these people (including myself) do it leading the horse in or out of the ring and as soon as the judge is done we all unwrap. Now i wrap mine pretty lose but i have seen some wrap very tight. It puts tension in the lead rope to get the head up and out. Hard to describe in type. Also keep in mind that these leads are usually leather or biothane so they uncoil very quickly (and usually full of baby oil)

I would never however teach a young child to do this but like you i have seen them do it

kay

I met a women at the Perry Auction last November who had lost a finger to a lead around her hand. We get to laid back with the minis and develop a lot of bad habits because they are small. We really should use the same safety habits we were taught with bigger horses! I am as guilty as everyone else. But really there are some people whose first ever horse is a mini. We should be better role models.

I know a young lady who was my daughters age. She was killed being dragged at 16 or 17. Safety habits should be used until you use them without thinking. You never know when your perfect horse is going to spook for the first time in his life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I work with a new person and a mini, the first lesson is how to hold the lead. I watch and have a fit every time I see anyone lead one of my horses with the lead wrapped around their hand. I did that with a half grown cow about 20 years back and broke two bones in my hand as a result. One of the bones is not totally correctly set, so anyone can feel the result of wrapping a lead. Showing someone this will usually be all it takes to make them take folding the lead seriously. I feel anyone can trip and spook a horse and a loose horse is much preferrable to a broken hand.

Angie

If many adults believe it to be unsafe then they need to lead by example. It only takes a few minutes for something to happen. I have a gelding that draagged my friend's daughter before only because she wouldn't let go as she was afraid he'd run away. I told her if it ever happened again to let him run away. I was thinking just yesterday evening that if my gelding can easily pull me and a cart together that he can do the same with just me on the ground with a lead.

Most people that start out with large horses know not to do that as that is one of the first things taught but minis always are treated differently as if it won't ever happen with them.

I know one young woman that does it because she has seen professional people do it so she follows them. :no:

Amanda

NOT SAFE -- If you are referring to regular cotton leads, just tie a knot close to the loose end. It becomes a stopper for the heel of your left hand. Also, the kids (and adults) need to know, it's better to let the horse GO when it takes off rather than getting a broken finger, hand, arm or whatever.

I had a big horse take off after a mare years ago. The end of the lead wrapped around my finger by itself (no loop) and pulled my finger. I didn't even have it wrapped around my hand as you describe. My finger is still mishapen, even tho I took a trip to the emergency room. Best advice: Let GO.

If we're talkin' show leads, many are sold with a stopper already on them.

You never say NEVER. I agree with Kaykay. The only correct time to wrap a leadrope around your hand would be when you're working with an already trained horse posing in the arena. Then if you're at the end of a 6' lead you may do a few wraps to get closer to him.

NO! DEFINATELY NOT safe or acceptable in minis!! I just HATE that...I cringe when I see it! My husband is 100% non-horsey, and when I ask him to help at times, like for picture taking, he wraps that rope around his hand! I tell him time and time again...Do NOT do that, but he's a man...."Mr. Tough Guy"...it won't happen to him! Well, I am almost hoping it would, so he can see I'm not just blowing hot air!
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
: :eek:

I personally don't think it's safe in any context. We were taught in 4H that in the ring good showmanship is good horsemanship. I watched a horse bolt and slip their halter at R Nationals; we all heard about Miss Kentucky spooking at the '05 Worlds, and at the '03 Worlds I saw a handler who had it wrapped so tight around their hand that when their horse threw its head the lead broke. In other words, the unexpected happens in the ring as well, and I don't think any horse is trained well enough to go against common sense.

l have to say never not in the ring nor out of the ring. Anyone who has had first hand ha ha experience with a horse on the other end bolting has learned a lesson for life when it comes to hands like me.....all ours even the show leads have a knot in the end...

I've had the opportunity to teach several children some basics about horses and allow them to spend time with my horses, and the first things I teach are SAFETY. If they learn the safe ways to handle and be around a horse, then they are far less likely to get into trouble or get hurt-- and like someone said, it becomes a habit to do things the safe way. If any of these children go on to handle full-size horses, they will know the safe way to lead, etc. No leads wrapped around hands!

How about that lady a few years ago (forget where it was) that tied her (big) horse's lead rope to her BODY, and ended up being dragged to death? Yikes. :new_shocked: Safety first!

well i see there are only 2 of us that will admit this lol. like i said this is ONLY in the ring and i dont do a tight wrap. But i have been looking at various forum members websites and many many of them with show pics show the lead wrapped around the non baiting hand.

Oh no that is not safe at all!

I tell my kids, even when walking the dog, hold them in such a way that you can quickly let go.

I tell my kids to hold the rope lightly and use your elbow in the neck to turn/slow down, if need be! Works much better!

well i see there are only 2 of us that will admit this lol. like i said this is ONLY in the ring and i dont do a tight wrap. But i have been looking at various forum members websites and many many of them with show pics show the lead wrapped around the non baiting hand.
I will make it 3 Kay
default_yes.gif
: I have done this in the show ring as well. I see many things people handling minis do that isnt safe and really more of a pet peeve of mine is those that walk around with a death grip on there minis leadropes holding them right under the clip.. this is very dangerous as you or the horse has no space at all if something were to spook the horse and in reality you have less control that way.

Ok a bit off topic sorry lol

Nope not safe.

I teach my clients and youth no to do it but I do it. Especially in the show ring when they are all greasy.

So...I make 4. When you trot out of the ring after recieving your ribbon, the horse is be bopping all over as they are excited too and the last thing I need is a loose stallion in a ring with other loose stallions so yes I do it.

I have a knot in the end of every lead I own too.

Nope not safe at all. Reasons for it like many mentioned above if the horse jolts it can damage your hand or arm or you can be dragged.

The best way to hold the lead rope, especially for kids, is to have their right hand like 4" underneath the horses jaw and the rest of the lead rope in the childs left hand folded up in a figure 8.

I shouldn't preach I don't do that, but don't wrap the lead rope around myself, but thats the proper way.

[SIZE=12pt]Mia has had this drilled into her since she was old enough to hold a lead. At Nationals last year (and the year before), she missed being judged some because she was studiously refolding her lead
default_rolleyes.gif
: She knows how she's supposed to hold a lead, neatly folded back and forth, and by golly she's going to do it that way![/SIZE]

l have to say never not in the ring nor out of the ring. Anyone who has had first hand ha ha experience with a horse on the other end bolting has learned a lesson for life when it comes to hands like me.....all ours even the show leads have a knot in the end...
[SIZE=12pt]Yes, and I don't ever use Biothane show leads, no matter how pretty they look, and would NEVER send Mia out with one. If I get them with a new halter, I sell them or give them away. All of my show leads are leather, with a knot in the end
default_yes.gif
: Magic and Jammer (mouthy, funny boys) have chewed up quite a few over the years tied up between classes, but they're worth it and they know it.
default_wub.png
: [/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back