horse safety

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With our cotton lead ropes I've tied a knot at the end AND about halfway down the rope.

I learned the hard way about having a knot in the end of the leather show lead...even leather can become slippery, and several forum members sitnessed the results, LOL!

Good thread! I saw a TON of people (trainers included) doing this at Nationals last year and I thought I was missing something. I hadn't been doing it, but was going to try it in the ring this year. Guess not now!

I agree with most of the people on here and say it is not ever safe, not even for a few minutes in the show ring. Don't we love to brag about our strong little horses when it comes to that question, "but what are they good for?" They are strong and we should use the same rules of safety with them as we do with big horses. I haven't really been around shows so was surprised to see the leads wrapped around hands when I was watching a big on-line auction last year. I didn't realize it was common in the show ring.

NOT SAFE.

I speak from experience. After spending a number of years with only minis, then moving into ponies and full sized horses I believe now that we all should handle our horses the same way, no matter what their size - when it comes to leading, and working around them - ie....no matter what their size they can bolt, kick out, rear up, bite, and step on you.

Last year I made the mistake of treating a friend's full-sized Shetland the same as a small mini. He panicked and bolted over an unfamiliar sound and I didn't let go of his lead properly because it was wrapped in my hand........Let's just say -- I ate dirt, and my right hand will never look the same again.

On a positive note, my daughter witnessed the whole thing (embarrassing as it was), but she learned a lesson from it without having to experience the pain......unfortunately she also learned a few choice new words for her young vocabulary as well!
default_unsure.png
:

MA

Latest posts

Back