Horse Color is Sex Linked!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
Horse Color is Sex Linked!

Yes it is.
default_yes.gif

The proof is:

The foals of Bear Farms Ima Red Head. I think her production record is simply amazing.

Six foals by two different stallions. 50% fillies, 50% colts.

All colts are red.

All colts are homozygous for tobiano.

Reflections Color Me Free CBY

redboyclip3smaller.jpg

Reflections Star Burst

redcoltDSC_7501copy.jpg

Reflections Twist Star (Peggy, you win the prize)

P1010056web.jpg

All fillies are black

All fillies are heterozygous for tobiano.

Reflections Wings CBY (multi Champion, 27 1/2" at 4 years, Courtesy of Loess Hills)

redWingsSiouxFalls.jpg

Reflections Holiday Star (World Top Ten, Regional Champion, Thanks to Chris White)

redfillyCentralChcrop.jpg

Reflections Star On Cloud 9 (showing in the UK with Angela Cutler)

cloud2webDSC_8372.jpg

Now who can beat that record???? What other unusual production records are out there??? Let's hear about them!

Charlotte

p.s. good suggestion Rose. Here is Bear Farms Ima Red Head. (PtHA Reserve World Champion)

RedHead.jpg

I hope to have new pix of Wingys soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=10pt]Charlotte, that is an amazing and interesting production record for Bear Farms Ima Red Head. It makes one wonder about the "mixed up" genes from both parents that combine at the moment of conception. You should post a picture of Red. Have you ever had her color tested? [/SIZE]

By the way, we need an updated picture of Wings! She was a chubby yearling in that picture. We have had her tested, and you are right, she is heterozygous for tobiano, and heterozygous for black. Are the other black-based fillies the same?

Very interesting topic!

This is a great research project.

I will have to do a lot of homework to see if we have any patterns that are mare based.

I think I have centered on what the stallions are doing.

Thanks for sharing!

Not that I can add a lot but I do know that my stallion (silver black,tobiano) has produced 2 colts - one looking red based like his mother with no visual pinto - one looking just like him out of a solid black mare and that mare had a pinto red base the year before by a red based pinto stallion. His one filly was silver out of a solid black mare.

Many years ago I sent blood samples from Mini Appaloosas to Dr.Gus Cothran at U of KY(he was John Eberth's professor)They were hoping to find a color test for Appaloosa genes.Dr.Gus told me they were working on the theory that the leopard gene might be sex linked since most leopards were male.I have seen very few loud leopard females in my involvement with Apps both large and small in over 35 years.It will be interesting to see what happens in color testing in the next few years considering the amazing progress that has been made in the last few years.

That is very interesting bevann. I like to follow the app research even though we don't breed them. It's just interesting.

This thing with Red, it just seems to be beyond what could be coincidence. There must be something going on.

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back