Horse allergy desensitization

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxane Martin

Reaction score
My 10-yr old mare had some issues last year with spots on her face/neck that she rubbed, but this year it was awful! She is on dry lot but I do turn out for about 1 hour on a grass area. We are within 1/4 mile of a pond. I have had her for 6 years; the problem has started just a couple of years now. She would get spots on her body that would go hairless and then she would rub them or bite them until they were raw. These would be all over her face, her neck (but not where there was mane), shoulders and pasterns. We did use fly predators--noticed that fly sprays were relatively ineffective this year. She would be so itchy that I didn't have the heart to harness her this year. Vet figured allergies and I have her generic benedryl for about 2+ months until we finally got a freeze. This year was very wet (record rainfall for Aug/Sept).

Did allergy testing for IgE response and it was positive for some grasses (Johnson, timothy, bermuda), molds, molasses, corn pollen, stable flies, midges/gnats and sisal/jute. She has shown no issue with hives or respiratory reactions--no runny nose. Unfortunately her hay is, and has been, timothy mix or orchardgrass. I have removed molasses-grain and she is on Buckeye GrowNWin and Ultimate finish 25.

I actually think that the midges/gnats and flies are the real problem but do not want to keep her stabled--she is out in group 24/7. We are now in winter so don't have the insects for now but have to plan for next year. Are there light fly hoods/facemasks that would go down to muzzle?

Plan is to start desensitization program during the winter for all allergens that she tested positive or borderline to.

Have any of you ever had experience with allergy desensitization with horses and how did it work out?

Thanks.

Roxane Martin

Roxane -

I used to have a big horse that tested positive to about 80 different things. His primary symptoms were a strong cough. Most were not food. We did the shots and they worked very well. The cough was greatly reduced and I was very happy with the results.

A few years later, when we moved him from CO to TX, he developed a significant allergy to the Culicoides gnat, which is what is probably causing the severe itching and bald patches. This allergy tends to get worse every year, in my experience. My vet told me that there is a shot that can be given at the beginning of the season that offers relief. Unfortunately, my gelding had to be put down that winter, so I never had a chance to try it.

Good luck, this is a very tough problem.

Would you be able to find out from your vet what that shot was? So far, my vets have only offered desensitization and antihistamine. Your thoughts are the same as mine--this would match with the wet year as well since that increases their breeding.

Thanks for the response.

Roxane

If you find a solution there are many of waiting to hear!!

By the end of this summer I had tried about everything. The shot wasn't much good. Finally put him on the pill steroid and that seemed to give the most relief.

Talked to someone who said vacuuming helped so I've been doing that, and plan to start it in the spring.

At the first sign next spring, IF there is a sign (crossed fingers) I will request the steroid pill. The risk for laminitis is there, but the itch is more to be feared than laminitis.

Desensitization is only as good as the test performed to determine the allergy.

Skin tests are the gold standard. Blood tests are poor at best.

Dr Taylor

I agree with Dr. Taylor. My big horse was tested at CSU with skin testing and then CSU made up the desensitization vials. It was a very thorough and involved process. My horse must have felt like a pin cushion from the shots at times, although he never objected too strongly.

Thanks for the replies. I will ask further regarding skin testing--several of the items shown in the IgE data results didn't make sense to me.

How do you balance the risk of laminitis from steroids versus allergy itch relief?

Roxane

Guess it's been too long a day. I looked at the title and thought "Wow, maybe something that can help!" Except my "horse allergy" problem with my grandkids. Two of them are .....get ready......allergic to horses. Yup, really frustrates and saddens me. One is getting better in that he (at 10) can now go to the shows as long as he doesn't groom etc. The other one can't even go into my barn! For a grandma that "horse crazy" this hurts.

Guess it's been too long a day. I looked at the title and thought "Wow, maybe something that can help!" Except my "horse allergy" problem with my grandkids. Two of them are .....get ready......allergic to horses. Yup, really frustrates and saddens me. One is getting better in that he (at 10) can now go to the shows as long as he doesn't groom etc. The other one can't even go into my barn! For a grandma that "horse crazy" this hurts.
Curly horses are hypo allergenic for some people who are allergic to horses. There is a breeder in Canada who is crossing Minis with Curly horses to make them smaller and still have the curly characteristics. I lost track of her website address or I would share it.

Latest posts

Back