durable mini tack/equipment/blankets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayyadina

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of trouble finding stuff for my minis that fit them and are durable. My 32" mini is like a hyperactive lab puppy....if there's something new, it needs to be explored. She plays hard with my 34" mini and has a tendency to injure herself (usually fairly minor scrapes and cuts). Are fly masks and grazing muzzles safe? Knowing her, she'll find a way to get herself in trouble. However, she's also super sensitive to bug bites. I've been thinking about putting them out on pasture in a couple months. Any suggestions on fly masks or grazing muzzles that would fit? My 32" mini is more refined, with a rather tiny head. Her 34" sister is a bit more chunky.

I also need to get another set of blankets, since they've both managed to shred their Schneiders blankets. My 32" mini is a delicate creature and needs a blanket when its super cold (between 20F and -30F before wind). I usually wind up clipping before they can go naked...only time the 34" mini needs a blanket. Springs are normally pretty variable here (50s-60s during the day, 40s-30s at night). Any suggestions? I would like something with a neck cover, for those super cold days.

Any suggestions on a good place to find halters that would fit? My 32" mini is fine with a web halter or a rope halter. My 34" mini needs a rope halter.

I would like to start them both in real work this year, starting with in hand and lunging. Everywhere I've looked only sells nylon lunge cavessons. I've had issues with synthetics causing rubs/sores in the past, so I really want leather. Anyone know where I could get a leather lunge cavesson, leather surcingle and leather(or nylon) side reins?

Here is a approved page of Miniature Horse and Pony Tack Stores who carry these items CLICK HERE

All are experienced in helping you find what you are looking for. Good luck!

Thanks. It looks like rope halters are going to be the easiest to find. Didn't see any blankets. I saw a nice grazing muzzle, but it wouldn't fit my 32" mini. And nothing at all on the training equipment front.

I think I might have to go the custom route for the lunge cavesson, surcingle and side reins. Any suggestions on who to ask?

minitack.com is a good place to shop. They have a large variety of things. I bought a hoof rasp from them a couple of weeks ago, I received it quickly and there were even two mini tootsie pops in the package ?. The only thing I didn't like was I never got an email when they shipped the package.

starlakefarm.com has a nice selection, too.

You should be able to find things that fit on either of these sites.

As for a leather surcingle and cavesson, I haven't seen any. If there are Amish or tack makers in your area, you could probably take a nylon surcingle and cavesson (or maybe just your horse's measurements) in and ask them to make them in leather for you.

Fly masks and grazing muzzles are safe yes when used carefully. As long as they will come off if caught on something they'll be fine. I would recommend Not to use a grazing muzzle if the pasture is sparse or with a pig in a dry lot.. I have this grazing muzzle and have had it for many years, very durable. The one I have came from Ozark but I don't see this type on their site anymore, I only saw no eat muzzles.

There are many blankets and a huge assortment of leather, nylon, and rope halters to choose from at:

Ozark

MiniExpress

Star Lake

Since 1994 Supreme Equine Design has made some of the best blankets available but they are retiring the end of this year. They are still taking orders if you'd like some information please call them at (512) 632-3301.

Ozark has a leather training surcingle

As far as the leather caveson you can try Lasalle Harness. Many years ago they sold a Miniature Horse size. Anywhere that makes leather tack and takes custom orders can make you one though.

ALSO you may be interested in a halter and lead in one, here is a product I really like: Halter-All

They are quick to grab and use. Very handy to have on hand because you know we don't leave halters on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mini express does have a leather training surcingle rig -

THey seem to also have the largest selection of styles of grazing muzzles. I have never been able to get them to work - but I have wiley ponies that I need to almost choke with straps to keep fly masks on, so...

Mini Horse Feathers also has a leather training surcingle set up and some different styles of the rope halters as well.

If that doesn't work -

Chimicum Tack has leather surcingles made for minis, with leather side reins. So does Herron's Tack out of Iowa. I don't know who does a leather lounging cavesson, though.

You may have to go custom for your rope halters. I don't know. Until Debby posted those links, It's been a few months since I'd been out to a couple of those sites. The rope halters on a couple of them are new. I tie my own or have my farrier do mine... They work for us.

I like Cashell's fly masks. And I have a Tough1 fly sheet that has held up well. Ozark carries the fly mask with ears; I had to sew the ears to make them a little smaller as it was designed for big horse foals. But it fits well. The Kensington ones are good also, but I like the way the Cashell fits over the eyes. If you don't need ear protection, just snip out the ear part. They fit my 32 and 35" horses. I got the fly sheet from Chick's. The other fly sheets I saw were dark colored--too hot for our summers. The Tough1 is white. The mini size doesn't buckle under my 35-36" boy, but he is a little overweight. The mini size comes in different sizes; I got the largest. If I end up ordering one for my larger horse, I will go into the pony sizes.

Latest posts

Back