Miniature horse allergies? Or?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there. I have a miniature horse mare and just this year and the end of 2015 I noticed she was scratching her face and had swollen eyes. I brought her inside and it went away. I put her back outside this week since it was nice and her eyes started getting swollen again and she is itching again. One day her left eye will be swollen and the next day the right eye then the next the left and so on. She seems to have a lot of goobers so I will flush her eyes with water and it helps but is back within a day or so. Is it allergies or conjunctivitis or something else? When she is inside she has Timothy hay and outside she has grass. Could she just be getting an allergy to grass hay now? I'm wondering if the itching on her face is because of shedding season or if it has something to do with her swollen eyes? Please no negativity. I wanted to get opinions before calling my vet.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yes it could be allergies.

Do I have it right? She's fine inside on timothy hay, but has these issues when outside on pasture? If she has these issues when out on pasture, I'd be combing the pasture looking for odd plants that could be the culprit. If it's inside, too, while she's on timothy, I'd look into an allergy to timothy. [i've heard of horses being allergic to timothy.]

Yes, when she is outside is when it flares up. Outside she has grass hay. Inside it goes away and she has timothy.

Luckily one of our fellow boarders is having the vet out for her minis teeth and I will have him look at her!
default_smile.png

I read maybe using saline solution? Would human eye drops be ok even though she has not had a diagnosis yet? I don't want to make it worse. The vet won't be out until April 16th, is there anything I can use to help her until then? Continue flushing with water? Try saline? Try eye drops? Thanks!!

Marsha has a good suggestion with the fly mask. You can buy horse eye drops by farnam called "clear eyes" it's not expensive at all. Vetryicin sells an eye spray for itchy eyes too. They sell otc antihistamine granuels for horses called tri hist or anti hist that may help her.

amysue,

Would there be any reason to not want to use eye drops? As is would it make anything worse or cause something else since she wasn't diagnosed yet?

Would the fly mask be ok to be on all night as well?? I would of course take it off while I am there brushing her and giving her grain.

It could be something in the grass hay. Just calling it grass hay is pretty generic as there are many types of grass cut for hay: timothy, orchardgrass, Bermuda, brome, prairie grass (mix varies regionally) and too many others to name.

I'd probably look for either the Clear Eyes or the Vetricyn eye wash to clean her eyes and not use anything that might be medicated until after the vet sees her.

She was always used to the grass hay, and when I brought her inside, I fed her timothy. When inside it goes away. She doesn't itch and her eyes are not swollen. That is why I am wondering if it is the grass hay. Not sure WHAT kind.

Or it could be a coincidence and just being outside gives her more allergies from dust or the wind, etc. I will have to get some of that eye wash and try that. Would it be ok to leave the fly mask on all night as well incase she itches at night? I can take it off for a little while when I am out there checking her eyes and brushing.

The human eye drops are antihistamine drops. They will not hurt her. As long as you don't use anything with steroid. My horse goes through times when his swell up. I use the drops night and morning when that happens. fly mask day and night is fine. Be sure to take it off at least once a day and check to make sure nothing is under the mask to irritate, like a wisp of hay. If the swelling/watering is going down when you bring her indoors, then likely there is nothing lodged in the eye. If the swelling does NOT go down, do NOT wait until the 16th!

I take a bucket of body-temp plain water and a soft cloth and sponge his eyes when they are watering. I think it helps to clean the corners of the eyes and flush allergens. You could put a little Neosporin on the sore places and that would help. Good luck.

So that you know - I write a lot. This is not meant to upset you but asks a lot of questions. I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong. Your mare looks fantastic! Other than the "raw spots", of course. I'm really curious to know what is going on with your mare. Let us know what the vet finds on his visit on the 16th.

Yes, it could be allergies - to something in the paddock, pasture or floating in the air. It could be something in the hay.

You don't say what state you are in or what the "whole" situation is. Have you owned her long? It sounds like you board her? How long has she been at this barn? Does she get the same hay as the other horses - both when inside and out? When your mare is outside - is she on a dry lot w/ just the grass hay or on a pasture w/ some type of grass/flowers/shrubs or trees? if on pasture, is there clover in it? Is there dew on the grass in the morning? What plants/bushes/trees are pollinating? Has a neighboring farm/ranch been spraying anything? Spray herbicides (weed killer for hay & pastures) and nitrogen (liquid fertilizer) can both cause sensitivities to anyone with contact - human and animal - if blown by the wind into the paddock/pasture she's in OR on to the hay that you are currently feeding. Is your mini the only horse on the property to show this?

I DID have one pony that would get blisters on her muzzle/face on the years that we had cotton planted in the fields around the drive into our leased acreage - when they sprayed the "stuff" that "killed" the plants so they could harvest the cotton. The same spray makes me violently ill, too. I have two ponies (a mini & a 1/2 Arab/Shetland) right now that have "sweet itch" or a sensitivity to the small biting flies - but it looks different than your girls' issue. Unfortunately, I don't have pics because I've avoided taking pic when they've been displaying that . I will have to dig thru some originals that may show the issue if I crop the face/chest.

That "hardening" of the skin and the hairless, raw areas around her muzzle is similar to what I've seen in large horses that have been on frosted or dew laden pastures (with alsike Clover - considered poisonous and causes extreme light sensitivity) and then in the sun - in the spring and in the fall. The light colored horses will actually blister and burn and then slough off the skin after that funny looking "hardening"...

Are there trees & bushes right now that are blooming or pollinating? I have 4 out of 27 horses & ponies that have sensitivities to the pollen "floating" around. One of those - her eyes will swell up and look like the eyeball is ready to burst right out of the socket. Later in the year, I will have others... But they don't have the raw spots around their eyes - even with the extra drainage and "boogers", nor do they have the skin issues around their muzzles. They do have to wear fly masks - usually 24/7 and I take them off while they eat their feed and if necessary wash/rinse the area around their eyes and flush the eye with any of a variety of things depending on the situation. I also will hose off the fly masks and every so often they come in and go in the washer. Saline solution, cold running water from the hose or warm water from the house applied with a washcloth are my main treatments. A fly mask will not protect the area around your girls' mouth/muzzle.

Equine eye ointments and equine eye drops that I'm finding on line are by prescription - meaning that the vet would have to examine her eyes first and prescribe them. I've not tried Vetricin Eye Wash (not a prescription) - and the last time I checked a bottle there wasn't an ingredient list on it, so can't say anything for or against it. I favor plain saline solution until a vet checks my horse's eyes and your mare is having an issue with more than her eyes. The main ingredient in Clear Eyes? Sterilized water! Could purchase a gallon for a lot less (if you are on a budget)...

I know that there are sooo many eye drops for humans now, that it's unbelievable. But if most of them irritate my eyes, they may cause undue irritation to the horse as well. Some of the eye drops I was studying last week at the pharmacy (CVS) did not have antihistamines, but I wasn't familiar with the other ingredients. I also find that neither me nor most of our horses do well with all the preservatives in a lot of the eye products now. Horse products are different than a lot of the OTC eye products for people. I'd still have to check with the vet to find out which kind would be best to use for my horse... I've got vets that will tell me an equivalent OTC product to use for different issues - and some will REALLY do that if it means I spend more on a regular basis with them for other procedures, more often...

No problem with the long post!!

I have owned her for 10 years. She is almost 12. Out of 10 years this is the first time she has ever had this. She has been at this barn for 2 years and yes we board. We also own 2 quarter horses with no issue. Inside she has her own stall with grain and Timothy hay. Inside the barn she does not itch and her eyes are not swollen. Outside she is with 3 other minis and a mini donkey. I bring her in for grain but outside she gets regular grass hay with the other minis. It is a dry lot with just a lean to for shade and to get out of the rain. None of the other minis have this. The barn owners do not spray anything and I do not see anything "new" around. No trees or bushes or shrubs in their paddock. We have a boarder leaving the same weekend the vet is coming out and until then, I have to leave her in the paddock she is in. When the boarder leaves I am going to put her in the round pen that is currently unavailable like I said. I will be able to see if anything changes. In the round pen she will be able to get Timothy hay and no wood to scratch her face on. Until the vet comes the 16th I just wanted to know what I could do to help her. Whether rinse with water or use an eye drop solution. I will have to try the fly mask thing.

Gee this is a tricky one ............. So she has no grass in her paddock at all ? Are you moving into spring weather at the moment ? Reason I say this is , come the better weather usually brings the insects and bugs.

Have you noticed at all if there are any bugs or insects hanging around her hay and grain whilst she is eating ? I notice here in Australia , that during the spring and summer months hay here will attract European wasps and bees and other insects/bugs. For that reason I feed in the shade. If there are pastures in surrounding properties then I think there is a fair chance that insects/bugs could be the problem. Its actually the saliva within the bite that causes the horse to itch. The sweet smell from the hay and grain will bring them in from miles away.

Keep us posted and hopefully your vet can give you ( and us ) some answers
default_smile.png

No grass at all, and yes we are coming into spring!
default_smile.png

Just the usual flies which we never had an issue like this before from them.

Hmmmm.... Ryan is right, this one is a "stumper"...

I'm also leaning towards bugs. A bit or two that made her itch and rub on the board fencing? Then reacting to the board fencing (sap, products used for drying)? I'm not sure at this point... I forgot to ask - Is the weather really different there right now than it's been in the past? I know that ours is... and our horses are taking much longer to shed out on their own - even with grooming/worming.

Or, at 12 yrs of age she could be developing some allergies (unknown) to the "same 'ole" things she's always been exposed to. I have seen horses start a sensitivity after several years in one area and then each year after, it gets worse.

You aren't seeing any thing (missing hair, rubbing, sores) anywhere else on her body?

Well, I'm done with guessing until your vet has a chance to take a look. Personally, I would only use water or saline solution to rinse out her eye(s) until you know what's going on. Maybe a topical ointment for the raw areas around the eye and on her muzzle/jaw.

You can also look into the natural essential oils for treating her skin issues. Tea tree oil (melaleuca) is good along with a mix of different oils for antibacterial or fungal. You would want to contact someone who is already working with equine with the oils once your vet has a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 19 year old gelding has developed more sensitivities in the last couple of years. We have had some extreme weather years--record drought then record rain. Possibly this could have something to do with it.

Definitely do the fly mask. The Cashell one has more UV protection, which could be part of her problem.

Hey everyone!

It must be from this odd weather this past year. Usually our winters are very cold. This winter has mostly been warmer (doesn't get below 30 degrees) and warm during the day. It has been more of a drier winter as well.

Since I shaved my mini's neck I have noticed it has not been flaring up. I also got some saline solution to cleanse her eyes out.

Only two more days until the vet comes out!

Hi there! Sorry for posting a late reply!

Her eyes being swollen and watery is because she needs her tear ducts flushed which the vet is going to do when he comes to do her teeth.

The skin issue is a fungal infection which is common with the kind of weather we have had lately. And since she already itches for shedding it makes it worse. But since shaving her she has gotten a lot better. What I need to do is use Novasan scrub on the infected areas and scrub gently then let sit and then rinse it off. Do that every day and it should be gone within a week!

Well then, I'm very glad that you waited for the vet! Because not one of us thought of "blocked tear ducts" (& I personally have been treated for those - who'd a thunk??). And some of our suggestions were quite wrong.

Good for you and glad that she's on the mend. Out of curiosity, what do they have to do to clear the tear ducts? It was amazingly simple for me and wasn't painful at all - but was also amazingly expensive! Huh, that gives me something else to check when some of ours get "watery eyes" - in all the years I've worked with vets, this has never come up before. Will your vet show you how to do it in case you have to do it again later or is that something would need to always be done by the vet?

Just let us know how it goes after the vet does her teeth and clears the blocked tear ducts and thank you for letting us know this.

I didn't quite get a huge explanation about it but I do know that they go through the nose and squirt stuff out the tear ducts and sometimes the stuff that comes out can be quite gross! I would assume it is something a vet needs to do but not sure! Her eyes have stopped being watery so she doesn't need it now but I think I will still do it just to get it done!

She is all better now thanks to using Novasan to clean her face and neck!

Latest posts

Back