HORRIBLE ICE STORM IN OKLAHOMA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!! I knew it was bad here in Oklahoma, but I had no idea how bad it was for some of you. I am located near Norman, Okla. and we missed the worst of it. (Even though as I sit here my car is in a ditch about a mile from the house. <LOL> Don't guess I am going to go out today after all.)

My heart goes out to those of you in that Chickasha/Lawon/WichitaFalls area. What a mess! Hang in there. Thank goodness here in Oklahoma this stuff never lasts too long.

On a lighter note My sister sent me the new version of our State Song:

[SIZE=12pt]Oklahoma[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] is changing the words to the State Song. It now goes like this: [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SNOW…….klahoma [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Where the cold front's sweepin' down the plain [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]And the piles of sleet, beneath your feet [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Follow right behind the freezing rain. [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SNOW…….klahoma [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Travel home from work and hope some jerk [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Doesn’t wreck our car in passing by! [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]We know we belong to the land [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]But it could use some more salt and more sand [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]That’s why we say…..WHOA! [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]We’re sliding the other way…….YIKES! [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]We’re only sayin’ [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]You’re slick as snot SNOWklahoma [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SNOWklahoma [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SNOW-K-L-A-H-O-M-A [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SNOWklahoma, SNOW-K![/SIZE]

Just got word that they have now pushed it back to 5 weeks from now before we can expect power. The entire county (Jackson County) is without power. Been out for 5 days now. Over 2000 poles down with my power cooperative alone. They say that the reason it is taking so long to fix is because before it started to ice over we had around 4" of rain as well. It is so muddy and boggy that the power company trucks cannot work on the lines. They are having to have loaders to pull the trucks out and move them to the next pole location. Not to mention trying to drill new holes for the poles in this mud.

But the good news is that it is finally above freezing and the ice is starting to fall off of everything. YAY!!!!

Just tried to call Robin(REO), no answer. She must be having a God Awful time.
default_no.gif

God Bless you all there. I am thinking about you and praying that things improve quickly!

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shocked to hear how bad it is for some of you. As bad as I thought it was here a couple years ago, it was nothing compared what you've got going on. Stay safe, stay warm and keep your heads up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having survived 5 days of no power.......no heat, no light, no water.....iced in and totally cut off except for telephone...in '07, I can't even imagine 5 WEEKS of no power. I'm going to be praying that the weather improves and and the power is back on in way less time than that.

Charlotte

Anyone without power has my sympathy.About 16 years ago we had a bad ice storm here in the east and we were without power for 3 days.Fortunately 1 neighbor had power and we had drawn lots of water and filled everyting in the barn so we had enough to water horses.My barn loft is always full of hay so we had plenty of animal food.We had generators, but the doors where it was stored were frozen shut.The storm came up quickly overnight so no one was expecting it.It was so bad it looked like my town had been bombed and it was closed to all except emergency crews.Karl talked to power crews and they had 28 miles of poles down along 1 line.Hoping all can get generators so animals can be watered.I am keeping all in my prayers.

Sending prayers to all. How awful. We were out of power two weeks from an ice storm when I was a kid and that was awful, I'll never forget it. Stay safe and warm.

OMG Julie! If I can do anything to help, you are welcome to bring the horses here..tell Robin the same. I know if this has you in tears..Robin is probably ready to be committed. I am serious, let me know what I can do. Robin and Karel cannot stay in that house without heat. I am totally freaking out thinking about that. And you having to stay with that many people in one house, and with the youngens.

We learned our lesson about 7 years ago, I think it was worse then..the ground was also covered in ice. This time it is snow on the ground. At least then we had a wood stove, we could cook on and melt ice cycles for water for horses and toilets. Have since had propane heat installed..kind of messed the old wood stove this time. Cannot cook on the propane fireplace...put at least didn't have the fire going out. We also invested in a generator, had it all these years..thought it was keeping the ice away..did for a while.

Our power came back on yesterday afternoon, had been off since Thursday. We have rural water but the pump station keep losing power, so I had jugs of water everywhere. Then today the lights keep dimming until they where gone again, no power. Went to town and they where struggling to keep the power on too. I was in the grocery store and the lights would start flashing and everybody would gasp and hold their breath....like we where being bombed.

Power is back on again tonight, I feel guilty sitting here in the heat..thinking about Robin..cause I know no way she is leaving her horses.

Please let me know if I can help..we can make some temporary corrals and put them up here..what ever you guys need please just ask. ((((HUGS))))

Well thank God it looks like the temps are going to be 40-50 today in most of OK, praying for no rain too.

Robin and Theresa you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hoping they get the lineman from across the country down there to get those poles back up and power back on in record time.

Thinking of you!

Robin honey I know you can't even get on to read this. But OMG I am so sorry. I wish we were closer to at least haul water there. And heat. We are all waiting to have you be able to get one here again.

I must put a word in here for the utility companies. PSO has 90 crews in our area. They set up a portable catering center for them in a parking lot. Those crews are working in terrible conditions. A neighbor owns a bull dozer and he is hired to drag the trucks from pole to pole. The sight of the linemen working in the dark, lights on their helmets in the ice fog, gives you goose bumps. My son is working with the crews and he's been out on 12 + hour days since last Thursday. The rural cooperatives are working just as hard. Poles are coming in by the semi load.

People with a generator please be careful that it is hooked up correctly. when the power comes back on it could reverse through the line and kill a lineman. Also, we know people who hooked them up wrong and fried all the major electronics in their homes. My husband will have to check me out on ours before he goes back to work. I've learned how to turn it off, but I have to learn how to start it up.

Morning everyone! I haven't been able to get ahold of Robin for 2 days so we have a friend of a friend going to check on her.

Morning everyone! I haven't been able to get ahold of Robin for 2 days so we have a friend of a friend going to check on her.
Hi Julie,

I wish I am NOT TOO FAR from you all!..

I would love to help you all.
default_smile.png

We will keep you all in our prayer and hopefully the weather will stay CLEAR for few weeks!

Keep us update and Robin too!

((HUGS))

Robin is okay. She is cold and her morale is VERY low. But okay. Said that the horses are not drinking a whole lot so as of right now they have plenty of water.

I wish that I could go help her. Or have her here, but I know that she could never leave her babies. There is not much that I could do, except for helping them start to clear limbs. My hubby is starting to do that here today.

Sorry to be late to check in but everyone here in Norman is OK. Have talked to Pat and Leesa and we were lucky that we did not loose electricity this time. Back in 07 we were without power for 2 weeks. Had 1/2 to 3/4" of ice that coated everything and then sleet on top of that then it snowed all day Saturday and I had over 7" in the pasture. First time I've made snow ice cream in a long time--was kind of fun and brought back lots of memories.

One thing I did not do was cover the no-freeze hydrants with buckets to keep the handles from freezing solid--finally thawed enough Sunday to allow them to operate again but had made plans and had lots of water buckets in the bath tubs in the house and everythng that could hold water filled in the barns and covered to help keep them from freezing. The truck was covered in ice and then snow packed and was finally able to uncover it yesterday morning and get the doors open and started.

Was able to get to work by 2:00 yesterday afternoon and made it in this morning without any problems. Pat and Leesa ventured out to pick up round bales and managed to get back to their houses but when they tried to get out the second time to pick up anouther couple of round bales, Pat got stuck going out her pasture gate--neighbor came over with the tractor and pulled her out but then she could not get up the hill from her house to get over to Leesa's.

I love winter if I did not have to get out and take care of the horses--just go out and play for a while and then go in. We dodged a bullet here with the ice on the lines and did not loose power but OEC (Oklahoma Electric Co-Op) has done a wonderful job of tree triming since 2007. I was worried Friday night as the winds really did whip up and you could even here it howl through my north facing front door.

Was worried about Hannah the donkey and one of the mares as they had heavy ice on their ear tips but managed to break it up into small pieces and see that it was on the long hair and not the ear itself.

So understand what Reo, Rocking R, C3, JHK (John Herring) are going through without power, but know that the Co-Ops and others are doing the best and fastest to get everyone back up and running. They have brought crews in from all over neighboring states and had them pre-positioned before the storm even it.

I know that the entire cities of Chickasha, Marlow, parts of Lawton and other towns are complete blacked out.

Supposed to be in the 40s the rest of the week with rain coming in on Thursday. Evening are still droping below freezing so everything that thaws re-freezes.

Robin, I know you are worried about the horses but please stay safe, Rocking R the same for you--you both must take care of yourselves first so you can take care of the animals. Just heard a loud thud here and I work in the basement--It was a sheet of ice/snow coming off the roof of the building--sounded like a small cannon going off.

Take care and everyone be safe.

Davie

I will never complain about doing the chores in the cold again.
default_no.gif
I can't believe what our OK members are going through, and I just hope the warm weather that's on its way is enough to keep them and their horses comfortable until they get their power back. My heart and prayers go out to you guys!
default_pray.gif

I hope Robin and all the folks in OK are doing better this morning. To be without power for that long is miserable!! Sounds like her place is a mess with all the downed trees. Just glad to hear the horses are okay! Praying everyone else in the area is doing okay.
default_pray.gif
:pray

I must put a word in here for the utility companies. PSO has 90 crews in our area. They set up a portable catering center for them in a parking lot. Those crews are working in terrible conditions. A neighbor owns a bull dozer and he is hired to drag the trucks from pole to pole. The sight of the linemen working in the dark, lights on their helmets in the ice fog, gives you goose bumps. My son is working with the crews and he's been out on 12 + hour days since last Thursday. The rural cooperatives are working just as hard. Poles are coming in by the semi load. People with a generator please be careful that it is hooked up correctly. when the power comes back on it could reverse through the line and kill a lineman. Also, we know people who hooked them up wrong and fried all the major electronics in their homes. My husband will have to check me out on ours before he goes back to work. I've learned how to turn it off, but I have to learn how to start it up.
Just last week was a post complaining about tree services and butchering trees. Hubby used to do this for a living for 15 yrs. It is stuff like this that happens that makes you thankful those linemen are out their doing this dangerous job
default_saludando.gif

Have been though 3 major Ice storms myself over the years, so I know how hard it is. My heart goes out to everyone that is going through this one and that everyone stays safe!!

OMG!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I can't imagine either what folks are going through. It is bad enough to deal with the cold outside, let alone when you cant even come in to warm up!! I sure hope everyone will be ok and all the critters too!!! This is awful! Sending prayers to you all! That is pretty bad when it is warmer in the frig than in the house!!!
default_wacko.png

I hope they get things up and running before they think they will. Too bad crews from out of state or other areas are not coming in to help. Even if a person donated one day to go help it would move things along!! Those poor crews are gonna be exhausted too. Can't imagine outside battling that stuff all day!

Latest posts

Back