Hopefully my mare is close so anxious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we have ourselves a race now with her and Painted Lady
default_wink.png
we should tell them, maybe the competition will speed them up?

well went took kids to school and shop came back and alarm was going this is the first time she has set it off and she is in house yard. I noticed she doing the cow pattie poos again and her udder is bigger I have added a pic.looks to me on next to right teat is a lump hope nothing serious. P821aug.jpg

Hmmm now that I have not seen before, I too hope it is nothing serious and that it will not keep foal from being able to properly latch onto that teat.

wow udder is looking great! won't be long long! (I'm no expert... and the others will be ale to confirm or disagree with this) but I'm wondering if the lumps on her udder could be the starting of her teats filling up? the others will confirm for us... but thats what I'm thinking it is... when I go home for lunch I'll try to find a pic of my girl just before she had Finn, might give you a good idea
default_smile.png

good luck, I'm glad that you were able to hear the alarm working! thats great! I think your going to get a new foal very sooN!

You are right Cassie - most mares get what looks like extra 'lumps' at the top of their teats as the milk supply starts to fill the teats themselves, so I would think this is what is happening here. It usually happens within days of foaling!!

This is the stage I have a love/hate relationship with
default_new_rofl.gif
I love watching the changes... but I so wish they would hurry up!
default_new_rofl.gif

Hi thought I would add pic of her udder today it looks as though her teats are separated more and there lump near both teats so maybe milk filling. She set alarm off agin last night I ran out excited but another false alarm...So still playing waiting game...P823aug.jpg

Are you able to get a shot from behind her to see how the udder looks at that angle? At a guess I'd say she'll put more in it but they can fill so differently that it's ahrd to tell how long she'll take to do that.

I still think it's a race between her, Robin and Painted Lady
default_wink.png
Come on girls!

Just tried to wash udder and it made a dangerous adventure so we did our best and she not liking getting touched in that area at all for a girl who doesnt normally kick she tried her best and got my hubby luckily he jumped back and only got the end of it. So we have decided to not touch there again. No chance of getting any drops ever for ph test.... Can't get a pic of udder from behind either maybe when I follow her for a while and catch a pic when she doing her business.

I took a few pics this morning not the best. There is one of udder from behind was best I could get. One from underneath and one of her side on. My hubby said when he tried to wash udder yesterday he tried squeeze for some milk but didnt get any but was a fight going on she does not want to be touched there so dont know if he did it properly or what. P824behind.jpgP824aug.jpgP8224august.jpg

She's getting there
default_thumbup.gif

I'd guess that those teats need to seperate a little more and I think you might see a bit more sag in that belly, but really these are small things now that could change quickly or slowly.

I'd also stop fussing with her udder, no point getting her riled up and establishing that as not a nice place to be. Painted Lady went from not wanting me touching it at all to letting me have a good feel but that was over 2 weeks of very slow work and lots of bribes with food and scratches. But I'll be rebreeding her so I want the next pregnancy to be easier on us both so establishing udder skills is a must. The other problem with getting into a fight over the udder is you don't want to stress them but you can't let them drive you off, it just makes it harder in the future.

It's quite a vulnrable spot so we can't blame them for being touchy about it... it's just so much easier when they aren't!

She's getting there
default_thumbup.gif

I'd guess that those teats need to seperate a little more and I think you might see a bit more sag in that belly, but really these are small things now that could change quickly or slowly.

I'd also stop fussing with her udder, no point getting her riled up and establishing that as not a nice place to be. Painted Lady went from not wanting me touching it at all to letting me have a good feel but that was over 2 weeks of very slow work and lots of bribes with food and scratches. But I'll be rebreeding her so I want the next pregnancy to be easier on us both so establishing udder skills is a must. The other problem with getting into a fight over the udder is you don't want to stress them but you can't let them drive you off, it just makes it harder in the future.

It's quite a vulnrable spot so we can't blame them for being touchy about it... it's just so much easier when they aren't!
Wish I could send her somewhere until she has foal as this is driving me bats this waiting I am sure the same with you waiting on your mares......

Welcome to the "so close but not quite there" insanity!
default_new_rofl.gif
Don't worry you're not alone
default_wink.png

I agree with Bree, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get milk from her. All my girls are good about me having a gentle feel of their udders, but I dont think any of them would want me to be squeezing, squashing or pulling on their teats looking for any milk! She has a good bag there so she will have milk when the time comes, so best not to upset her at this stage by doing something that she clearly dislikes! A gentle feel will tell you how the udder is changing - most mares udders are more firm after standing in at nights and softer after 'exercising' by walking around during the day, when the udder feels just as firm after time outside as it does after standing in, then you are getting really close to foaling. So just a gentle feel will be enough for you to get this indication.
default_yes.gif

I agree, I wouldn't worry about not being able to get milk. I started out testing milk to get an indication of how close our three mares were to foaling, and then as they got closer I gave up! I realized that things can either change very quickly - or not - and at this point you need to watch the mare VERY closely, no matter what the udder or pH says! We have all been there, so know what you are going through. Each day seems like forever in those last few days before foaling!!! Hoping for an uneventful delivery SOON.

Hi all just wanted to say how great you guys have all been and I am glad I found this forum..... Great advice of everyone who has posted on my topic aswell as others that I have been reading. Hopefully I know enough for when this foal is coming... thanks again and hoping it wont be too long until I have some pics of a nice little healthy foal and mum.

Latest posts

Back