Hopefully my mare is close so anxious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE Hi all well we are still waiting for the foal to arrive. I have added a couple of pics I took today. Is it normal for there to be a bald line from belly towards udder?, it can be seen in the pic of vulva. Don't know how much further we got but hopefully all runs well. Apparently she doesnt produce much of a bag so previous breeder/owner told me so I have no clue as to when she will foal.july21.jpgjuly21.jpgjuly21.jpgjuly21.jpg

with this last pic you can clearly see how her hips have sunken in.

Let me know what you think....Ta I am so anxious it driving me bats.....

Great to have your update! She certainly looks closer, but not quite 'there' yet. How's her foot doing, she looks as though she's standing quite happily in your pics.

If you cant rely on her getting much of an udder, then perhaps keep an eye out for any colour changes just inside her vulva?

Please keep us updated on her progress - dont think it will be long before you have a new little one to delight over.
default_yes.gif

Hi her foot is still clicking although it not bothering her at all so will just have to hope all gets well when she loses the weight. Have been told that it is quite normal for this to happen due to ligament and tendons relaxing for birthing.

It has been very wet muddy and cold here, she has been rolling in mud as you can see I know longer have my beautiful perfect white girl lol.... Give her a brush and she hates it well she hates most things at the moment so will have to wait until she more relaxed....

Last edited by a moderator:
july27.jpgP7296906.jpgP7july27.jpg

These pics are from 27th July her flanks filling and she likes being alone more. Foal movements are not as big. I have locked her up in barn so she away from gelding as i worried he could hurt foal if born...Let me know what you think..Also there no hair around udder like was a month or two ago. Apparently she doesnt develop much of a bag and from my dates it anytime now but just dont know exact...pic below of her mid junemidjune.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She certainly is developing. I think you have awhile to go as she is still holding that foal high and the udder looks like it is 'thinking' of filling.

How much space does she have in the barn and is she still getting turnout? I've found it best to keep their routines as normal as possible and they need the time to move about... especially once they hit the last stage and start positioning that foal
default_smile.png

ok well maybe i should let her back out for a while... I did work out though that end august is latest she would foal as she was not on heat again september last year and the stallion was with another mare and didnt bother her at all again except sniffing and tasting her urine. her barn is about 4m across and about 8m long but I will let her out...thanks again

Sounds about the right kind of time frame, she's tracking along like my guys who have August/September dates.

Thanks for the update! Looks like she is moving along nicely - even if she doesn't develop much of a bag before she foals, i would think she will fill a bit more than she has there at the moment, also her tummy needs to drop more as the foal moves into position.

And yes, it is vitally important that a mare gets plenty of exercise (and her grass) at this stage, but you do need to keep your gelding separate from now on. Can you not put him in the barn by day to give her your paddock, and reverse the process for the nights? You will also have to find a space for him elsewhere once she foals for safety's sake.

Really looking forward to seeing what she's hiding in there!
default_yes.gif

Thanks to all and AnnaC, Thank you I will move gelding to another paddock I just didnt want to upset them as they are close but it is for the best too now. Can I ask how long after foal born can I put the three together? I am so eager to see the finally feels such a long pregnancy but bet feels longer for her.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks

Putting her and the foal back with your boy will depend upon Mercedes herself. She will certainly want two or three weeks to settle with her baby and to become relaxed. The easiest way to do things is to keep the pair of them in paddocks next to each other - you have time to make sure the dividing fence is really safe (be sure that the foal cannot get through any 'gaps' or roll underneath!!) - then when you are sure that the two 'adults' are well settled and that your boy is ignoring the foal, you can try them in together, keeping Mercedes on a halter and lead until the foal has fully met up with his new friend and been ignored. If all goes well, then Mercedes can be let loose and you will have your little family bak together again!!

your mare is looking good
default_smile.png
as the girls have said I would think august baby,
default_smile.png
which is good
default_smile.png
the longer she keeps that baby in there the warmer it will be
default_smile.png
do you have a little rug for the new born foal? I think you will need it lol brr.

I get dog coats for mine, those little weather beeta fleece ones... they fit perfectly
default_smile.png

Any more changes to report?
Not much in way of changes although I have been living the gelding with her during the day and he is scratching her backside a lot which happens normally but it now a lot of times, don't know if that means anything. When I separate them in late afternoon she carries on yelling and pacing even though they are near eachother it quite sad which is why I gave in and let them be together during the day.

Mine are all scratching but then they've all started shedding on our side of the world.

Is there anyway you can turn them out next to each other but not with each other?

It's fine for them to be together during the day as long as you are watching for any signs that she might be going to foal. Once she has foaled she wont be stressing about where he is I'm sure! But we dont need her getting over stressed on the run up to foaling. As Bree said, can you possibly keep them next to each other? Does she stress at night when you put her in the barn?

It's fine for them to be together during the day as long as you are watching for any signs that she might be going to foal. Once she has foaled she wont be stressing about where he is I'm sure! But we dont need her getting over stressed on the run up to foaling. As Bree said, can you possibly keep them next to each other? Does she stress at night when you put her in the barn?
They do go next to eachother in late afternoon and still that not good enough for her she carries on but what can I do? When I open gate in morning they go straight to eachother for a scratch. She has lost all winter coat around her backside but reckon thats from him scratching her there.

they do go next to eachother at night they can see and touch over fence and gate but she still gets upset. It getting more difficult in getting her in that paddock on her own in the afternoon as she knows now.

If the birth isn't just around the corner I'd be tempted to leave them be and let her suck it up. Maybe put some hay down on the fencline and enocurage her to relax, it's easier and safer to push the issue now rather then later on. Maybe move the gelding rather then her?

My stallion wants to be in with his girls but he has settled for being over the fence where he can touch them and see them but won't be in the way for foaling.

Ok well I took some more pics of mercedes today. Foal still moving about I can see. Anyway let me know what you think.7thaug.jpg7aug.jpgP8077aug.jpgP807707aug.jpg

P87aug.jpg

Latest posts

Back