hooky necks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well carol thanks to you i will be singing the N E S T L E S song ALL NIGHT LMBO

okay sister pass the chocolate *grins*

okay ill shut up now.

This thread is so great! I think there's at least a dozen of my dream horses pictured here...
default_smile.png

default_please.gif
: :eek:fftopic: hooky necks, any awesome ones out there?

I was enjoying the pictures :aktion033:

What kind of bothers me about this whole thing, is, a lot of folks can add their two cents worth, but if any one offers that person two cents, it's thrown to the street. When something is said to them or directed to them,,,,,,they do not exactly remember the things they are saying here,,,,,,about being defensive. Please don't assume it's you, no real one in particular, honestly.

Anyway, I have enjoyed all the pictures!

Just wanted to add, a hooky neck does not make a show horse,,,,,,,,,don't want a newer person to think that,,,,,,,,and a show horse need a hooky neck not!

I have a National Top Five mare,,,,,,,,,National All Star winner in a number of classes,,,,,,,and she does not have a hooky neck.

I just wanted to point out that to win in the show ring, you don't have to have that.
default_smile.png

[SIZE=14pt]I agree with you Carolyn 100%. This is a mare that was second at eastern regionals, then 3rd in futurity and 5th in open as a two year old at Nationals. She does NOT have a hooky neck.[/SIZE]

f2e5d7ac.jpg

The stallion Steel in my earlier post was national top ten as a yearling and then didnt go back to nationals.

He DOES have the hook.

f86df425.jpg

Lyn

Sillouette had a long beautiful neck but it was not hooky.

f2d6726d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the reasons I posted this thread was to see what bloodlines produce "hooky" necks. I have always liked the Red Boy and BOB horses for what I consider to be "hooky", but don't see many horses -and very few mares- that carry an arch when not being stretched or shown. Any other prepotent bloodlines out there?

I remember someone saying that Miss Kentucky has one of these necks that is always carried with an arch. I have not seen her in person, but would love to see horses with this trait.

I'm sure that the phrases "hooky" and "archy" necks are often used interchangeably. In fact, I'd love to see pictures showing them both since I'm not clear on the difference. Does anyone have examples? Also, if someone doesn't agree with you then I encourage them to post pictures expressing their OPINION.

This is Sophie,,,,has a nice length of neck, uses what she has well.

But no matter how you show her, how you bait her,,,,,unless she hangs her head over a fence to get grass,,,,,,,,there no hook there.

Dsc05210.jpg

So example of NOT having one.

Thank you KayKay, you exactly sorted out what was bothering me. Sometimes you just want to enjoy something without analyzing it, you know? ::shrugs:: That's why critiques are saved for the critique threads. In this case however I can certainly see bringing up the definition as we were seeing a lot of different examples of what people considered hooky. And I want to add that I'm sorry any of you are getting harassed behind the scenes. No matter what that's not right! :no:

Now THAT was :eek:fftopic: :lol:

So getting back on track, there have been some good posts on the last couple of pages showing labeled hooky and not hooky necks. And I think you're right, there's a difference between hooky and archy. I believe my two geldings are more archy (and definitely long!) than hooky to tell the truth. They each have a hook but not a lot of one, just enough to show up and look pretty when they get excited about something. One very good reason to have a hooky neck is that it makes it easy for the horse to comfortably collect and stay on the bit without feeling like they're choking or having to massively muscle up their topline in order to hold the pose.
default_yes.gif
: Now THAT'S form to function!

Leia

Well....IMHO, I have noticed that some of the people who have been the most "vocal" on this thread about other's horses not having hooky necks, & people not knowing what "hooky" is....have posted pictures of their OWN "hooky-necked" horses, to show what "Hooky" should look like. There ARE some that are very nice, but others that aren't any different from some of the ones they are saying don't qualify.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I guess "Hooky" is in the eye of the beholder! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
"I remember someone saying that Miss Kentucky has one of these necks that is always carried with an arch. I have not seen her in person, but would love to see horses with this trait. "

I had the PLEASURE of seeing Miss Kentucky in Kentucky this summer.

She does have the hooky thing going on, even just hangin' out. AMAZING

She litterally gives me goose bumps just LQQking at her.

Seeing Mike H show her is a moving experience!!!

Sandy

Dona, I noticed the same thing as you :lol:

[SIZE=14pt] WOW I am a little scared to post on this one... I will put this is MY OPINION on it I guess![/SIZE]

I think that Falcon has a nice shape and arch to his neck. He uses it when he wants. But it is shaped up and out. He has been producing nice necks on his foals. I really don't sweat it, and I know you can tell. But he is what he is and that is why he is producing true.

There is a not very good view of his neck in my avatar.

Latest posts

Back