Pulse visible in mini mare's neck.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoahG

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
This may have beem there before but for some reason while I was giving Aggie her nebulizer her neck caught my eye. A visible pulse is running up her neck on the left side. While also visible on the right side it's a tad more prominent on the left. I'm an EMT but don't know horse blood vessels but I'm gonna guess this is her carotid artery. Is a visible pulse normal? I'll try to atach

Attachments

• 20221107_121813.mp4
    9.7 MB
I think it's normal to be able to see this pulse at times. You might see it more if they are warm, which they could be at this time of year with a winter coat and the weather not super cold yet. It might also be more noticeable with the long hair sticking out, you'd see the movement more easily, perhaps? I would see it often on my big horses.

Absolutely normal!!
I love pointing this out when I'm teaching my equine first-aid courses. If you can't feel the zillion pulse points on a horse, you can always watch it if they have a short enough coat. Isn't it cool?!???

I have a pony with really bad asthma he’s on hydroxyzine powder daily just a tiny 5cc scoop in a little grain once daily and he’s completely symptom free no nebulizer ever. I highly recommend as this pony if even one day is missed will be symptomatic and as for the pulse and me being asthmatic myself I’d say it’s the faster and stronger respiration you get after a nebulizer treatment, that really gets your heart pumping

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back