Any hay savvy people?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHollowFarm

Reaction score
I was gifted some straw to use as bedding that includes sorghum among others. It's nice, clean bedding however I noticed a lot of these seed heads and I am not able to ID them. The mare I planned to use the bedding for is 331 days into gestation and could foal at anytime so I'm concerned it could be fescue and I don't want her eating it if it is.
If anyone could identify these seed heads so I know if it's safe to bed her stall with I'd be extremely grateful!

Attachments

• PXL_20240312_213707380.jpg
    PXL_20240312_213707380.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240312_213241063.jpg
    PXL_20240312_213241063.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240312_213232932.jpg
    PXL_20240312_213232932.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240312_213559797.jpg
    PXL_20240312_213559797.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240312_213153543.jpg
    PXL_20240312_213153543.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Orchard grass? Not tall fescue, that is finer and longer off the stem. Though I thought if it's straw it shouldn't have seed heads, that looks like she is going to eat it. And it might not be good for her. When in doubt I bed her down in her hay. It's a waste of good hay, but if she eats it, it won't hurt her, in her last trimester she probably can't overeat hay (unless she is one that you have to watch her weigh in which case you don't want to use that straw either) and it saves a lot of worry.

Orchard grass? Not tall fescue, that is finer and longer off the stem. Though I thought if it's straw it shouldn't have seed heads, that looks like she is going to eat it. And it might not be good for her. When in doubt I bed her down in her hay. It's a waste of good hay, but if she eats it, it won't hurt her, in her last trimester she probably can't overeat hay (unless she is one that you have to watch her weigh in which case you don't want to use that straw either) and it saves a lot of worry.
It's supposedly a sorghum and grass mix that was baled up, my friend bought it for her cattle to see if they'd eat it, but this bale broke open so she offered it to me as bedding as she knew I was low on straw. I went over and filled several contractor bags and went to spread some today and noticed the seed heads. I figured she would probably pick through it, I just want to make sure it isn't something that's going to cause issues with her lactating, or anything. I'll take a photo of the stems/leaves tomorrow as well. I just remember being told once that the seed heads are how types were identified. 🙂

I do also typically toss whatever hay she had picked through but not eaten to the back of her stall to use as bedding, I was just wanting some clean straw for when she's foaling, and a few days after until I can use shavings.

Yes, you can tell from the seed heads. They look like the orchard grass heads we have here, but you probably have grasses we don't so it could be the same or something I've never seen before. I looked up sorghum heads and it's not that, but it says sorghum isn't safe for horses.

Fescue is a lawn grass. So that what you'd be looking for if you're concerned for that.
I'm in Canada and it doesn't resemble any of our cereal crops up here... sorry I'm not helpful either.

Latest posts

Back