Hitching

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseMom

Reaction score
My stallion and I are doing well in our driving training with only one problem, it takes me forever to get him hitched. It feels like it takes me half an hour just to get him hitched and by that time he's annoyed about having to stand that long. Any advice on how I can speed up this process? The lady that is teaching me how to drive has all these cool clips and such that help her speed hitching, but she drives biggies. Do they come in mini sizes?

I am the same way. Hitching takes me so long, and I am afraid of doing it wrong. I seem to have trouble remembering that breeching strap goes under trace...... so I keep thinking "B (breeching) U (under) T (trace) "BUT"

What clips, and what are they for? I only have a EZ entry cart. Any advice is appreciated! I am so new at this and so is my stallion. He is doing great! and has lovely movement.

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about any clips, but if you are just going out for a pleasure drive and not planning to do obstacle manuevering, perhaps you could leave off the breeching and save a little time.

But it won't hurt him to learn to stand a while for hitching. You might even pull up a chair and sit down between straps, just to help him relax during the process and give yourself an opportunity to observe.

And speaking of forgetting things--I took my horse out last night, and was out of the driveway onto the road before I noticed I had not attached any breast strap! He was only attached to the cart by the tug and breeching straps. I was so busy noticing if I had the breeching on correctly I forgot to put on the breast collar.
default_wacko.png

Heather I think after you practice and get used to everything etc and know what hole everything is on it will go quicker. Used to take me forever buy now I can hitch Mariah in about 5 mins.

Maybe its just me but I dont see anything wrong with taking a few minutes longer to hitch. I am a complete novice as all my horses were trained to drive prior to me purchasing and I had forgotten all I had learned when I was younger. It does take me longer because I only have 1 harness and 3 horses ( 32, 34 37 ) so I am always adjusting to different "fits" but so what....its time spent with the horses. I get them hitched then make my DH drive so I can stand back and see for myself if everything is straight,tight,loose...then make adjustments. You are most likely just like me...we want to make sure our horses are comfortable and safe...its a good thing. Ive seen others hitch up pretty darn quick...then see the cart wasnt tied down, horse IMO was pulling from saddle and all sorts of other things that didnt look right in my eyes.

I do sympathize w/the horses in some ways cause they just want to get the show on the road and sometimes I think they get frustrated having to stand, walk forward, backup but I just make them wait till i'm ready. Mean mom that I am.

I think you guys are doing the right thing....maybe a little inconvient for you...but I think you are the types of people I would love to go driving with, heidi

P.S. I dont see anything wrong w/any quick hitch type things but I still think everyone needs to double check everything every time you go out!!

I always double check everything before we move out. Making sure everything is on, tight enough, and not broken. I'm just looking for some ways that I can speed it up a little since I take lessons and half my lesson is spent hitching him up. I have to wait until my instructor gets there so I have someone to hold Jay while I hitch him. Everyone else at the farm is scared of him and won't even be in the same arena as him. He's doesn't misbehave anymore, but they still think he does.

I always double check everything before we move out. Making sure everything is on, tight enough, and not broken. I'm just looking for some ways that I can speed it up a little since I take lessons and half my lesson is spent hitching him up. I have to wait until my instructor gets there so I have someone to hold Jay while I hitch him. Everyone else at the farm is scared of him and won't even be in the same arena as him. He's doesn't misbehave anymore, but they still think he does.
Isn't there anyplace you can tie him while hitching? Even if you leave the bridle until the instructor gets there it would save you time. I always tie my horses when first training after lessons for a half hour or so, so they get used to standing around. You can also do that before driving. Just slip a large barn halter over the bridle and tie using the halter - Not the Bridle!!. I Stay in the area in case they ge stupid, but never had any huge issues. They eventually just give up and say OK - I guess I gotta stand here.

Try harnessing and hitching 4 of them while your spouse keeps asking you to check her harness. Fortunately for now there are enough curiosity seekers to help hold them while I hitch up all the traces and reins and neck straps, etc. It usually takes about 45 min to an hour. It's easy to miss one, and I have. I did a whole lesson one time with the strap between the front two unhooked. They worked together so well we never noticed. Kind of like a double tandem.

I gets easier the more times you do it. Develop a repetitive pattern and never, never let anyone help you unharness.
default_yes.gif

I have clips on my breeching straps so that I can leave them attatched to the cart and just clip them on when I'm ready to hitch, rather than wraping them everytime. Hitching is also much faster for me now that I have open tugs and do not have to worry about wrap straps. A lot of it is just practice though, and you will get faster with time.

I have clips on my breeching straps so that I can leave them attatched to the cart and just clip them on when I'm ready to hitch, rather than wraping them everytime. Hitching is also much faster for me now that I have open tugs and do not have to worry about wrap straps. A lot of it is just practice though, and you will get faster with time.
I have the same set-up as Jessica. I have clips on my breeching, open tugs which don't have wrap straps and I have clips on my reins. I hitch up and check over my hitch in 5-10 minutes and that's taking my time so the horse stays relaxed. The more you do it the quicker you will become.

Happy driving!

Wendy

Isn't there anyplace you can tie him while hitching? Even if you leave the bridle until the instructor gets there it would save you time. I always tie my horses when first training after lessons for a half hour or so, so they get used to standing around. You can also do that before driving. Just slip a large barn halter over the bridle and tie using the halter - Not the Bridle!!. I Stay in the area in case they ge stupid, but never had any huge issues. They eventually just give up and say OK - I guess I gotta stand here.

Not really. I don't feel safe hitching a cart to him while tied. I've tried before and had major problems. He can be a bit of a snot and if someone is not at his head when we're stopped, he'll start dancing. Once hitched he'll stand all day for you, he hates the hitching process. Probably because he feels me getting overwhelmed. How I usually go about things is lunge him with an open bridle and side reins, tie him for a half hour while I groom my broodmare, tack him up and ground drive him, then once the instructor gets to the farm we hitch him up and then off we go. I also tie him again after the lesson so he is able to "chew" on things for a bit before I let him loose.

An HOUR to hitch a horse to a cart? I imagine your stallion would get impatient!

Personally, I don't tie my horse when hitching... I like to always have the lines in my hand or within close grabbing distance.

If my horses can't stand still long enough to be hooked, then they aren't ready to be hooked to a cart yet.

I actually filmed this video to try to help sell her, she is very green in the cart but I guess it shows my process. She's a Shetland Pony. The video is three minutes long, and includes some time at either end before the process.

If any experienced drivers have input, I'm not too old or close-minded to take other techniques to heart, either...

I have a whole bunch of videos, I think I have one of her unhooking, too.

I don't always have a header, and I don't always have somewhere safe to tie if I'm out and around town... so my horses need to have manners first and foremost.

Andrea

This is an area where 'practice' should improve your time...but an hour to hitch a single horse sounds mighty long....I don't use checks or running martingale, always use breeching, and can harness a single in 5-7 min., usually. Of course, anytime you need to change adjustments, that will add to the time it takes. It is best NOT to hurry, so just do it, do it, do it...you will become more 'time-efficient', surely. Open tug(shaft)loops with holddown straps are 'faster' to do up than wrap straps, also... I've come to like them better,personally.

If you are taking lessons, why can't you harness(not fully hitch)the horse ahead of time, let it stand tied (safely, with you keeping a constant eye on it, of course) until time to actually hitch? It is certainly possible to do so; just don't allow straps/traces, etc. to 'dangle' where they could be stepped on/catch on something! Then the actual act of hooking to the vehicle, adding the reins, etc., shouldn't take all that long. I have halters that can be left on under the bridle(they just need to fit right), or, a roomier halter can be put 'back' on the horse over the bridle for this purpose, then removed when the time is right--for the time the horse is to stand tied waiting....

Any horse eventually 'should' be able to stand tied, OR, stand 'free'(but for safety, always kept 'in hand' somehow by someone)for harnessing. When you have to work by yourself, you really HAVE to train to tie...one way is to simply tie the horse safely while you work nearby, and just allow it to learn the necessary patience while you keep an eye on it.

I presume that people are referring to 'quick release snap shackles' when they say 'clips'? These originated in the boating industry, so I've read, and do help immensely in speeding up the process, esp. with multiples. They need to be GOOD ones, which are NOT inexpensive, but they do work well! I am saving to buy a pair of the specific type for the breeching holdback straps, which also is a real time-saver. If you have a sword-end singletree, as comes on the Frontiers and other EE pipe carts, though, they aren't needed/don't work for the traces.

Margo

does anyone have a photo of the quick ones so you do not have to wrap and a place you can buy some as well,i am starting out and in training - it also takes me time but very interested in the clip ons

"I presume that people are referring to 'quick release snap shackles' when they say 'clips'? These originated in the boating industry, so I've read, and do help immensely in speeding up the process, esp. with multiples. They need to be GOOD ones, which are NOT inexpensive, but they do work well! I am saving to buy a pair of the specific type for the breeching holdback straps, which also is a real time-saver. If you have a sword-end singletree, as comes on the Frontiers and other EE pipe carts, though, they aren't needed/don't work for the traces. "

Can you clarify this for me? I am so new and have no one to ask. Any pictures? Tell me what these are for please??

Thanks,

Robin

I think by snaps they mean a regular snap, as are on halters. It is part of the wrap strap, sewn into the leather. The wrap stays on the shaft and the snap clips to the breeching rings.

It is NOT the same thing as quick release hitches. Quick release hitches are not suitable for regular cart work, IMO. I have some on my sulky and that is fine for straight forward excercise, but not for manuevering in a regular ez cart. Besides the attachment on the sulky shaft, the harness saddle also has the shackle bolted on. A totally different setup than clips on wrap straps.

I will try to remember to take a picture next time I'm hitched with it.

The problem with using clips to harness is that they are a lot more likley to break down or come undone, under stress, than leather that has been kept in good condition. One of my harnesses came with a clip to attach the back strap to the saddle and the first thing I did was remove it. I think that if you work patiently now to train your horse to stand and yourself to harness you will get much quicker over time. I don't imagine that it is truly taking you an hour to hitch, just feels like it when you are impatient to get driving. I agree with Disney Horse, a horse isn't ready to hitch if it won't stand quietly.

Where can I BUY clip on straps (instead of having to wrap the breeching strap)? I would like to see them and probably buy them.

Thanks,

Robin

Yep- the more you do it, the faster it will get! I remember how frustrating it was the first year or two I drove because it seemed like it took me 30-40 minutes just to get hitched, nevermind harnessed AND hitched. As you get used to it and become more familiar with your horse's typical harness settings you'll spend a lot less time trying to adjust everything and making sure it's right and more time simply making sure you remembered everything, which isn't nearly as maddening.

For practice around home there's no reason you can't use the same quick-release snaps as the big guys do. They make them in mini sizes and using a set of snap shackles on your breeching holdbacks would make a big difference all by itself. It's considered a bit tacky for showing, but works great for training!
default_biggrin.png
For those that are asking, here's a link to the official "quick release snap shackles": Snap Shackles. Ask Celine which ones would be appropriate. The advantage of those is if your horse flips over you can pull one pin and free him where as a regular snap might be under so much pressure you can't get it loose, but if they're too pricey for you you can use heavy-duty steel clips from the hardware store. Make sure they're rated for the weight of your entire load, meaning cart AND driver and then some. You don't want the metal to break at the wrong moment.
default_unsure.png

That way when you go to harness all you have to do is as follows:

1) Put harness saddle on horse's back, crupper and breeching attached. Loosely fasten cinch. Lift tail over breeching, buckle crupper and make sure no little hairs from the tailhead are caught in the harness. If saddle is in the right place, tighten cinch a little more.

2) Pull buckled breastcollar over the head, crossed traces held with the neckstrap. Attach neckstrap to check hook if using show-style harness, attach false martingale if you’re using carriage harness that has one. Tuck the traces under the backstrap to keep them off the ground.

3) Bridle the horse, run the reins through the terrets and buckle to the bit.

4) Pull the cart up and run it through the tugs. Hook up the traces so if the horse bolts forward the cart doesn’t fall out of the tugs. Not only would it scare the horse clattering down around his feet, but he could step on the shafts and really hurt himself.

5) Click those holdback straps to the breeching rings if you’ve got snaps, wrap the holdbacks if you don’t. That way if the horse suddenly backs up the cart won't roll up on him and hit his hocks.

6) Then buckle in the overgirth or wrap the wrap straps. This is the last step because in a harness with breeching the overgirth is only essential when driving, as it keeps the shafts from potentially flipping up when you get in and keeps them close to the horse's side as he turns.

Voila! You're hitched. See, that didn't take long!
default_biggrin.png
It's even faster with show harness as all you have to do is attach the traces and the wrap straps and you're off. Of course it takes me a lot longer to harness with the running martingale and check, but once I'm harnessed the hitching goes much faster.
default_wink.png
Still, I'd rather take the time and use a full harness appropriate for the sort of off-road driving I do.

Once you're hitched it's really a pretty quick checklist to run through. Are the reins attached to the bit and in your hands? Are both traces attached? Are both holdback straps attached? Are both wrap straps attached? Done! A quick visual inspection should cover all of these. You may forget a keeper somewhere or something but that's not such a big deal and will become less frequent with practice.

Final notes:

ruffian said:
Isn't there anyplace you can tie him while hitching? Even if you leave the bridle until the instructor gets there it would save you time. I always tie my horses when first training after lessons for a half hour or so, so they get used to standing around. You can also do that before driving. Just slip a large barn halter over the bridle and tie using the halter - Not the Bridle!!
It's okay to tie up by the halter over the bridle as Ruffian is suggesting as long as you're right there, but please, please, do not ever remove the headgear after the horse is already hitched to the cart!
default_new_shocked.gif
If he should pull away from you while you're buckling the halter or putting the bridle on and get loose with the cart attached and no way to catch him....Oy!
default_shutup.gif
Bad, bad, very bad.
default_no.gif
I just wanted to make sure this was mentioned in case someone misinterpreted the advice above to mean "Hitch up, then put the bridle on when your trainer arrives."

Al B said:
Develop a repetitive pattern and never, never let anyone help you harness.
default_yes.gif
This is a cardinal rule! It's far too easy for someone to overlook an important strap when there's two of you and you'll spend twice as long going around making sure they did everything correctly as you would have simply doing it yourself. This is your life you're taking in your hands- give it the concentration it deserves and don't let anyone else interfere. Save the chatting for on the drive.
default_smile.png

Leia

Marsha Cassada said:
I think by snaps they mean a regular snap, as are on halters. It is part of the wrap strap, sewn into the leather. The wrap stays on the shaft and the snap clips to the breeching rings.
It is NOT the same thing as quick release hitches. Quick release hitches are not suitable for regular cart work, IMO. I have some on my sulky and that is fine for straight forward excercise, but not for manuevering in a regular ez cart. Besides the attachment on the sulky shaft, the harness saddle also has the shackle bolted on. A totally different setup than clips on wrap straps.
Quick Hitch harnesses from the Standardbred world involve hardware on the sulky shafts and saddle that allow you to simply clip them together and skip using traces entirely. What we're referring to are quick release snap shackles, which work like regular hardware snaps except they are made to allow easy release under pressure (something very necessary in the boating world). See the link in my previous post for a picture.

If you did use a regular snap for this it wouldn't be the type you see on a halter leadline, but rather a "square loop snap," i.e. one that has a square end for the leather and then a teardrop shaped clip part where you press in on the little metal flange and your breeching ring slips inside. Something like item B here:

130-snaps.jpg

Make sure the opening is away from your horse, as always.
default_smile.png

On my harnesses the holdbacks are not stitched to the breeching ring but form a loop around it then run through a keeper. All I'd have to do is pull the strap out of the keeper, thread the snap into it then put it through the keeper again and attach the snap to the breeching ring. I could easily take it off again for show but meanwhile would have the convenience of a snap.

Leia

Latest posts

Back