Hip terrets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specialk

Reaction score
My reins keep getting hooked on the buckles of my hip straps. The buckles are really high up on my horse's hip. I have heard of hip terrets that hold the reins up. Does anyone know where to get some?

I used to use big clips. Like the $1.99 kind at the dollar store. I'd clip them to the top rings of the breaching and slip my reins through. Not pretty but it did get the job done

You could have someone add "D" rings to the hip straps for your reins to go through...

It sounds like you're having a lot of problems with harness fit. Do you know anyone in your area that is experienced with driving? In another topic you mentioned your breeching being loose enough to move a lot. The whole harness may be too large for your horse.

Any Amish harness maker could sell you a strap with two rings for the reins that buckles on the backstrap. Usually used when the driver doesn't want to have to keep contact with the horse, like plowing. You might be better off to replace your hip strap with one that is shorter so won't need to be buckled so high.

MajorClementine has a great shot of her harness from the driver's seat. Compare what hers looks like to what you see when you're driving.

Just my 2 cents!

Latest posts

Back