Hey Leia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
Just curious considering it is the end of May. Trying to retain the info on these driving get togethers. Also what is expected in attire for such an event.

I was just watching some youtube videos of mini scurrys because we have a couple of shows this summer where they have them. They do look like fun, but I don't have a horse that I have ready to gallop a course with. They could do the gallop part, but the whoa might not be very good.
default_laugh.png

The dress looks quite casual to me, and helmets are likely mandatory...or they should be.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
scurry driving is so cool! I saw the britisch team this winter on a driving event here in Holland. They are fast! To bad I'm not able to join them, my horse is to small (most of their horses were around 11 hands

Scurry Driving as such is usually for a pair of ponies or horses. If you do a search on www.youtube.com you will find a few examples. Scurry Driving can be very exciting to watch. The course usually has either an "L" shape or a "U" shape, a "Bridge", a serpentine/slalom, etc. Some of the sets of cones are measured to only give you a very small margin for error.

This is a video of a very experienced driver doing a scurry that may have had a horse communication problem. I would wonder if the reins were put on incorrectly?

Here in Australia, we don't seem to have many scurry classes at shows but we do get some Cones and/or Obstacle classes. They are great fun to do. The 36" (native) Shetland gelding that I used to drive, loved doing the Cones and Obstacle classes. The faster the better. We only ever hit one cone in the 8-9 years that I competed with him. He was very responsive to drive, with a lovely soft mouth on him and a great Whoa! Cones were judged over the same sort of course as the Scurry, and in the Obstacle class we would usually have to stop for a given time in a square, post a letter, pick up and move something, etc.

Chatterbox-j-3.jpg
Chatterbox-j-2.jpg
Chatterbox-j-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok sounds fast and we certainly aren't ready for something like that our first time out. It was suggested that we drive her for awhile and then attend the Happs schooling event end of summer so that sounds way more reasonable to me. Would be fun to watch tough.

Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge of this event.

Marie

There are a few different definitions of Scurry, so I don't know what event you are referring to that is in May. Pleasure Driving shows can have a class called Scurry that is similar to Pick Your Route cones. That is only done at a trot.

The August 2009 issue of The Whip from ADS featured an article on the American Scurry Challenge. So far, it is not an ADS event that I know of. If you search YouTube for American Scurry Challenge, you will see how they ran it there. Their information is on http://americanscurrychallenge.com/

We don't have anything like that around here, so the only information I know is from the article.

Myrna

Rhinestone, she's referring to the one in May here in WA that I brought up on Amy's TREC thread. Yes, it's an American Scurry Challenge event. Amy's the one who knows about them as she went to the last one. I'm short a scurry horse (or any horse) at the moment so I haven't competed.

Leia

Back