HELP!! Please...... Update on Page 4

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raine Ranch Minis

Reaction score
I went to the barn this morning to find my oldest mare limping badly. I did not have time to post this morning because of Church. So when I got back, I cleaned her feet and nothing was stuck in them. I don't know if I should call the Vet or the Fairer or both or if it is nothing and I am overreacting?? I don't know what to do please help. Oh and she has a history of Founder.
default_sad.png
default_unsure.png
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_please.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I would encourage you to call the vet and run what's going on by him or her.

Do her feet feel warm to the touch?

We had a horse w/ founder or laminitis and the way we treated was a combination of closed in a DEEPLY bedded stall, icing feet, and giving buffered aspirin 2x a day. I had heard here and also read that aspirin can help improve circulation and is thought by some to be superior to banamine for this specific use in horses. The horse is fine now. It's our pony, Sundance.... His issue was part of why we switched all adult horses over to a low starch feed and since then, everyone looks better and those who had a crest (and I feared leading towards issues) lost them fairly quickly on this feed program we now use.

Good luck!

Ditto. Call the vet and put your mind at ease (or at least you'll find out what's going on).

One thing to keep in mind, though, is banamine can just mask the symptoms and reduce the fever and can interfere with the vet recognizing what is really going on. If it's anything "weird", I don't usually dose it without first calling the vets and outlining what I see. Then they usually give me a recommendation which may involve banamine or some of the other "goodies" in my vet kit.

Is she lame on a front foot? Both front feet? Or is it a hind leg?

If the front, one or both, can you detect a digital pulse? I find an obvious digital pulse that is strong or fast (or both) is a much better indicator of laminitis than heat in the feet is.

Are you familiar with the signs of laminitis/founder? If so, is this what this looks like?

They where slighty warm, but my hands where cold.

Hind leg. I have no cule how to find a pulse.

Are you familiar with the signs of laminitis/founder? If so, is this what this looks like?
No not really
I don't know much about horse illnesses. I need a book. LOL

When our horse was foundered / laminitis (slight case), I actually initially thought he was lame in the back -- even as long as I've owned horses. I think it can be hard for people who haven't seen it before to recognize if the issue (when it's laminitis) is front not back (either that or the vet was trying to make me feel better when I was surprised it was front not back). Looked back to me at the time, but it was actually front.

When our horse was foundered / laminitis (slight case), I actually initially thought he was lame in the back -- even as long as I've owned horses. I think it can be hard for people who haven't seen it before to recognize if the issue (when it's laminitis) is front not back (either that or the vet was trying to make me feel better when I was surprised it was front not back). Looked back to me at the time, but it was actually front.
Laminitis can occur in any of the hooves, but usually occurs in the front, as they support most of the body weight. I have a mare with laminitic issues, when I first noticed it and hauled her to the vet for x-rays she had mild rotation front and back (the fronts worse than the backs). But it can be hard to tell which if you don't know the signs.

Laminitis can occur in any of the hooves, but usually occurs in the front, as they support most of the body weight. I have a mare with laminitic issues, when I first noticed it and hauled her to the vet for x-rays she had mild rotation front and back (the fronts worse than the backs). But it can be hard to tell which if you don't know the signs.

I think that if laminitis/founder occurs in the back, the front are usually affected first. I don't think you'd ever see a case of laminitis in just the back.

I think she's been kicked and has a bruised muscle.
default_smile.png

First thing to do, call the vet, don't give pain meds unless the vet tells you to, they mask the pain. second thing to do put her in a stall heavly bedded down with saw dust. Wait for the vet. If it is founder the vet will prescrib pain meds and maybe have you put on a pad that conforms to the foot and get the farrier out. Do not give grain, only a little hay and water.

The vet will give you instructions.

Looking at the video, I agree. To me (not a vet), it looks like there's something going on just with the right hind leg or hoof (notice how she handles that hoof).

She says she has pain in all 4 feet. I would get the vet out.

Good Luck

Bonnie

To me it also looks like she is sore on all 4 feet, not just one. She is short strided, she walks with her head down and then comes back up. I would call the vet and put her in a deeply bedded stall.

Jamie and Bonnie may well be right. Like I said before, with my pony, I thought it was just a back leg then, so I know I don't see it as well as I could when it's founder... Is she standing with her legs further out than is normal for her? That can also be a sign.

Is that Shine On? It may not mean a thing, but I have one of her "sisters" (same sire) and she is prone to founder over nothing! I know it can be genetic and some horses are just prone to it, regardless- Tanya stays on a dry lot 24/7 and still foundered on us last spring when the weather changed.

She seems to be taking short steps because the back foot is hurting, plus she does not have a big area to move forward. It could be something as simple as an abscess. A farrier could check it out pretty fast.

Latest posts

Back