HELP!! Please...... Update on Page 4

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last summer I had a mare do this and then about 4 hours later her whole haunch swelled up. Just ballooned up! Had the vet out and he wasnt sure either but we think she got kicked or cast herself.

Looks kinda like she could have some swelling father up the leg to the haunch area, but hard to tell with the glare. Feel your way all the way up the leg, haunch and hip and see if you feel swelling or heat.

I would for sure get a vet opinion as it could be so many things.

Sending good thoughts for your mare!

I wish I had look at this 10 mins ago!!! I already fed her tonight.
default_sad.png
Nothing I can do about that now. Oh well.

As far as I know our vets office does not have a oncall Horse Vet. The main vet is at home. I hate to bother Him at his house tonight. We are taking some horses to the Vets tomorrow afternoon. I will definitely take her with us and let him look at her.

I have not given any meds. I am going to look for swelling now. I will update as soon as I get back from the barn.

Thank you all for the help so far!!!
default_yes.gif

Update: Definite swelling in right Hip. That is all I saw. Heat in that foot and luke warm on all others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that Shine On? It may not mean a thing, but I have one of her "sisters" (same sire) and she is prone to founder over nothing! I know it can be genetic and some horses are just prone to it, regardless- Tanya stays on a dry lot 24/7 and still foundered on us last spring when the weather changed.

Yes It is!
default_biggrin.png
It is very possible.

I am not a vet so this is just what I would do

Since you cant see a vet till tomorrow I would give her a dose of banamine for the night to make her more comfortable. It will wear off by the time your vet sees her and I hate to think of her in pain all night as everything hurts worse at night.

I don't have any right now.
default_no.gif
:No-Sad I know terrible. I know I should have some, but I just don't have any.
default_no.gif
:No-Sad
default_no.gif

Not sure of the dosage but Aspirin could help for the night only last for 4-6 hours, that is why banamine is better, last longer.

At least this might help her for the evening.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Yes, would help till you talk with your vet in the morning.

helps with swelling and pain, being you do not have banamine on hand.

Ok Thank you SO much.
default_yes.gif
Oh one more question. LOL How do I give it to her. Force it down like a dog, let her chew it with some food , or some other way?

Ok we just got back from the vet. Ofcorse she was no longer limping.
default_rolleyes.gif
I got him to look at it anyway and he said it was most likely nothing.
default_rolleyes.gif
Might have stepped on a rock or something like that.
default_laugh.png
oh well i guess she will be fine. Thank you all for all your advice!!!!!!
default_yes.gif

I'm so glad to hear your mare is fine! Horses and trucks can go hand in hand! Last week I brought in my show mare, looked like she was sore in the front. when hubby got home, had him look at her, he's a farrier, couldn't find anything off, so we turned her lose in a empty paddock, she went flying off like nothing was wrong. Then last month I keep hearing a funny noise under the dash of my truck, took it in to the machanic, wouldn't you know, it wouldn't make the noise for him. WAs fine for a couple of days then the other day I heard the noise again, but it wouldn't make the noise when hubby got in! Go fiqure!

Ok we just got back from the vet. Of corse she was no longer limping.
default_rolleyes.gif
I got him to look at it anyway and he said it was most likly nothing.
default_rolleyes.gif
Might have stepped in hole or somthing like that.
default_laugh.png
oh well i guess she will be fine. Thank you all for all your advice!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
Thanks for the update. So glad everything when well at the vets.
default_saludando.gif

That is good news, I am so pleased for you and your little girl.

YEAH!!!! So glad to hear baby is doing much better!!!

Latest posts

Back