HELP NEEDED WITH NEW FOAL!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
She was born 2 days ago, and noticed her face and nose was ALWAYS COVERED with mommas MILK horribly, and now today I see why... when she drinks at the bar, it seems as if she isn't getting much down her throat, it comes back out up her NOSE! Not just a little amount, it POURS out of her nose, and mouth!! To the point she starts to cough almost, what could cause this??? I have never seen or heard of this in a foal and I am worried, but if she wasn't getting any of it down, she wouldnt be doing very well.

default_wacko.png

sounds like a cleft palate to me. I hope not, just guessing but that is what it sounds like.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a cleft palate to me. I hope not, just guessing but that is what it sounds like.
default_sad.png
I actually was just reading about that, and it sounds just like what she has
default_unsure.png

Really upset, this foal is not mine it is my mothers...and she doesn't seem to think much is wrong with her, just that shes getting too much milk?..but even if she was it wouldn't come out her nose..

Kayla, it sounds like a cleft palate to me. You need to have a vet examine her asap. She likely will not survive.

Kayla, it sounds like a cleft palate to me. You need to have a vet examine her asap. She likely will not survive.
I talked with mom, and she said she can't get the vet out... Is their anyway to physically look myself to see if she does??

Yes, you can check her mouth. But, she will still need a vet. It is very serious as it causes pneumonia and early detection is crucial. Depending on how bad the cleft palate is and presence of pneumonia will determine how treatable she is.

Here is a link with info on treatment for cleft palate which is surgery: http://www.aaep.org/health_articles_view.php?id=56

Certainly could be a cleft palate. But doesn't have to be. Fluid can come out the nose of a foal or adult and be 'normal'.

Dr Taylor

Certainly could be a cleft palate. But doesn't have to be. Fluid can come out the nose of a foal or adult and be 'normal'.

Dr Taylor
This actually happened to one of our fillies. The milk poured out her nose. She also would faint whenever she would nurse. She did not have a cleft, but the vet checked her out when she was a few hours old to rule it out. Her dam was a heavy milker, apparently. I would encourage you to have a vet check her to be on the safe side - the sooner the better, as others have said.

This actually happened to one of our fillies. The milk poured out her nose. She also would faint whenever she would nurse. She did not have a cleft, but the vet checked her out when she was a few hours old to rule it out. Her dam was a heavy milker, apparently. I would encourage you to have a vet check her to be on the safe side - the sooner the better, as others have said.
What on earth caused her to faint? I can see momma having mega milk causing it to pour out her nose, but making the little one faint? Poor baby! How did that effect her growth?

It could be a cleft palate but I too had a foal that when he was drinking would take a fit of coughing and then I would see a load of milk coming out his nose. Again I worried about a cleft and used my finger to feel back but could not feel anything. Vet checked him out too and couldnt find anything so he said it was the mare and she was fit to explode with the amount of milk she had and he couldnt cope with the speed and flow and amount. It sorted itself out after a few days plus I would milk her to relieve the pressure and to help soften her udder as he also found it hard to latch on.

Hope the little foal will be ok.

I agree with the others and Ive nothing to add but I just wanted to wish youi good luck - I hope its a good out come for your little baby

This happens a lot with miniature horse babies, many outgrow this. It is wise however to call the VET, I am only sharing my experience with you. Good luck!

Another condition to consider with a foal who refluxes milk through the nose is an esophageal stricture. This is a band of tissue that constricts the diameter of the esophagus -- the connecting tube that goes from the mouth to the stomach. The stricture narrows the esophagus, so the milk backs up while it is trickling through the narrowed area on its way to the stomach. If the milk backs up in the esophagus enough, it comes back out through the nose and mouth, especially when the baby hangs its head down.

The first step in discovering an esophageal stricture is to have you vet try to pass a tiny tube down the esophagus. If the foal has a stricture, the tube will be difficult to pass (well...more difficult than usual in a tiny foal). The next step in determining the extent of the stricture and whether it can be revised or eliminated is to have the foal scoped with an endoscope -- in instrument that will allow the veterinarian to see inside the esophagus. Many strictures can be broken down with a simple balloon procedure (done through the endoscope) to widen the narrowed area and break down the web of tissue. Sometimes a stricture may require more extensive surgery.

Just wanted to throw out one more possibility for this foal's condition, albeit it a remote one. Personally I have seen many, many foals reflux milk through their nose from a dam with an abundance of milk that the foal just can't keep up with. As mentioned above, I just strip some of the milk out of the udder occasionally until the foal is big enough to keep up.

Back