Help Needed (pics included)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~katie~

Reaction score
I have many questions so please be patient and I am hoping to get many responses from some very valuable horse people! Thanks in advance! By the way, these are for my new horse Sampson (the bay horse in the first picture) although in winter fur he doesn't look too hott. . . .he has GREAT show horse potential!

1..Show Training In Halter classes:

I am currently training him to stand and pose for halter and it is working pretty well and when I say "set" he is starting to catch on to the meaning and he is only 4 months old and knows 80% of the time to set. But I need to know how to get him to arch/stretch his pretty little neck out for the judge!
yes.gif

2..Showing a horse with cow hocks:

I think my boy may be "cow hocked" slighty and would like to know a nice way to tone down that feature and accentuate his other nice features like his big eyes. That is just about his only conformation fault. . .and would like to hide it somewhat as I know every horse isnt perfect!
wink.gif

3..Getting him ready for the shows:

A - what to feed him

B - how to excersize him

C - preparation on day of shows

D - clipping

E - any other helpful tips

Some Fun Pictures:::

DSCF0014.jpg

*Sampson have fun with my little cousin and her mom*

riding.jpg

*Me riding my 6 year old Palomino Quarter Horse, Pistol*

DSCF0098.jpg

*My two handsome boys, Pistol on the right and Shadow on the left*

pistolnew1.jpg

*Pistol having his weekly mud bath in the summer*

I don't show but had to say how adorable that colt is and how great the biggies look. Love that palomino!

1. Halter

You're doing a great job already if your boy knows "set" and stands still for you! To get them to stretch and arch their neck, most people use some sort of "bait"to get their attention and prick their ears. You can use anything edible and some noise makers as long as they don't disturb other exhibitors.

2. Cow hocks

It depends on how severe. Many horses have hocks the turn slightly in; others are much more severe. You really can't hide it as you walk and trot for the judge but you can in the line up. Once set, gently pull/push the hocks out to set them straight.

3.Show conditioning

Everyone's show plan is different from the type of feed they feed to how much and what kind of exercise they do. I feed Nutrena feeds, supplements, and coastal or alfalfa hay. Exercise is generally lounging (you have to be careful with youngsters) or turn out. It all depends on the horse and its age.

Around March, everyone starts comparing show lists for what to bring. The list is endless!

Clipping: buy the best clippers you can afford and several blades in various sizes (the most common on 10, 15, 30, and 40).

Most of all, HAVE FUN!
yes.gif

This is a young horse.....while he may appear cow hocked, it MAY be that this will not be so as he matures and muscles. Also, have his trims checked to be sure he is correct there. This is another thing that MAY be affecting his "look"...farriers have been known to leave too much toe or heel, etc., on minis.

Backing up and walking up/down slopes will help build muscles ... having him walk over low obstacles, to lift legs (similar to stifle exercise) will help build those leg/hip muscles. Normal foal running/stretching helps, too.

He's a nice little fellow and may improve more than you think right now. Uh, one tip.....keep him away from that mud hole your pally visits
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back