Help!!! Mini gelding hates my new mini mares : (

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't find it unusual at all for a gelding and mares to fight. It's all part of establishing pecking order. Years ago had a gelding that had been running with the mares, and we definitely got both of his "screamers" when he was clipped. Added a new mare and he wanted to kill her. But she was not about to back down. They fought so hard that they ended up leaning against each other's rear ends so that neither could let go with a good kick. But in a couple of days all of the drama stopped. I figured I would just stay out of their way and they took care of it themselves.

Yes I don't find it odd either for mares and geldings to fight. But this is very different then the usual fighting to establish pecking order. That is why it's so odd!

They are NOT fighting him back and being very submissive. He is acting like a stud mounting them and being way more vicious then a stallion I have ever seen! He is wanting to kill them.

I can not just put them together and let them work it out, he is bigger and faster and my little tiny mare is so small and can not out run him. Just the small amount of time they where together he injured her. He would hurt her maybe even kill her if I let him.

And for those that have tried to help me try and find out what is going on here I MAY have an answer!!! Let me know what yall think please!!!

His sister Summer is bagging up! : O she was in with a young stud last summer, but I never saw them breed. And she has been in heat since. So I didn't think she was in foal and forgot all about it. But now I was shocked to see her getting a bag! If she IS in foal could THAT be why Sunny is acting so crazy!?!?

There is a possibility that if the one mare is in foal, it could set the other one off. The hormones are changing and more.

You might want to try and completely seperate him and his buddy for a good while (more than a week), sounds like he is trying to protect her or keep the other two away. If he cant behave after that, then he might have to be alone.

Ive seen some ugly fights before in herds. Ive always kept my horses seperate, geldings in one field and mares in another but that was just my preference because I had a QH gelding that was possessive over mares and when he would get his favorite you were in trouble. If you took him out of the field to go inside for dinner or riding, yeah it was a full out battle; definitely not worth it. As soon as I had him out with just all boys for about a month or less his attitude full changed back to the calm sweet gelding that he was; mares just made him nuts in that situation.

Thanks all for you input! I'm going to try everything everyone suggested. He is my only gelding, and my other 3 minis are mares. If all else fails I will just keep him with his sister in one pasture and the other two mares in the other pasture. We will see I guess

I hope you get it figured out and they can all get along with one another. I know I was glad when I got my guys fixed. Now the low man on the totem pole seems to be the bossy one. He is also the smallest! I was always worried about them hurting him. He took some pretty hard knocks. Right after he got home from having his eye removed, my mare ran over to him and just reared up and kicked him with both front legs and sent him rolling! I could not believe it! I kept him away from them for awhile.

I don't have a clue what to suggest.

Thanks Kim, They can be so moody can't they Kim! Lol your poor little gelding : (

I think Sunny is starting to be ok with the bigger mare now. I had them together on long lines and he could care less.... But I was holding him. The tiny mare he really has it out for!

Latest posts

Back