HELP - Angular Limb Deformities in Foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3

Reaction score
I had a little pinto colt born this weekend. He seems strong and healthy, however, I am concerned about his leg, one front leg. All his legs appear fairly straight, as straight as most newborn mini foals, when he is standing still. However, when he bends his left front leg, it does not bend straight, it breaks to the outside, giving him a bow-legged look. It does effect his movement somewhat, but he is still very active.

I have seen similar deformities in big horse foals and have looked this up on the internet and seen that it can be a develepmental thing, however it could be genetic. He is about a 308 day foal and has some signs of being a little 'under-cooked'. I plan to take him to the vet to be evaluated, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of condition? I want to have as much practical knowledge as I can when I speak with the vets concerning prognosis and treatment. I understand there are both surgical and non-surgical options so would appreciate any input on results that others have seen in similar cases.

I don't have any photos right now, but I will try to get some soon.

I am heading to work and can't view the Forum from there, so if you have anything specific, please email me as well as posting it here. Or, you can call me on my cellphone. I plan to try to get off of work today to take him to the vet, so I may not have a chance to get to see this topic again. My email is [email protected] and my phone number is 580-695-7024.

Thanks

Julie

Back