Heartworm meds VS Ivermectin (dog related)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
My dogs have been on Heartguard Plus forever that I buy at the vet.

It's very expensive to give to large dogs, so I am wondering

what everyone else uses for Heartworm preventitive.

Some breeders have been telling me that I have been wasting my money and to just use ivermectin that comes in a bottle like from Jeffers etc.

Who knew? :eek:

The lady I got my dogs from used to be a vets assistant and she has spent several years in college. I told her I used to give my dogs horse dewormer for heart worms and she told me that for over 15 years now she's given her dogs a mixture of propalyn glycol and Ivemec (cattle dewormer- liquid form) and her dogs have always tested clean for heartworms. She used to have a large kennel of dogs (upwards of 85 dogs) and she treated dogs from Maltese to Great Pyranees with this mixture and it has always done well for her dogs.

She gets her supplies from www.revivalanimal.com .

She consults 3 different vets with her health plans for her dogs and they all agree with her methods. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to when she gets her new shipment in.

Certain dogs do not handle it well at all.

Seems like the Collies are very prone to getting sick with it. I know I did it once with my Blue Heeler, made him loopy for a couple hours. Heelers are not typically effected, that I've heard, but mine was and I talked to the breeder and his sire couldn't handle it either.

I do know that the cattle Ivermec cut with propalyn glycol makes great cat ear mite treatment. I also know if you compare the labels on Cattle Injectable Ivermec and Eqlvan the labels are the same but the price is quite different. :lol:

I use Tri Heart Plus. You can get it online with a script from Vet. It's the generic for heartguard only cheaper.

I found this site for Frontline Plus much cheaper and I think I remember seeing something for heartworm too, check it out prices are the cheapest I have found.

www.canadavet.com

I have not ordered from here yet but I am planning on sending in an order in few weeks. Has anyone ordered from here?

I don't know the exact mixture off hand, but yes, the ivermectin needs to be mixed with a carrier (ie. propalene glycol - sp?). The dose given to the dogs is very small and if given straight (without a carrier) it does make them loopy for a while. We're now using Iverhart Max at our vet clinic. Heartguard has raised their prices to make it too expensive for even us to buy so we switched over to Iverhart last year. The bonus with the Max is that it now worms for tapeworms as well as other intestinal worms and is also a heartworm prevention. Sure beats the $$$$$ tapeworm meds!

As for the collie deal.....it's not every collie that is affected by ivermectin. SOME collies have a genetic disorder that makes them unable to properly process ivermectin. The only way to be able to tell is a test or if the dog shows a reaction. The number of dogs affected is quite small.

Kim! Please do not try the ivermectin with your aussies!! Ivermectin is deadly to collie type breeds and that includes aussies! My vet was here and saw some ivermectin tubes in the trash and told me to make sure my Aussie NEVER got in contact with them. I also knew this from doing research too. Please be careful!! Doesn't seem to me it's worth the risk just to save a couple of bucks.

Jayne

And I believe it is bad with Corgis too -- I am thinking it was "herding breeds" but not positive about that.

Well, this has come up before and it can be a very foolish way to "save" money as ivermectin is very deadly to some breeds of dogs (primarily herding dogs). My thought is that anyone who can afford to own horses, a huge non-necessity and luxury, can surely afford to give their dog the proper heartworm preventative.

I don't have a good feeling about using any kind of cattle mixture so I'm not about to do that.

Heartguard has raised their prices

You are so right about that one, but that is all my vet offers. I doubt he'd be giving out a RX to another brand. Marking up his meds is one way of making money.

My thought is that anyone who can afford to own horses, a huge non-necessity and luxury, can surely afford to give their dog the proper heartworm preventative.

I feel the same way Jill. I don't cut corners or try to on my animal's health, feed, or anything, never did. When that day ever comes, I won't have animals.

I'm merely asking about other alternatives to Heartguard Plus, and I never heard of using ivermectrin before to control heartworms.

I use Interceptor Tabs. It's about $3.00 a tab. It also gets rid of another kind of worm that I can't remember off the top of my head.....maybe tapeworms.

I'm merely asking about other alternatives to Heartguard Plus, and I never heard of using ivermectrin before to control heartworms.
Marty, if you look on your Heartgard box it is the combination of IVERMECTIC/PYRANTEL that constitutes heartworm prevention.

I imagine you could use a combination of these drugs.....but I won't do it to save a buck.

I pay about $5.25 for each Heargard chewable for a dog over 55 pounds. Or about $65 a year. Not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dog got sick a few years ago from heartworms, which she most likely picked up from the trails I take her on. Ever since then I've kept her on Heartguard and it sure is a lot chaper than the vet bill! You can usually find good prices on Heartguard on petmeds.com or kvvet.com.

Liz R.

Heartgard's active ingredient is Ivomectin. Many many breeders including all the racing greyhound kennels use Ivomectin for their heartworm treatment. It is also the treatment of choice for demodectic and sarcoptic mange.

Some collie type dogs do have a sensetivity to the Ivomectin but if you are using heartgard or any of the heartworm preventatives with Ivomectin in as the main active ingredient then if they were going to have a reaction they would have had it with the dog labelled heartworm preventative.

I use the "plus" kind with iver/pyrantel since my dogs eat a lot of horse poop-I like to get rid of as many parasites as I can. You can order from Canada Vet without a prescription and they offer the generic ones as well that are less expensive. Last time I ordered from them though they did not have the meaty chewable kind-just the tabs.

Generic Name

Ivermectin (eye-ver-mek’-tin)

Brand Name(s)

Heartgard (Merial), Heartgard Plus (Merial), Heartguard (mis-spelled)

(My dogs have always been on the Heartguard Plus version of this which includes pyrantel)

What is this medication used for

Heartgard is an anthelminthic (dewormer) used for the prevention of heartworm disease in dogs and cats. Heartgard is also used for the control of hookworm in cats. Combined with pyrantel pamoate (Heartgard Plus), it also protects against hookworm and roundworm in dogs.

Availability

Heartgard is available by prescription as unflavored tablets and flavored chewable tablets. Heartgard Plus is available as flavored chewable tablets

How this medicine should be used

Heartgard is given once a month year round for the prevention of heartworm disease. The usual dose of Heartgard in dogs up to 25 pounds is 68mcg, for 26-50 pounds is 136mcg and for 51-100 pounds is 272mcg. Dogs over 100 pounds are given a combination of tablets. The usual dose of Heartgard in cats 5 pounds or less is 55mcg and for cats 6-15 pounds is 165mcg. The chewable tablets should be chewed. They are not meant to be swallowed whole. For dogs that normally swallow treats whole, the tablet can be broken into pieces. As an alternate to year round dosing, this medication can be given during the mosquito season and for one month after the season ends.

What are the side effects

The side effects of Heartgard are rare at the recommended heartworm prevention dose. Higher doses in dogs may cause tremors, dilated pupils, and loss of body weight or death. Side effects in cats include agitation, loss of appetite, staggering, dilated pupils, tremors, blindness and disorientation.

What special precautions are there

This medication should not be used in animals allergic to it. Use with caution in Collies. Heartworm testing should be performed prior to the start of prevention therapy. If the animal is off Heartgard for 6 months or less, start the medication and test after 6 months since microfilaria, that take 6 months to mature, will result in a positive test result. Because humans can contract hookworm from animals, it is important to maintain good personal hygiene. It is also important to eliminate fleas on the pet and in the household and to not feed the pet rodents or uncooked meat or fish. To prevent reinfection, daily cleanup of stools is recommended.

Well, this has come up before and it can be a very foolish way to "save" money as ivermectin is very deadly to some breeds of dogs (primarily herding dogs). My thought is that anyone who can afford to own horses, a huge non-necessity and luxury, can surely afford to give their dog the proper heartworm preventative.

The proper heart worm preventative? Which one is the proper one? The woman I was talking about has treated her dogs (Aussies) with this mixture every month for many years and she's never lost a herding dog to Ivermectin poisoning. It has no ill side-effects on her dogs, they stay healthy and well taken care of. Her treatment regimen has been cleared as healthy and efficient by 3 different vets.

I can't help but feel offended by the statement that "surely I can afford to buy the proper treatment for my dogs". I think there are several people (like me) that would like to be able to save a few dollars when and wherever they can as long as they do not compromise the health of their pets.

Edited.... I have had a really bad day and popped off... sorry ya'll. I do my best for my dogs that I can and sometimes my best isn't as good as some other people's best is... but I do try to improve at all times.

From what I gathered of the question a compairison was asked. I was just trying to give input from the side that uses the ivemectin (sp?) for their dogs. Not that everyone should do it... it's up to the individual to do as they feel comfortable doing.

I know tons of horse people around here (some are mini horse people some big horse people) that use Ivermectin Cattle injectable as an oral dewormer for their horses even though it's not labeled for that use. Loads of medications, household cleaners, and other things are used for instances that they were not originally designed for...some with good results... some with not so good results.

Again, it's "one of those days" for me so I'll just shut up now and go back to my corner. One of these days I'll learn not to offer my two cents when some say that's all the sense I have.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I don't have a good feeling about using any kind of cattle mixture so I'm not about to do that.

Heartguard has raised their prices

You are so right about that one, but that is all my vet offers. I doubt he'd be giving out a RX to another brand. Marking up his meds is one way of making money.

My thought is that anyone who can afford to own horses, a huge non-necessity and luxury, can surely afford to give their dog the proper heartworm preventative.

I feel the same way Jill. I don't cut corners or try to on my animal's health, feed, or anything, never did. When that day ever comes, I won't have animals.

Marty ivermectin is the main ingredient in several of the heartworm meds.

There are a few generics or alternate brands that have been named and look online to see if you can get them cheaper alot of the online/catalog companies do sell for less.

And heartworm isn't something that is prevelant the world over some of us live in places where heartworm has never been an issue.

The proper heart worm preventative? Which one is the proper one? The woman I was talking about has treated her dogs (Aussies) with this mixture every month for many years and she's never lost a herding dog to Ivermectin poisoning. It has no ill side-effects on her dogs, they stay healthy and well taken care of. Her treatment regimen has been cleared as healthy and efficient by 3 different vets.

I can't help but feel offended by the statement that "surely I can afford to buy the proper treatment for my dogs". I think there are several people (like me) that would like to be able to save a few dollars when and wherever they can as long as they do not compromise the health of their pets.

A higher price and a name brand doesn't mean that it's a superior treatment method no more than a higher price and a big farm name means you're getting a superior horse. The name brand means absolutely nothing to me... to me the major factor is it's ability to safely, and efficiently treat my dogs. But hey...that's just me and since I don't have a "name brand" reputation around here you're welcome to blow off my opinion.
For one thing, my remark was not directed at you.

As to the proper preventative, in my opinion (as that's the one I know the best), the proper kind for starters is what's made specifically for dogs. A vet can advise what is safe for certain breeds as mine has advised me.

We have 6 dogs, 2 of whom are "large". The cost of the heartworm medicine hasn't been a second thought since it is so inexpensive. It costs more than the stuff made for livestock, sure, but it's safe for my dogs including my herding breed Collie.

When it comes to dogs, the "Ivermetcin Rule" goes:

[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

White feet, don't treat

When it comes to dogs, the "Ivermetcin Rule" goes:

[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

White feet, don't treat

Jill beat me to it... This is what I've always read/heard. It's the "white-footed" dogs that are more likely to react negatively to ivermectin. [collies, aussies, corgies, shelties and I'm sure there are others.]

Latest posts

Back